Cheap bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usualy I mix 4 parts of the cheapest sunflower cooking oil I can find with 1 part of some el cheapo, least refined and aditived 15W-40 for three warmer seasons, 10W-40 for the winter. When I suppose long cuts, hard wood, need to dog the saw, I use 2-3:1 blend with some SAE80 trans oil-tacky as hell, esp. those intended for hypoid gears. Works fine so far, I have such an experience that sunflower oil leaves a bit less and easier removable mess on the chain than canola oil.
For sensitive enviroments (potable water supply area etc.) I use Stihl or anything "green enought" and set my price accordingly. But anyway, mixing your own you will end up with something like $7 per gallon.

I'm no pro, but I've had zero issues with used cooking oil mixed with a few gulps of Ace hardware $10/gal bar oil. Adds some tackiness to the cooking oil.

I just make sure that I flush it all out with regular bar oil at the end of the season.

Smells like bacon when I cut too.
Winner

I'm no pro, but I've had zero issues with used cooking oil mixed with a few gulps of Ace hardware $10/gal bar oil. Adds some tackiness to the cooking oil.

I just make sure that I flush it all out with regular bar oil at the end of the season.

Smells like bacon when I cut too.

I'm guessing you don't do much cutting in bear country.

I'm only going to say this once and I'm not going to be around to get into a ***** fight.
There's only one type of oil that is cheap, environmental friendly and good enough to be used as chainsaw bar oil. My bar and chain wear dropped significantly and most colleagues around me use it now with zero negative effects.
Only one! Not different sorts, only one!
Canola oil a.k.a. Rapeseed oil.

Wolter

Pretty particular about using oil...Just not particular about what kind of oil.
Right now I'm chewing through some closeout Pennzoil I got at K-mart. 80/90 gear oil for outboard motor lower units.
Got some old Castrol 30 weight bar oil still in original containers that needs burned up next.
Then on to some old 10w30, 5w30, and so on that's been sitting around taking up shelf space.
Yep, got some "good stuff" in the black jugs and "good stuff" in the orange jugs.
Figured I might as well burn up the other stuff first.

Get mine at tsc for $9 on sail for 4 liters. I was ther other week and seen a jug marked down to $2.97 cause it was dirty from sitting. What a score that was. I was happier then pig in poo.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

True Value hardware has a sale this month at $7 per gallon, it is good stuff like the TSC bar oil.

I run the green jug that Wal Mart sells. I just buy it when my jug is empty. Not real concerned with price. I bought a 6 pack of the Woodsmans Pro full synthetic 5 gallon mix bottles that I'm using up now. I also found some Silkolene synthetic mix on sale at a local motorcycle shop. I'll be using that next year. Gotta watch using the motorcycle stuff because its often not dyed blue like the small engine OPE stuff. Its premium oil at a cheap price when you can gets quarts on sale.

How long does good petroleum bar oil last w/o losing its lubricating and sticking characteristics, does anyone know?

I also use the Walmart house brand (Supertech). Just bought 3 gallons tonight at $7.97 each. That said, I typically cut my B&C oil with whatever type/weight of motor oil that I have lying around (approximately 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 B&C oil). No real reason, other than I'm frugal (cheap/miserly). I often find quarts of motor oil for free/cheap at yard sales...

I also use the Walmart house brand (Supertech). Just bought 3 gallons tonight at $7.97 each. That said, I typically cut my B&C oil with whatever type/weight of motor oil that I have lying around (approximately 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 B&C oil). No real reason, other than I'm frugal (cheap/miserly). I often find quarts of motor oil for free/cheap at yard sales...
I've used that STP oil treatment and 30 wt oil before and it made a real nice bar oil mix. It stuck to the bar may be a little too much.

Latest posts

Back