Cheap bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was on sale as of two weeks ago at $4.99. Bought 6 gallons to supplement the 1.5 gallon I had already.
I bought 30, that gets me to the next sale. It goes on sale every 3 months. The last couple times they were gettin stingy. 5.5 bucks. 6 bucks. They brought it back down to 5 again. Cheapest I've ever found.

Is the "offbrand" stuff good enough to use in my Stihl?
The time it takes for the bar oil to run the length of the bar & get flung off, the saw will never know if it's $2 or $20a gallon oil; I would guess it's a Stihl brainwash job to convince Joe Public their oil is the be all to end all, when there are a good few brands that are equal if not superior to their products, possibly at a better price We buy our bar oil in bulk with a stated amount of tackifier, & add more tacifier if required it works out about $2/2.50 for 5 litres been doing it that way for the last 8 or so years & not had any abnormal bar/chain wear When the set up is profit making/commercial the saving of $'s is always to the fore.

i get my oil from the local dealer it comes out to 5.29 w/tax per gallon the oil is just as good as any name brand out there
durex manufactures the oil i use.

By me the local Stihl dealer/hardware store sells both blue and orange bar oil for $19.99 a gallon. Or you can drive 2 minutes to Walmart or 10 minutes to Menards and get 8 or 5 dollar a gallon oil. With savings like that you can buy a new bar every few gallons.

The money I save on buying cheap chain / bar oil, I use to buy full-synth. oil for the mix.

Well, that is when I use up all my canned fuel.
How much you pay for caned fuel if ya dont mind me askin. Its almost $8-$10 with taxes a can here

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

How much you pay for caned fuel if ya dont mind me askin. Its almost $8-$10 with taxes a can here

Actually, all that I currently have (about 15-17 cans) was free. Home Depot had a thing going earlier this summer when you applied and was approved for one of their credit cards, they gave you a $25.00 credit for purchases.

They said that you could apply for up to 5 cards. I did the whole 5 and my wife did 3, all over the course of a few weeks. I used all that store credit to buy TruFuel.

I then closed each and every account while they all still had 0 purchases on them. My credit score took a slight hit, but cause of my excellent rating, it recovered quite quickly within a few months.

Home Depot's price per can was a little over $6.00 if I recall correctly.

Actually, all that I currently have (about 15-17 cans) was free. Home Depot had a thing going earlier this summer when you applied and was approved for one of their credit cards, they gave you a $25.00 credit for purchases.

They said that you could apply for up to 5 cards. I did the whole 5 and my wife did 3, all over the course of a few weeks. I used all that store credit to buy TruFuel.

I then closed each and every account while they all still had 0 purchases on them. My credit score took a slight hit, but cause of my excellent rating, it recovered quite quickly within a few months.

Home Depot's price per can was a little over $6.00 if I recall correctly.
Cool. Cant beet free.

LOL.

I talked some smack about Aaron Rodgers on a football site. I actually didn't say he was bad, just that he was overrated. You should have seen some of these people flip out. You'd think I was insulting their momma.

lol... that reminds me of the best trolling thread ever on SH... we all know who swallowed the hook until it hit his rectum...

I buy off brand bar oil all the time. Walmart, tractor supply, northern tool. Even at the grocery store. Been using it for years in my stihls and huskys. The guy I cut timber for does the same for his saws. Never a problem.

LOL.

I talked some smack about Aaron Rodgers on a football site. I actually didn't say he was bad, just that he was overrated. You should have seen some of these people flip out. You'd think I was insulting their momma.

Yup.....a while back, I repeated what someone else said about a Dodge Cummins diesel truck.

That being, that they are a 500K mile power plant stuck in a 100K mile chassis. A particular member on here just about had a hissy fit. :laughing:

He's been mad at me ever since. :innocent:

So much so, he put me on ignore. :drinkingcoffee:

For five years now in over ten work saws, polesaws, top handles ect as well l have solely run canola. lt has more advantages than disadvantages mainly being cost but others include no skin irritation, safe to use near waterways where fish are ect. Spill some and the the resident dog will be seen promptly licking it up. l find lubrication better if anything with canola.....the oil company's won't tell you that though, its something you have to google or find out through experience. The biggest issue with canola IME is if you storing bars for extended periods the canola seizes/gums up in the nose sprocket so couple of shots of bearing grease solves that. Even sprockets that seize just need a whack on some wood to free them and a good run. I have not experienced any gumming in anything other than bar sprockets that have been stored for extended periods but now if storing them will clean/flush sprocket and inject lithium bearing grease. An interesting fact to be considered is that what l save not using petroleum base oil per saw per annum is in many cases enough money to replace the saw brand new. Kind of a no brainer IMO and experience.:drinkingcoffee::drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back