Clogger Chainsaw Chaps Evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A lot of guys in the US seem to buy their chaps where they buy their saws: STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO, etc. Labonville gets positive comments on these sites, and there are basic chaps sold on-line, or in some home centers.

In Europe, chainsaw protective pants are the standard. These are popular here with some arborists, who wear them all day; especially those who climb. The newer protective pants use high tech fabrics and materials to make them lighter, breathe better, and more flexible. Frankly, some of them also have a 'Professional' look that some guys like.

So I was very interested in the opportunity to evaluate some chaps made by a 'pants company'. 'Clogger' is a New Zealand manufacturer that has been sewing chainsaw protective wear for over 25 years, and selling here for few, including through some site sponsors.

IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_4406.jpg

There are different standards for chainsaw protection in different countries, and this can be confusing. Clogger has some technical information in the Blog on their website, which helps explain why some European stuff is not sold here, and vice-versa, along with information on chain speed ratings, and different types of protective fibers, etc. https://goclogger.com/

Philbert

Why Chaps?

The choice between chaps and pants could fill a few threads by itself. For the cutting that I do, I like to remove the chaps and have my work clothes on for other tasks, without the need to find a place to change. I also don't climb. Sometimes I like the additional layers of padding, like when walking through a brushy area, and having an outer garment that repels water, and collects most of the dirt, oil, etc.

But chaps can be hot, heavy, or stiff. I like wearing mine with suspenders, to help support them, and I like them to be easy to remove at breaks to cool off. They have to cover the parts that need protection, and fit comfortably, which might vary with the individual.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-wrap-chaps-mod.126733/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/labonville-wrap-chaps-mod.312320/
Finally, the chaps need to hold up to use, and be easy to maintain. Many protective garments specify 'hand wash and line dry only', which gets old fast, and discourages cleaning; it's hard to do this effectively. And with shared gear, such as that used by groups I volunteer with, the sweat and mud left by the previous wearer can be less than charming.

Philbert

First Impressions -1

I asked for a pair of their 'DefenderPRO' chaps, because I like the idea of a tough, nylon outer fabric, with a waterproof coating, that will hold up to dirt, abrasion, and heavy use. They also provided a pair of their 'ZERO' lightweight chaps for comparison.

Both are full-wrap styles for protection of the calf areas. Both products have the same protective rating (3,500 ft/min chain speed), and both are certified to US and Canadian standards.

IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg

My initial impression on receipt was very positive: the quality and appearance of the packaging, materials, finish, etc., are all very good. ***But they were not what I expected***. My image of 'chainsaw chaps' is that they are flat, orange, and bulky: these are very slim, thin, and color coordinated. Frankly, if I did not trust the company, and the UL certification label, I would assume that these are designer versions of 'homeowner' grade chaps. But their ratings exceed the US ASTM F1414 standard of 2750 ft/min by a considerable margin.

IMG_4403.jpg

Clogger states that their selection of protective fibers, and the bi-directional way that they weave them, allows them to make thinner, lighter weight chaps that prove the same protection as bulkier designs,

Philbert

They make good stuff- but I personally am not a fan of chaps and wear full rated trousers instead.
They make some nice ones of those as well, in various grades/weights/flexibility, from winter weight felling trousers to light flexible climbers arborist trousers- plus a whole heap of other chainsaw associated safety gear.

First Impressions -2

As noted, these are slim fitting chaps. One surprise was the 'Velcro' (hook-and-loop) closure, along with the buckles, on the wrap portion of the chaps. This was an issue I had with both the Husqvarna and Labonville chaps I had purchased (links above, in second post). There was a slight learning curve to putting these chaps on with the Velcro and 5 (!) buckles per leg, as there was a tendency for folds of my jeans to get caught in there. For me, it appears easier to secure the lower portion of these chaps first, then work my way up to the waist belt: this is the opposite of how I normally don chaps.
IMG_4404.jpg

I asked for 'medium' sized chaps, partially based on my experience with other brands: I could have fit into a size 'small'. Their size guidelines run true to what I received, and I am still able to wear these comfortably with the stiff, lower, protective leg section, and with the suspenders that I normally wear with chaps.

Both the European and US specifications are 'performance based', relying on test samples secured in very specific manners. The Clogger rep noted that in a 'real world' chain strike, the speed and force of the chain would be likely to rotate the chaps on the wearer's leg, which is why they use the Velcro and 5 buckles. On some other brands of wrap chaps I have seen only 4, and even only 3 buckles. So the extra effort in donning and doffing may result in additional protection, even though, they all meet the same standard.

Philbert

DefenderPro vs Zero

As noted, I asked for their 'DefenderPro' model due to the more durable outer fabric. When walking through wet, thorny brush, the heavier nylon material, with a polyurethane coating, should provide additional (non-chainsaw) protection, and hold up longer. These chaps have a harder, stiffer feel when worn, but their thin profile allows them to still be very flexible and agile, even if a bit noisy. Some of this may change after they have been laundered a few times (?).

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

O.M.G.!

The difference between the 'Zero' and 'DefenderPro' chaps is like the difference between wearing pajamas and waxed Carhartts!!! Similar thickness, and the same protection rating. Same inner fabric. The outer fabric on the Zero model is described as 'lightweight and breathable'. It is also soft, and quiet. I do not feel the need to take them off, even as I write this!

