Chaps or pants?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mesthene

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I used the search function and read for a while. After 30 years of cutting (part time) on my woodlot, using a hat/face shield/ear protection, I think it's time to get leg protection (I nicked my jeans once about 15 years ago).
Pants or chaps?
Do you trip on the chaps in the brush? Are the pants puffy and Michelin-man like? Are there enough straps on the chaps to keep them from flapping? Do the straps catch on the brush? Do they have to be very tight to avoid slipping if the chain contacts them? Most safety equipment gets used more if it's comfortable and easy to put on. With that in mind, which chaps/pants are lightest and most comfortable?
Did you notice I didn't ask which were cheapest?

Are my plain leather work gloves considered adequate?

I have one "homeowner" saw and one Pro saw, to minimize ridicule do I need two different chaps?

I wear Bailey's Woodsman Pro chaps when cutting firewood in my yard. Cutting timber I wear Labonville pads under Filson pants, to avoid snagging brush. Many professional fallers wear chaps though with no problems. No, you don't need different chaps for different saws. But bear in mind that most chaps aren't rated for electric saws. Most chainsaw pants fit well, and don't look stupid. They're a viable option.

And yes, your leather gloves are fine. That's all most of us wear anyway.

Jeff

I have the Husqvarna pants. The pants tend to be heavier than the chaps which can be an issue in the summer. The pants are a little on the puffy side but I would not compare them to the Michelin-man:)

I also have the Husky pants. They are a bit heavy, so you might need a good belt or suspenders. The pants look like regular work/utility pants (except a tad thicker), so you can wear them in the field and back to town without looking like a dork. The Husky pants have four zippered pockets and a utility pocket (and they don't have five Fastex buckles like most chaps). By the way, the "Husky Poster Child" in my avatar is wearing the Husky Pro Forest Pants!!:)

The Labonville Snap in Safety Pads are $31.95 at Madsen's and fit into Loggers Jeans with snaps that cost $31.95 at Madsen's. Page 49 of the 2005 catalog.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well. It's not that I'm afraid of looking like a dork; it's too late for that and I'm too old to care. I'm concerned with comfort and ease of use.
When I'm not in the woods, I like to be out on the ocean. At sea, it's well known that the best PFD is the one you have on when you fall overboard. If your safety equipment isn't comfortable, you won't have it on when you need it.
What setup is most comfortable? What do you hate?

Chaps are cooler, and can be taken off when you aren't cutting without needing a spare set of pants.

Pants are warmer, are less likely to shift and don't add an extra layer over your pants.

The chaps however can shift, and they can catch on things somewhat easier.

Pants can be too hot in the summer, you need a spare set of pants to change into to take them off, they are often heavier and suspenders may be required.

It really comes down to personal preference though. I would suggest you look at both and try them on in person to make up your own mind, as some guys love the pants, other prefer chaps.

Jim,
I wear chaps, I like them better than pants because they are easy to take off if I need to move wood or brush or jump on a tractor for a while.
Pants, or chaps are like most other safety equip., you have to get used to wearing them. Either are comfortable, it's just what your used too.
In my opinion you do need two pair. Not one for each saw, but if you cut or rip the outer shell, or break a buckle or strap you won't be cutting unprotected.

Andy

Latest posts

Back