Chinese made Husqvarna?What?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is interesting to me, as I'm taking an intellectual property course right now. :)

If this is not a licensed product, the most obvious violation regards trademark law. Trademark law is not designed to protect the company, but rather the consumer. It is meant to keep confusion low and allow for you to know the quality of the product you're buying. If a name, non generic, has become associated with a certain company, then that name generally qualifies for trademark status.

Regarding patents, the majority of patents are only good for 20 years. Any patent violations would have to incorporate something in the saw that uses a patent less than 20 years old.

Trade secrets are another intellectual property concern. Unlike patents, trade secret protection has no expiration. The status lasts until the secret becomes public knowledge, at which point there is no protection. Improper means of discovery is disallowed regarding trade secrets, but reverse engineering is perfectly legal so long as the item was obtained in a legal fashion.

Welllllllllll my 372 that i bought in 2003 or somthing, the owners manuel was in half Eng and half Span.
In todays whacked out day and age, NOTHING "affordable" is fin to stay "USA" bound:(

off topic

They make them in Germany, USA (supplies 63% of world wide production) and Brazil.

Hey L.S. any idea which Stihl models come from where? I'm not sure that even the entire professional line is currently made in Germany, because while I see it's printed on the bars, I couldn't find any country of origin on the M.S. 260 itself (like how Echo has a "Made in Japan" plate on the bottom of their C.S. 670).

Anyone know which models are currently made in Germany?

I really see nothing strange in producing in China. In my job (Automotive business) it's nothing new. We get steel from China, we assemble the exhaust system in Europe, catalyst comes from South Africa, mounted with the exhaust line in Europe, shipped back to South Africa to a German car makers engine plant, engine is sent to China where the car assembly is and then the car is sent to the final customer - in Europe.
These days are wicked. 1.500.000.000 people live in China, why not give them a 350 produced locally? Husky brand will be well known, manufacturing costs low and profit huge since all tooling, fixtures, gauges etc already exist and the labour cost is ridiculous. That would wipe out the 290 sales by a hundred to one. I think we will see more of this, at least with saws that has been around for a while. It's already the case for Russia, they have the 262 new, we don't ;(

..... It's already the case for Russia, they have the 262 new, we don't ;(

I believe those 262s are made in Brazil, like some other models that is discontinued in Europe and North America.

They are also slightly downrated in power, vs the original Swedish made ones.

Trademark law is not designed to protect the company, but rather the consumer. It is meant to keep confusion low and allow for you to know the quality of the product you're buying. If a name, non generic, has become associated with a certain company, then that name generally qualifies for trademark status.

So you already know about the names that have been stolen and misused due to lax trademark protection: Xerox, Xylophone, Aspirin, Heroin (the last two were innovative Bayer products from 1897), Phillips screws, Kleenex, Popsicle, etc. Fact is, if the world takes you over before you get a good handle on your intellectual property, you've already lost.

Personally I think that it is sad that a manufacturer like Husky and Stihl would resort to manufacturing in China. Lets face it, the majority of products in China have a well deserved bad rap for poor quality control. Stihl and Husky dominate the world of quality pro grade saws for one reason, their products have stood up to the quality test in the field where proffesionals put them to work everyday making their living. To stoop to the poor quality control of chinese made production will increase their profits enormously in the short term, but what then?
How will Husky and Stihl ever recover when their products are cast into the same realm as Poulan and the other poor consumer grade saws?
When I was a young lad, Mac was the word in chainsaws. They produced quality saws that stood up well under commercial use, now all you see are the ones sitting on the Walmart shelves ready for branch trimming in the yard. I cant remember the last time that I saw a pro grade brand new Mac.
I am brand loyal, but I promise you one thing. When I lay my weary hands on the first Chinese made Husky, I am done with the brand and I dont care if they limit the chinese production to just consumer grade saws. I dont trust them enough to feel assured that the guts of my new pro grade saw wasnt made in china then assembled in Sweden to qualify for that "made in Sweden" badge of honor.
My next new saw is right around the corner, some time in September, and I had planned on a new Husky, but now I dont know.

Don't worry avalanche. No problem buying a Husky in September ;) It will have the "Made in Sweden" badge of honor. Husky has so many brands to choose from, they don't have to move production of Husqvarna labeled saws to China. Maybe some consumer grade products, just like Stihl has the pressure washers and, I think, some consumer grade brush cutters.

A root cause to all this which I dislike is that in a PLC, it's the board members mission to maximize the profit for the shareholders. Doesn't matter if you are 100 million $ on plus if you could have been 140 million $ dollars plus if you would have produced in China.

The company I work for is getting out of the China market in the next few months. Over the last couple of years, we have been outsourcing parts to China and then shipped over here for assembly. The quality is crap and the delivery is spotty at best. Come October/November, we will be almost entirely back in house. There are a few pulleys that will remain in Canada.

Most of the issue is workmanship and delivery but the falling value of the US dollar has made it unprofitable to have parts shipped over.

I don't think I would buy a Husky if I knew it was made in China. Same for another Stihl. Just like the 137/142 wouldn't be on my buy list because I know now they are just orange Poulans. I try to stay away from Made in China merchandise whenever possible. But it is getting harder and harder.

Whats this.........Petey's moving to China to help out Husky....:popcorn: :popcorn:

Yep, just as soon as he can figure out how to get all them Sweedish meatballs through customs. The Chinese do have their limits ya know.

Whats this.........Petey's moving to China to help out Husky....:popcorn: :popcorn:

Nanana , just saying that it could make sense producing consumer grade saws for 1 500 000 000 chinese consumers in their own country. You ain't complaining about the Stihl VA plant I guess ? So you gladly abandon German quality for US quality.

Last edited:
Nanana , just saying that it could make sense producing consumer grade saws for 1 500 000 000 chinese consumers in their own country. You ain't complaining about the Stihl VA plant I guess ? So you gladly abandon German quality for US quality.

Hmmmmmmm...............Mr. Drippy is a prime example of Swedish quality control.......Or lack of......:clap: :clap:

Petey if ya knew whatcha was talkin about it would help. Let me help ya ole boy. Stihl as a company monitors quailty control plant to plant. Guess which plant has the best quailty control, the VA plant. 69% of all Stihl made is made in Va Beach. So no we're not complaining about the Va plant, how can we when its the best,LOLOL

You're probably right. If a manufacturer wants to sell their widget in China they better be prepared to have manufacturing presence in China or it'll be very difficult to sell there. (unlike the US)

It would be foolish for Stihl and Husqvarna to ignore what's probably one on the largest OPE markets in the world. (I assume there are trees in China??)

Back