Choice to make 192T or 200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was in the my local Stihl dealership today, window shopping.

I am going to need a new top handle saw soon ( I have an old 020T that I'm nursing along).
The salesman was expounding the merits of the new MS192T saying it was much better than the MS200T.
Ok, it is lighter, has a primer bulb, he says the clutch is better, it costs $650less 20%. It would be easier to handle up in the tree...cheaper....
I dont like the separation of the choke lever onto the side, I would want to immediately put a 3/8P bar and chain, it comes with a 1/4PMN bar and chain that looks poxy to me.
The good old 200T is tried and true, but he says there are inherent problems but didn't elaborate, what are the problems? Here an MS200T is $1250 less 20%

Most of the wood I cut is HARD and heavy,

What you think people?

Bermie said:
I was in the my local Stihl dealership today, window shopping.

I am going to need a new top handle saw soon ( I have an old 020T that I'm nursing along).
The salesman was expounding the merits of the new MS192T saying it was much better than the MS200T.

Most of the wood I cut is HARD and heavy,

What you think people?
Ask this joker if he has ever used one, and I don't mean revving the snot out of one at the shop, actually cutting wood.

Bermie said:

Here an MS200T is $1250 less 20%

What you think people?

First, Rebuild the saw that you have - piston and rings and she will be as good as new.

Second, the salesman probably makes more money on the MS192T or has a pile of them that he is trying to move.

Third, I can't believe the 200T is $1000 :jawdrop:

Thanks for the opinions chaps!
Thanks Ekka, I don't want something that will poop out on me when I need it most, even if it's lighter to carry. Yer right Clearance, that guy doesn't leave the floor very often!

4P- $1000, believe it (and thats US$$)! That's dealer price, plus 22% duty, plus shipping, plus his mark up... then a 20% discount, special this week, normally I get 10%! Thats the price to pay for living on a speck in the middle of the Atlantic ocean! If I buy a new one I'll probably find somewhere on the East Coast and get it sent over, will probably be less all together.

My 020 is Ok, just sometimes it bogs down in the cut, have to back it out, rev it up and continue cutting, can be a pain, any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I have already replaced the fuel line due to it being cracked (perished), and retuned it.

Bermie said:
My 020 is Ok, just sometimes it bogs down in the cut, have to back it out, rev it up and continue cutting, can be a pain, any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I have already replaced the fuel line due to it being cracked (perished), and retuned it.

My guess is it has some time on it and is ready for a rebuild. Low compression is indicative of a lack of power and will result in poor performance and bogging when you load it up. Also, check your clutch. Weak, wore out springs will start splipping and result in poor performance, although I doubt it would bog the saw, instead I would think the saw would rev out, but wouldn't cut too well. Any saw mechanics want to speak up? How about you Lake?

I like the 192T but if I was in the tree biz especially full tiume I would buy the 200T or rebuild the 020T. I like the 192T for a little trim saw but its not something that you'd cut a lot of big wood with,
J.D.

192t is a good saw, but it is NOT a 200t. I like the handle design of the 192t the angle feels a little more comfortable than the square 200t but as for pure power the 200t wins. As for the bogging down problems, I would start with changing the rubber lines, since the fuel line already split, the pulse line and carb boot might be porous also. Change out the old tank vent to the newer style tank vent also. Think they breath better. If the unit has that many hours on it a carb rebuild might be in order also. I would try these before tearing in and spending a bunch of $$$ on new piston. Good luck. :)

Agreed, the 192T is a far cry from a 200T. But not if it is woods ported. Mine is very fast after Ed Heard worked it over. I really love the lightness for pruning or simple, small removals, but still use my 335 or 200T for removals as they are way faster...they're not bone stock either of course.

I agree with most of the replies so far! I have a 192t also, great little saw for trimming and pruning, I don't think it would hold up all day every day for a pro though, and you will get tired of it real quickly, it's ok once its in the cut, but seems to bog getting started.
rbtree: how much was that port work cost vs. a 200t to start with? Not insulting you're decision, I see why you went that way, lighter saw/same power. My point is it probably cost the same to just buy the 200 to start with?
Andy

I wanted to ask that!!!

Rodger doesn't do math the way most of us do:hmm3grin2orange:

There is also the longevity issue - the 192 engine isn't going to last 1500 hours... the 200T will easily.

sawinredneck, Ed only charged me $150, as some of the normal woods mods can't be done to the 192.....which I got for $230 on ebay, like new. I got it as I like the weight, it is a joy to use for long reach pruning. I can hold it at arm's length with the chain horizontal and make a cut. This is a bit hard with the 335 or the 200T, the heaviest of the 3 saws. And, even modded, once you get into wood over 6-8 inches, the bigger saws are faster. I can't remember if I compared the 192 to my totally bone stock and brand new 335 Cali....which is an oversized displacement "detuned" version of the 335. I say detuned as it has the same carb and port sizes ( I think) compared to the 35 or 38 cc 335 or 338, but is 45 cc. So it sounds like it is missing when it runs, and revs up slowly. In other words a dog...till the muffler is opened up, then it will keep up with a 200T with muffler screen removed, and have a fair bit more torque as well.

I'd detest the 192 in bone stock form...my Silky would be darn near as fast.

Sorry for rambling.

Lakeside53 said:
I wanted to ask that!!!

Rodger doesn't do math the way most of us do:hmm3grin2orange:

And you still can't spell my name, kiwidude!:biggrinbounce2:

SOOO..... You paid about as much for a modded saw as I did for a new one:buttkick:
Whos the idiot now:censored: :bang:
Again I wasn't questioning the reasoning, just curious, as I said, I love my 192, and even more after the muffler mod, but I can see times the 200 would rock, just can't justify the money for what I do with it!!
Nice by BTW rbtree:clap: :clap:
Andy

clearance said:
Ask this joker if he has ever used one, and I don't mean revving the snot out of one at the shop, actually cutting wood.

Ekka said:
200T no questions, the other one is OK but gutless

Bingo and bingo. The 200T all the way, as if you haven't already made up your mind.

Thanks for the replies

Thanks everyone, I'll do some more work on my 020 and start saving for a 200!
Again this site proves its worth, at our fingertips are folks who can offer valuable honest advice, certainly enough to give another pespective than that of an eager salesman.
Cheers all:heart:

Latest posts

Back