• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Chainsaws & computers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppkgmsy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Jonsered wasn't working properly so I poked around and found the fuel filter was clogged. Cleaned it up and got back to work. My spiltter was stalling. I figured out the float was a bit off, adjusted it to maximum efficiency and got back to work. My computer broke down. I had to send it off with a computer wizard for several days and spend $460 so it would run again.

I don't like having equipment that I can't look at at least try and figure out what's going wrong. Maybe I'm just stubborn. A good friend of mine says we're Briggs & Stratton guys stuck in a Microsoft world.

My Jonsered wasn't working properly so I poked around and found the fuel filter was clogged. Cleaned it up and got back to work. My spiltter was stalling. I figured out the float was a bit off, adjusted it to maximum efficiency and got back to work. My computer broke down. I had to send it off with a computer wizard for several days and spend $460 so it would run again.

I don't like having equipment that I can't look at at least try and figure out what's going wrong. Maybe I'm just stubborn. A good friend of mine says we're Briggs & Stratton guys stuck in a Microsoft world.
Nah, computers can be fixed - they're just a different set of hardware requiring a different set of tools and knowledge. Microsoft however is a different problem and cannot be fixed, other than by erasing it and running Linux.

I need to buckle down and learn linux. I've installed it on half a dozen machines as dual boot, and then get frustrated and switch back to windoze. I think I'm getting too old to learn a new OS.

I need to buckle down and learn linux. I've installed it on half a dozen machines as dual boot, and then get frustrated and switch back to windoze. I think I'm getting too old to learn a new OS.

Not much different. Don't try to learn the entire OS at first, just do it application by application. Say browsers, not much difference in them.

it is just a different skill set you have to develop. It requires a basic understanding of how the OS works and some troubleshooting skills. It isn't much different than troubleshooting a saw or a tractor.

$460??? And probably all they needed to do was replace the spam filter and overhaul the registry... :rolleyes:

Not much different. Don't try to learn the entire OS at first, just do it application by application. Say browsers, not much difference in them.

it is just a different skill set you have to develop. It requires a basic understanding of how the OS works and some troubleshooting skills. It isn't much different than troubleshooting a saw or a tractor.

What's the best distro these days?

What's the best distro these days?

That largely depends on what your criteria are for "best". There's also a certain amount of religion in play when it comes to favorite distributions, so don't be surprised if someone else has different opinions than mine.

If you're just looking for you first distribution to try Linux, I'd recommend you start by looking at Linux Mint. Or, you can look at the LiveCD version of Knoppix if you want to try running off of a CD/DVD without installing on a hard drive.

If for a server running commercial applications, or you want commercial support, or if you have regulatory requirements related to government agencies then RedHat or SUSE are going to be the on the short list to consider.

If you have really old hardware that might limit your choices as well.

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 15.04 a little while ago and installed it alongside Win7. Using it now. Feels weird. :laugh:

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 15.04 a little while ago and installed it alongside Win7. Using it now. Feels weird. :laugh:

Mint tracks Ubuntu and enables more of the media and semi restricted apps, etc to make media more automagical. But..ubuntu works as well once you get into it more. Not much to it anymore, it's all click and drool now, very little command line is necessary. And stick with the long term support versions (LTS), less bleeding edge gotchas and constantly upgrading. The one you have now is short term 9 months, the one you want is 14.04, good until 2019 with small incremental upgrades.

I haven't even seen any doze for like..dunno, six seven maybe eight years now.

Back