Reminds me of the difference between some 'homeowner' and 'Pro' chaps that I have - sometimes I would wear the 'homeowner' chaps when it was a short duration, low risk task, or hot out. Times when I didn't really want to put chaps on, but knew that I 'should'. But these are more of a 'Pro' grade!

The Zero fabric has an applied water resistant coating on it, that Clogger says can be reapplied if it wears off after several launderings.

Philbert

Evaluate and Compare

These are high end products and I am not going to jam a running saw into them to test: sorry, that's for the manufacturers to do! But I wanted to compare them against something fair, so I chose some STIHL 'Performance Wrap Chaps - 6 Layer' that I have used and like. They fit (me), have held up well, and are machine washable* and dryable - a real plus.

IMG_4412.jpg

*Note that Clogger's printed materials state that their chaps can be machine washed (warm) and line dried, although, the garment label states 'warm hand wash'. Clogger's rep assured me that these are, indeed, machine washable, which is very important to me. Most chaps I have seen, aside from the STIHL chaps sold in the US market state 'hand wash, line dry'. Anyone who has hand washed chaps understands the difference in convenience and the effectiveness of cleaning.

The difference in thickness between the Clogger (new) and STIHL (used and laundered) chaps is remarkable. Note that STIHL also sells their 'Pro-Mark - 9 layer' chaps here in the US. The thickness of the various chaps should affect how hot they are to wear, along with user agility.

IMG_4415.JPG

I may have to wait a bit, after the confinement of current events, to get a chance to try and compare these in actual cutting situations.

Some objective comparisons that I was able to make with a postal scale:
- Zero Wrap Chaps (39") 2# 7.7 oz (5 straps)
- Defender Wrap Chaps (39") 2# 13.1 oz (5 straps)
- Labonville Wrap Chaps (35") 2# 15.7 oz (3 straps)
- STIHL 'Performance - 6 Layer' Wrap Chaps (40") 3# 5.8 oz (4 straps)

Philbert

First Impressions -2

I asked for 'medium' sized chaps, partially based on my experience with other brands: I could have fit into a size 'small'. Their size guidelines run true to what I received, and I am still able to wear these comfortably with the stiff, lower, protective leg section, and with the suspenders that I normally wear with chaps.

Philbert

Yeah- we grow real sized men over here. :ices_rofl:

Yeah- we grow real sized men over here.
In fairness, some has to do with my stature and my, um, 'mature' male physique!

But sizing can vary with manufacturer, aside from the confusion between 'inseam' and 'outer leg' measurements. Nothing beats being able to actually try things on (any article of clothing or footwear).

Philbert

In fairness, some has to do with my stature and my, um, 'mature' male physique!

But sizing can vary with manufacturer, aside from the confusion between 'inseam' and 'outer leg' measurements. Nothing beats being able to actually try things on (any article of clothing or footwear).

Philbert

So very true! Latest set of chainsaw trousers I bought were an online deal and I made sure I had "right of return" evidence from them in email form before I paid!
But they also were not Clogger....... even though Clogger are only about 45 miles down the road from me.

So very true! Latest set of chainsaw trousers I bought were an online deal and I made sure I had "right of return" evidence from them in email form before I paid!

Chaps should be more forgiving than other types of garments. Buying shoes / boots by mail is a real problem for me.

Philbert

But they also were not Clogger....... even though Clogger are only about 45 miles down the road from me.
Hey, a fellow kiwi! Where abouts are you based?

Thanks Philbert for your review. It is always nice to see other options. The chaps I have I bought after the USFS put out a memo that all chaps need to have accordance with 6170-4F or greater specification. I like on the Clogger's how the Velcro keeps it together around the back. Curious if those are approved by the USFS?

I don't wear them for hiking, this can mean 12 miles up and down elevation. There are stuffed in a pack. To hot and too restrictive.

Here is what I have been using.
20200401_155148_resized.jpg20200401_155234_resized.jpg20200401_155257_resized.jpg20200401_155321_resized.jpg20200401_155357_resized.jpg

G'Day Cloggerpro, does Tammy still work at Zenitec? If so, can you remind her I'm still looking for an XL ArborMax 2nd (yeah, likes hen's teeth) if any come available, for a mate. Heck, come to think of it, I could do with another pair of chaps or the outer nylon on my ones patched (the usual spot for me - left knee must have been kissed a few times). If she's still there I'll email Tammy...

The chaps I have I bought after the USFS put out a memo that all chaps need to have accordance with 6170-4F or greater specification.
That is an example where an employer or agency specifies a higher level of protection, specific materials / construction, etc. That spec is 21 pages!!! (The Constitution of the United States was only 4 pages!).
https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/fire/documents/0004/6170_4G.pdf
Different people have different needs, as well as personal preferences:
- homeowners
- firewood cutters
- farmers
- utility workers / line clearance
- wildland fire fighters
- loggers
- arborists
- etc.

One style might not fit all, so it's good to have choices. If I don't need the fire resistance, and I can get adequate protection with chaps that are lighter, cooler, less expensive, etc., that is a better choice for me. If I wore mine all day, everyday, I might choose another option, or the protective pants.

Philbert

Back