Cheap bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepe_silvia

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If I keep buying this $16/gallon Stihl Platinum **** from the saw shop I'm going to go broke. Where do you guys buy your bar oil from?

Also, is there a good source for 2-cycle oil in "bulk"?

Years ago my Stihl dealer had his oil mislabeled, I forgot the price, if I remember right it was around $7 a gallon.

Needless to say I bought them out of oil, I left with a truck bed full.

Menards... I've gotten bar and chain oil there for 8 bucks or less before. Most recently bought Husqvarna stuff for about 10 bucks a gallon. Have bought Stihl at 15 bucks one time. Depends on where I am at.

I've read about using 30W oil...anyone recommend that?

Not recommended... at least not by me. It doesn't contain the additives to help the oil stick to the bar and chain. Good three season (spring, summer, fall) bar oil is thick and sticky, winter bar oil is more along the lines of 30 weight motor oil, but still somewhat sticky.

I've used a variety of lubricants for oiling the bar and haven't had any adverse effects from anything. As 2123 said, "any" oil is better than no oil. My current usage over the last few years consists of TSC oil mixed 50/50 with 15w40 diesel engine oil. Still tacky enough and works fine for what I do. Some oils are better than others. I find the TSC oil to be above average.

For cheap bar oil I catch Tractor Supply bar and chain oil on sale and get ti for $7 a gallon. For cheap premix I use Bailey's Woodlandpro Syn oil which can be found in 5 gallon pails sometimes for $99.

Walmart sells it for 8.00/gallon I believe. Either Poulan or Supertech brand. It's as good as any that I've used.

The closest substitute is gear lube, but its about as expensive as the Stihl stuff.

My local dealer also sells it for 8 or 9 dollars as well.

i buy the stihl orange bottle oil in bulk. ends up at $8 CAD a jug which works out to $6 USD. it's the cheapest i can find anywhere. i used to run a lordco brand oil which was cheap but that was before i realized the savings on the stihl oil if i buy bulk. i also occasionally buy that 76 station oil in bulk as well when the local woodlot licensee buy a bunch. works out to about $4 CAD a jug but that don't happen that often.

Last year I saw the owner of the local Stihl Dealership in the checkout line at Rural King and he had two shopping carts piled to the sky with gallon jugs of their $6 bar oil. Looks to me like he is having a bit of an issue selling the Stihl oil.

I dont know anybody that earns a living falling trees in the bush with a chainsaw that uses anything but the cheapest engine oil available, mind you I dont get out that often to see what the general public waste their money on.
fangst

Latest posts

Back