Chainsaws and More

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A fast turn around on sharpning chains, That will make people come to you first and than you can sell them all the other stuff. Give them a deal on the their first visit and a discount on referals. That is what i am going to do i am also orening up a shop.

Definately take into consideration all of the previous replies(there were some great ideas)! BUT also remember that SERVICE SELLS!!! Having excellent service AND customer relations is key.

We are a full sized power equipment dealer. Dolmar handheld equipment with Snapper mowers etc. I am planning on a test-log out front. Looking for some saws to hop up for looks and play. Mowers tested on site (keeps the grass mowed). We also deal with a local saw carver and he'll drop my with a log and start carving in my front yard. We hand a full specialized line of equipment. After 14 years we have a really good idea of what our customer base wants and needs. We stock over 150 different part numbers of mower blades, and 60-75 different Oregon saw chain loop part numbers. Pop machine in the 1200 sq ft. showroom. Snacks in the busy season. Mannequins, vintage british motorcycles and an 11 second drag racing Triumph powered go kart. A little bit of everything. We are an OPTI dealer and we have a huge amount of Opti-2 oil in the field and in commercial equipment from saws to trimmers and power cutters. Saw chains repaired and sharpened while you wait is important. We also offer a service that if you bring your loop in for sharpening and purchase 2 or more spare loops we'll sharpen the loop for free. DVD player in the front room is a good idea, play equipment demo DVDs or a movie...or comedy CDs. Keep the volume low and ppl don't get peeved when they have to wait a few minutes when you're busy.

Besides the hot blonde, cold beer would be the next best thing....:givebeer:

At least for me, others may disagree, but to each his own, I suppose.

Andy

Also, a knowledgable sales staff and a well stocked parts department never hurt....

manual said:
What makes you come back for more, Or dealers what do you sell other than chainsaws to keep them coming back.
I'm not talking new chains and files. other products other then weed whippers and blowers too ?

Manual, for me its all about service, parts availability, and attitude. The shops that get my business understand that $20.00 to $300.00 a week all year adds up to more than one $500.00 saw or me not coming back because what I asked for was a $2.00 part and the dealer was not interested in ordering it for me. It is very important that the people in the shop do not bad mouth a brand they do not sell, unless they have what they are talking about on hand so they can show me. I like a shop that carries used equipment as well.

litefoot said:
Make customers feel like it's a privilege to have them in your shop instead of the other way around (see my local Stihl shop). Get repairs done in a timely manner. Be willing to dicker on big-ticket items even if it's just a little bit. It makes customer feel like you're at least trying to work with them. Treat repeat customers extra special. Keep the customer area clean and well-stocked with brand (Husky/Stihl) accessories.

Great respondence, if more Ma and Pop stores did that I think the "Ma and Pop" thread on the board now would not be such a big thread. As a non-proffessional logger when I go in to some shops I feel like I am not wanted, like he is only a homeowner guy don't waste my time. A homeowner can be your best friend and the customer that the big box stores will apeal too, your pro logger is not going to lowes to by his husky 395 (he can't) but the homeowner in a heart beat will go to a box store and buy a husky 455 rancher or 353 , and if he buys his saw there he will buy his chains, his lube, his oil, his PPE (if he is smart), etc. That can be a big sale for you, be nice to the little guys that one guy might only make one big buy from you but his friends, his neighbors, etc. a lot of small guys can be worth a big guys or two because it is the homeowner who does not sharpen his own chains, who tend to need that seasonal tune up, who needs the gloves that match his saw, which match his hat, which matches his t-shirt, etc.

