Chainsaw jig for blocking firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeyman13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a blueprint for a jig that I could connect my chainsaw too, that would basically be used to block for firewood? I am looking for something that is portable and easily set up in the field.

I thought I had seen an image (or web link) on this site a few weeks back, but could not find it today...

I hope I explained myself properly....

Cheers

Terry

seems to me like a Rube Goldberg way

Why not do like everyone else and just move the saw to the wood.. Instead of the wood to the saw.
Maybe I am not understanding what you are after.

Well, I had seen some set up where the saw was on a jig and the operator would end up positioning the log on the table, then the saw would come down to the wood and cut through and then stop at the table. It appeared that the operator could use one hand to handle the saw if he wanted too. Similar idea to a chop saw? That’s about as best as I can explain it...

there was a thread here before about a member doing that, but his problem was free wood already cut, but cut a few inches too long for his use. so he had a bunch of pieces that needed edged, he was not moving logs to the chop saw.
I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the thread you're remembering wasn't dealing with logs, just firewood.
-Ralph

saw rig

If you do try to build such a device I wouldn't ever try running a saw with one hand. One kick back and you could stop the saw with your face. I can't think of any way to run a saw with one hand.

This may be something like you are looking for.It works well "one handed",provided the operator controls the saw from the left hand side .

Just get a buzz saw and be done with it. Of course they aren't the safest machines around, but probably no more unsafe than trying to rig something up with a chainsaw.

This may be something like you are looking for.It works well "one handed",provided the operator controls the saw from the left hand side .

This is close to what seen, but the differance is that the picture I seen had built the jig so that the tip of the bar was secure in place and the handle of the saw would slide upwards to about a 60 degree angle, then downwards to about 1 inch below the table, the guy used it like it was a chop saw. he could place a 4 foot log (whatever diameter) onto the table and cut it into whatever length he wanted the log for firewood.

Replay to Monkeyman

Monkeyman,

I thought you had a pretty slick cordwood saw that just needed a little guarding and the right sized pulley???

There was one like KiwiTony showed in Mother Earth News or Popular Mechanics (I cannot remember which). It had plans. You might check that out.

How about a sawbuck?

I made a longer version of this with 6 "bays" so I can load 10'-12' milling slabs with out it tipping over and cut them into fireplace length, 16" in my case. I also don't need another person to hold anything.

I can't see how any of the cut off saw rigs or jigs can be better than this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sawbuck_photo.jpg

In my version I can load about 6-10 good size slabs and have them all cut in under a minute with a 20" bar on my 372. I can fly through straight polewood as well. I find if I stack too many bendy limbs pinching can be an issue but I can still cut at least 3 at a time with no trouble.
Ian

I made a longer version of this with 6 "bays" so I can load 10'-12' milling slabs with out it tipping over and cut them into fireplace length, 16" in my case. I also don't need another person to hold anything.

I can't see how any of the cut off saw rigs or jigs can be better than this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sawbuck_photo.jpg

In my version I can load about 6-10 good size slabs and have them all cut in under a minute with a 20" bar on my 372. I can fly through straight polewood as well. I find if I stack too many bendy limbs pinching can be an issue but I can still cut at least 3 at a time with no trouble.
Ian

I built a similar one using square "U"s from angle iron. Interior size of the "Us) was 18" by about 16" (sized for a 20" bar). Mounted them on two 2x6. Had IIRC 5 bays plus an 8" overhang on both ends so I could cut 6 firewood length pieces. Load it to the top with branchs, logs, anythign I could pick up. Worked great and then it would fold flat and hang on a wall out of the way when not in use. Didn't take long for me to figure out that it was way more efficient to just cut the stuff to length in the wood lot vice loading the branches and hauling them home or even hauling the jig out and using it out there. Still have the U brackets.

Harry K

Maybe I don't get it, but why the heck do you need a jig to just cut firewood!! Seems silly to me to go through all that trouble just for firewood, just pick up the saw and cut the wood??????

Years ago there was an article in Mother Earth News Magazine on cordwood construction where a guy built a fixture to hold his chainsaw on a hinge that would have the bar pointing up and he could step on a pedal that pulled a bar down to hold the wood and he had both hands to run the saw . I've often thought that V rollers as used on boat trailers would work to help position the small logs on the table .

No I don't like cutting dirt, and I don't cut dirt, I just cut roll then cut. Don't mind bending over. Cutting this way gives me exercise which we all can use from time to time.

Firewood jig?

I agree with take the saw to the wood.
When you are done cutting and bending, you put the wood and the saw in the truck and leave the mess in the bush!
Good luck with that.

Well, I am one of those guys that like to make work easier. Some call it lazieness, others call it working smarter. My thoughts are that if I can make work easier, then I can work for longer and enjoy it more. I do not like hunching over in the bush to cut wood into blocks, It hurts my back. ( I had bak surgry severial years ago, and it gets aggervated easily) then I have to quict for the day.

When I first started this thread, I was looking for ideas to build a portable table/bench/ mechnism that I could take with me to cut the tree logs into firewood. I really like the idea of the saw buck, which I used to use, but the design I seen here were far superior and would work much better than what I used to use. My cord saw is excellant for when I have lumber that needs to get cut fast and is larger round. I like this site and provides me the opertunity to learn what others are doing, and what works and what doesn't.

The one thing that I'd like to see on the site is a dictonary for the various terms and arcronums used...

Awesome site!:rock: :rock:

This is a simple Idea, but if it hurts your back to bend over and cut wood, why dont you just make a table to hold the log, so your working at waist hight, and just hold the saw and cut the wood?? Should save your back from cutting. Although you still have to bend over to pick up the wood.

Back