Cheap alternative to Stihl seal puller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never scratched a crank during a seal removal or pulling a case apart, and I've never heard of anyone scratching a crank. The metal in the crankshaft stub end is unbelievably hard.

I think he was meaning the machined seats in the (alloy) crankcase rather than the actually crankshaft. That's always my concern, trying to lever against something that won't dent easily.

don't know how to post a pic, but the description you described (Pioneer) sounds like the same puller that I use. Would have to change the ID dimensions to allow for different crank sizes.

Thanks.. I think I'll make some.. easier to make those than the Stihl type... Anyone have any idea what the thread pitch or thread profile is ?

Thanks.. I think I'll make some.. easier to make those than the Stihl type... Anyone have any idea what the thread pitch or thread profile is ?

don't think the thread pitch is that critical, as long as it would tighten against the seal, I think it would work. would like to know because mine doesn't work on stihl's. ( wrong shaft size. ) I don't have a lathe to experiment with, ( or the know how). if you can, you can probably sell a bunch.

The hardness of the stubs can be a bad thing though, a lot of the early 066 cranks broke on the flywheel side stub, the metal there was incredibly hard but I think the tempering process left the stubs with less shearing strength. That and running the saws with worn out sprockets causing harmonic vibration.

From my experience with Harbor Freight , if you want one, buy ten. Most of their stuff has a life span of about 2 uses then bends, breaks, or just explodes into a million pieces.

My thoughts exactly +++++++++++++++++10

Latest posts

Back