Clearing land and skidding with a Jeep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1foxracing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A friend and I are clearing his land to make our own private MX track on his property. He has a wood burner in his home so all the hardwood will be going to good use. I have been hauling the pine to my place for my backyard firepit. We have already dropped many trees and now it's just a matter of getting them to the bottom to be processed.
Going up the hill.
DSC00005.JPG

Looking out the side of the Jeep going up.
DSC00040.JPG

Almost to the top of the hill.
DSC00012.JPG

Top of the hill looking at the view.
DSC00014.JPG

Bucking her up into more manageable sizes to drag down with the Jeep.
DSC00018.JPG

We leave his Echo up in the brush and leave out good Husqvarnas at the bottom.
DSC00020.JPG

Our first haul coming down.
DSC00024.JPG

Looking out the front on the way down.
DSC00027.JPG

Another view.
DSC00028.JPG

Almost all the way.
DSC00033.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

Haul #2
DSC00050.JPG

Making firewood.
DSC00056.JPG

The result.
DSC00057.JPG

It was a fun day for sure and it will take us a couple years to finish the final product.

Looks like a fun project. got some pretty good hills there. what type of tree was that, my guess is either ash or hard maple.

Beefie

How come you don't use the track loader ? Got a winch on it and everything.

Nice project, nice view.:clap:

Looks like a fun project. got some pretty good hills there. what type of tree was that, my guess is either ash or hard maple.

Beefie
I do believe that 1 is hard maple, we have cut oak, cherry, and poplar as well.

How come you don't use the track loader ? Got a winch on it and everything.

Nice project, nice view.:clap:
The Jeep is faster than the loader, we will be using it for stump removal though.

The Jeep is faster than the loader, we will be using it for stump removal though.

Do yourself a big favor and push the tree over whole - stump and all, then cut the stump off. You will have a hard time digging those stumps out with that trackloader. Looks like a good time. We need pictures of those Huskys!

Do yourself a big favor and push the tree over whole - stump and all, then cut the stump off. You will have a hard time digging those stumps out with that trackloader. Looks like a good time. We need pictures of those Huskys!

Push them over with what?You would need D-8 or bigger to push them trees over!I don`t even know if that would do it.Hardwood stumps that big are DEEP! I sure would be using that track machine instead of that nice jeep.Nice lot from up top.Nice piece of land your friend has.

The jeep in the pictures is not even registered for the road, it's his play jeep. As far as the stumps we might try the Swedish candle method, cut them flush, or maybe just cover them with more dirt we will be moving anyhow.
The dozer is much slower than the jeep and uses about 3 gal of diesel a hour so it's cheaper to run the jeep to. Some of the trees very well could be butternut, we certainly are not arborist and as long as they burn OK in my friends wood stove he is happy. It was a pretty crummy weekend here in Ohio compared to the past few weekends so we didn't do any more cutting.

Looks like a decent shaped vehicle.Is that saw a 4400?if it is, how do you like it?I use mine for firewood a lot.I think it`s built well and the antivibe is decent.I did go with a better chain, instead of the low kickback junk chain it came with.If you haven`t changed it, you should try it, it makes a big difference in cutting speed.

what kind of bikes are you gonna be riding there? ive got a ktm 600 that i used to ride at a friends place. he did the same thing you are now doing - except he did use a dozer to set up the track. the wood in the first few pics (the ones with the log thats got the chain around it and you cutting) looks like red oak or a very close relative. the one that you are bucking down at the bottom looks like polplar or maybe ash.

Suprised nobody has mentioned his lack of ppe. Looks like you gotta lot of work ahead of you, get yourself a pair of chaps and some earplugs at least. The chaps are a hell of a lot cheaper than a trip to the e.r.

Suprised nobody has mentioned his lack of ppe. Looks like you gotta lot of work ahead of you, get yourself a pair of chaps and some earplugs at least. The chaps are a hell of a lot cheaper than a trip to the e.r.

I was just about to throw the PPE comment in when I saw yours. I second the motion - PPE, chaps, gloves, hearing and face shield are a good idea.

I was just about to throw the PPE comment in when I saw yours. I second the motion - PPE, chaps, gloves, hearing and face shield are a good idea.

+1
I noticed it too - but I got side tracked when I started thinking about my buddies track and that one time I drove my f-250 over the tabletop. Not one of my smartest moments.

Back