ClearH2OScott's 651 SOLO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw

Yoda
Reaction score
Here's Some photo's of Scott's 651 Solo. This Is the open loop version. I know everyone is going to saw that open loop versions are going to be slower but thats not what i've found. if you put the same port timing figures in that you put in theclosed loop models they eill run just as fast. Usually the open loop versions have 102 degrees duration on the transfers and 132-134 on the intake while the closed loop versions have 114-116 degrees and 140-145 on the intake. thats why the closed loop models run better stock. anyway, here are the cutting figures in a 8 by 8 cant using a 325 chisel square filed chain on a 18 inch bar
651 solo stock 6.94 and 7.03 seconds

651 solo modified 3.02 and 2.79 seconds

Thats over a 50% improvement, not bad for a 3.1 cubic inch saw
Ken
[email protected]
589-2744

Outstanding work as always Ken! Also nice to see that you are working on some small cube saws, does this mean that you will do more small saws?

Russ

Thanks again Ken!

Brown tracker says it should be here tomorrow, already counting
the minutes. New b/c due tomorrow also. Work is going to go by
slow I have a horrible feeling. The LT1 Roadmaster is going to
make record time home I believe. My Wife still thinks I'm insane.

651 solo

Hello rob and jokers
I still build a number of the small saws, not as many as the bigger falling saws and hotsaws but still build quite a few, anyway, that 651 solo is going to cause scott to mothball his 346 husky. lol.
yea, I hear you scott. there will probably be 27 hours in the day tomorrow. and we all are a little bit crazy to take a perfectly fine new chainsaw and start carving away on the ports and muffler. our wives just dont understand. but they do cut faster. let us know how it runs. never had a customer that wanted his saw changed back to the way it was stock
ken

Hi Ken,
Did you add some serious depth to those transfers? They look alot deeper than any I`ve seen in a stock saw. I also noted how they drop right into the crankcase, were they like that stock? I have dropped the transfers on an 026 and did very little else to the saw other than cleaning up the various ports and opening the muffler(still stock appearing with spark screen) and it cuts faster than my other 026s that aren`t modified. Does what I just said make any sense? LOL.

Russ

Russ, I don't know if this helps or not, but Ken said the transfers
measured out to 51% of the cylinder volume, the transfers were
opened up to 61/62% of the volume or roughly 20% overall.
As far as depth, I don't honestly know.

Transfer ports

Hello russ,
I did add a little depth to the transfers but most of the work was raising them they were very low, 102 degrees duration. I raised them to 128 degrees which is a good set up for a woods saw. they do drop out nicely into the case so we just match the transfers to the case. On the exhaust and intake ports they were very narrow, about 51% of the bore size so they were enlarged to 60-61% of the bore size
If you increase the duration on the transfers and increase the intake duration on the 026 it will run even better. Sounds like your getting the bug, oh and a pipe will help also.
ken

651 solo

Hello rich,
I've got a small air dyno that i've ran some saws on. the torque curve figures are almost always the same before and after mods as the cutting times reductions are I think that scotts 651 solo would be in the 5.5-6.5 hp range. haven't been inside a dolmar 7900 yet but they look promising. you should buy one and send it out so I can modify it. i'll bet it will be close to a husky 385
ken

Re: 651 solo

Originally posted by kdhotsaw
Hello rich,
I've got a small air dyno that i've ran some saws on. the torque curve figures are almost always the same before and after mods as the cutting times reductions are I think that scotts 651 solo would be in the 5.5-6.5 hp range. haven't been inside a dolmar 7900 yet but they look promising. you should buy one and send it out so I can modify it. i'll bet it will be close to a husky 385
ken

Well I wonder has Ken tried one of those Oh, so controversial 7900's.

Frank

I don't think Ken has had that much luck with the 7900. So I told him it must be that castor bean oil he has been using. The synthetics seem to slow the saws down a bit. LOL
John

Come on Ken, that's Bull$hit, there's no way a 7900 will even come close to my KD 385, it just didn't happen, unless of coarse it's an EHP 7900 running on a non synthetic type oil.
Sammy Sleeze Ball

Aint that the truth Ricky, if you want any secrets out there just tell Gypo but then again just tell him what you want out there and it happens to,
Nope both Gypo and me use the same oil as the rest of uses, now what is it called, i know it has a 2 in it name
2 be or not 2 be i think that is what it is called

Latest posts

Back