Cheapest best saw that can run 22-28” bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This setup would not be ideal for a 20" bar, let alone a 24".
I agree not what I would recommend, but the OP had a 20 inch bar on the 345 ( which he already owns) and a 350 is a big step up from the 345, and a 353 is a good step up from the 350, and I believe the high compression popup piston with a gasket delete would be a good step up from the 353. I prefer an 18 inch bar in .325 with 7 pin sprocket on a stock 350, I plan to experiment with the 353/350 high compression hybrid, but will not go more then 20 inch and will stay away from 3/8 chain . I just threw the swap out there for consideration as the OP would have more grunt then he has now at minimal cost. If I were going for a larger bar then 20" I would go with an over 70 cc saw....my first choice a 372 OE or a 288 xp.

I agree not what I would recommend, but the OP had a 20 inch bar on the 345 ( which he already owns) and a 350 is a big step up from the 345, and a 353 is a good step up from the 350, and I believe the high compression popup piston with a gasket delete would be a good step up from the 353. I prefer an 18 inch bar in .325 with 7 pin sprocket on a stock 350, I plan to experiment with the 353/350 high compression hybrid, but will not go more then 20 inch and will stay away from 3/8 chain . I just threw the swap out there for consideration as the OP would have more grunt then he has now at minimal cost. If I were going for a larger bar then 20" I would go with an over 70 cc saw....my first choice a 372 OE or a 288 xp.
I've ran all of those combos. The differences are not as great as you think. For example, a 345 runs real close to a 45mm 350. Unless you're porting or going to a 346 top end there isn't a lot to be gained just swapping parts around. And even then you're not in 20" bar territory.

I've ran all of those combos. The differences are not as great as you think. For example, a 345 runs real close to a 45mm 350. Unless you're porting or going to a 346 top end there isn't a lot to be gained just swapping parts around. And even then you're not in 20" bar territory.
Glad to know CU.....the only saws I run a 20 inch on are the 262's and 266. My stock 350 pulls an 18 with no sweat.....never tried a 20 on any of the 350's I've run, nor a 16....I was planning on trying a 20 on my popup 353/350 as soon as I get it broken in a bit.....that said, I've noticed a huge difference running .325 vs 3/8 chain on marginal cc saws. Also....I tried out a Craftsman 55 cc saw I repaired for a friend that was made by MTD (nice saw, but parts are unobtainable). This Craftsman wore a 20 inch bar and had more then enough oomph to swing it. My thought was a 52cc Husky couldn't be too far behind. Also I keep in mind that sometimes people just want a longer bar to keep from reaching and bending so much and have no intention of burying the saw in thick wood where the lack of cc and power is a killer. The OP didn't specify just why he wanted a longer bar...just that he did.

I'd go for an homelite anything 80cc or bigger, hell I bought a near mint Promac700 for 375.00 and it loves a 24" bar . I've got a few 70cc or bigger vintage chainsaws and most have needed a carb refresh and fuel line.
The blue 372xp I recently got runs equally well to its Sweden counterpart also for about 240.00 with a 24" bar ,it would make a good learner/first/loaner saw.
I bought mine as a joke for my Husqvarna buddy's, but after a OEM carburetor swap it cuts and operates very well.

Another budget option if you want to go new is a 60cc Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf for $400. It won’t pull a 28” bar but it will manage a 24” and it has a magnesium case and good build quality: https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chainsaws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf

The CS-620P mentioned above by lostone is also a good option.

I know everyone likes to push used saws (and I have plenty myself) but having something new with a five year warranty counts for a lot. Finding a good used saw that has been taken care of can be it’s own project and hassle. Most people run saws hard and put them away wet.
So many replies! But I think this is the winner. I like that timber wolf.

Back