Also never under estimate keeping up with the Jones, his you get one guy to buy a pro-saw, now his buddy does not want to feel out done, so now he buys a pro-saw maybe even a bigger pro-saw.

litefoot said:
Don't give stuff away...you won't be in business long.:)

If you can do it free chain(s) with a saw is a great promo or free gloves (even if you built a bit of it into the price. Everyone like something free, and if you are selling chains for MSRP in your shop ($20-$30) and you can get some cheap chains(price nit quality) from baileys for ($8) OR YOU MAKE THE LOOPS ($5). You can then turn around and say hey I'm giving you $50 worth of free chain (2) with you new saw so if I am $25 more than the other guy on the saw price, the customer is still are making out on the deal (when in reality You made the loops in the back for $10). Little things free 10th chain sharping is free, or buy 5 chains get one free.

JUDGE1162 said:
Everyone like something free, and if you are selling chains for MSRP in your shop ($20-$30) and you can get some cheap chains(price nit quality) from baileys for ($8) OR YOU MAKE THE LOOPS ($5). You can then turn around and say hey I'm giving you $50 worth of free chain (2) with you new saw so if I am $25 more than the other guy on the saw price, the customer is still are making out on the deal (when in reality You made the loops in the back for $10).

For an educated consumer, these are the exact practices that pushes one AWAY from a store. I try to never purchase anything without first comparing prices. Also, I'm not going to buy chain without knowing the manufacturer, and it a simple matter to determine what it would cost to get this from an online source. If I go in a shop and someone tells me that I'm getting $50 worth of chain for free, and I can easily see their cost is $10, I'm not going to trust this business's sales practices, and probably not be a repeat customer. Honesty needs to factor into the equation also. I believe a business must make a profit, but to do so openly and honestly means a lot more to many people.

Dan

lesorubcheek if you have the tools and the know how you can make 20" (72dl) for $11.50 and 18" (68dl or 66 DL) for 10.50 from Oregon chain (good chain). Yet buy that as a manufactor packaged chain it cost $25 even online you can't touch them for much less than $13 plus shipping.

So it is easy to offer buy 5 get one free if it cost you $52.50 for the chain you sell them for average $18 a chain so $90 a profit of $37.50 even if you give away a chain you still get a profit of $27.50 so a 31% profit and that is with $18 chain which are hard to find at $20 chains with buy 5 get 1 free you would make $37 or 37% profit.

With free chains with the saw even at $11.50 cost per chain if you can charge a little more for the saw and say the chains are worth $40 for 2 chains and it only cost $23 even if you are $25 higher than the next shop the customer leaves happier with 2 free chains, it is called forced sales, a great tool for any bussiness owner that is the reason stores offer buy x get y free so instead of dropping your price by 50% for buy 1 get 1 or 33% for buy 2 get 1 and having some one buy only 1 get force the sale of 2 or three in order to get the discount. at time with a buy 5 get 1 free you might force the sale of 6 chains (5+1) when the guy was only going to buy 2 or only 1 chain but they want the discount so they buy enought for the discount.

Education and service is what I look for.
When I go into the saw shop we have around here, I seem to know whats coming out before they do. Thanks to this site.
But you would think they would know there product better.
The Husky dealer had such a big head when he opened. I walked in to buy a weed whipper. told him where I live, He told me that if he had anybody needing lawn care in my area he would call me "sales pitch". Then tryed to sell me a demo whipper said he would have to talk to his rep on price and call him in two days. So I bit, waited two days and called. He did not even know who he was talking to. said I could buy the demo, when I went in to buy it He pulls out a different one and trys to sell it to me a full price.
Well he gave me a discount after I told him what he was doing.
THEN he starts bidding against me for lawncare. Beat me at a couple because I had no insurance. Half way through his contracts the customers are calling me to complete the season out. "Now he knows my name".
A Dealer should show custotmer intrest.

I think a big snake in a case that kids can feed white mice to would become a real attraction...something that never gets old...

Make sure no matter what people bring in, the employees don't talk it down. Homeowners already feel out of place and letting them know they matter even if they don't spend $4k a year will circulate...

Employees should acknowledge a customer as soon as they come into the shop - don't make them wait around to make thier first inquiry.

Chaser

Back