Clogger Chainsaw Chaps Evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read a USFS fatality report on that. Wearing chaps. Holding back brush with his legs so his partner could cut. MS460 to the femoral artery.

Philbert
Never cut in the direction of anything 1.) valuable, 2.) you don't want to cut, especially if using a STIHL saw, because they're ruthless. (Maybe it's the chain.)

I'm fairly sure that maneuver will show up in a USFS training video now... :rolleyes:

Keep saying I should buy pants or chaps but so far ain’t bought nothing
Please please do. The one time you will find out you needed them will be when you did and were not wearing them. Best not go there. Examples.
I was only driving round the corner when it happened. The other car hit me I had no seat belt on.
I was ony making a couple of cuts so I didn't bother.

Just last week a wild Rose stem about 1 inch plus thick whipped across my face and nose as I was lopping it.
I looked around at my head shield with built in wire mesh face guard and ear defenders laying in the grass convicting me of my stupidity. So easily done. Take care and stay safe

First Impressions -2

As noted, these are slim fitting chaps. One surprise was the 'Velcro' (hook-and-loop) closure, along with the buckles, on the wrap portion of the chaps. This was an issue I had with both the Husqvarna and Labonville chaps I had purchased (links above, in second post). There was a slight learning curve to putting these chaps on with the Velcro and 5 (!) buckles per leg, as there was a tendency for folds of my jeans to get caught in there. For me, it appears easier to secure the lower portion of these chaps first, then work my way up to the waist belt: this is the opposite of how I normally don chaps.
View attachment 813359

I asked for 'medium' sized chaps, partially based on my experience with other brands: I could have fit into a size 'small'. Their size guidelines run true to what I received, and I am still able to wear these comfortably with the stiff, lower, protective leg section, and with the suspenders that I normally wear with chaps.

Both the European and US specifications are 'performance based', relying on test samples secured in very specific manners. The Clogger rep noted that in a 'real world' chain strike, the speed and force of the chain would be likely to rotate the chaps on the wearer's leg, which is why they use the Velcro and 5 buckles. On some other brands of wrap chaps I have seen only 4, and even only 3 buckles. So the extra effort in donning and doffing may result in additional protection, even though, they all meet the same standard.

Philbert
i'm very interested in the zero wrap chaps . but i'm a big boy , 6 ft and a little north of 300 . when you say slim fitting does that mean someone my size might want to look elsewhere for something with a bigger fit ? if so what do you recommend . i'm new to chainsaws and i'll just be getting firewood for our HeatMaster boiler . i have a MS400c if it makes any difference . if the zero/pro defender will provide adequate coverage for big boys i'm leaning towards the zero for the comfort and cooling you mentioned .

BTW , whare y'alls thoughts on the cloggers vs "LABONVILLE Extreme Competition Safety Wrap Chap" ?
Philbert's and others thought are appreciated . thanks , jeff

i'm very interested in the zero wrap chaps . but i'm a big boy , 6 ft and a little north of 300 . when you say slim fitting does that mean someone my size might want to look elsewhere for something with a bigger fit ? if so what do you recommend . i'm new to chainsaws and i'll just be getting firewood for our HeatMaster boiler . i have a MS400c if it makes any difference . if the zero/pro defender will provide adequate coverage for big boys i'm leaning towards the zero for the comfort and cooling you mentioned .

BTW , whare y'alls thoughts on the cloggers vs "LABONVILLE Extreme Competition Safety Wrap Chap" ?
Philbert's and others thought are appreciated . thanks , jeff

Clogger Zero PRO Light and Cool UL Chainsaw Chaps Calf Wrap Size Chart​

Waist size is adjustable up to 49inch/125cm with an available 18inch/45cm belt extension.
Overall Length Of Garment
SizeCMIN
S9136
M9839
L10541
Fits Person With Inleg Length
SizeCMIN
S68 - 7427 - 29
M74 - 8029 - 31.5
L80 - 8631.5 - 34
Maximum Ankle Circumference (360° only)
SizeCMIN
S4618
M4618
L4919
Maximum Calf Circumference (360° only)
SizeCMIN
S5019.5
M5120
L5321

thanks iffykid . i saw that chart on their website . i was amazed that at 6 ft and 300+ that i would wear a small . 28 inch inseam here , my height is in my spine/torso . my belly button is 37ish inches from the floor . hahahaha .

and thanks Philbert . i thought you might have meant for folks with skinny legs . had me wondering if they wouldn't wrap around big thighs enough to give them proper protection .

I have the Labonville competition chaps and they are pretty bulky and cumbersome but better than sawing into your epidermis. Done that in the past and have the scars to prove it. Not gonna test them unless absolutely necessary either.

I wouldn't want to climb with them on but then I don't climb trees anyway. I leave that up to one of my arborist customers and their High Rangers

My ongoing philosophy is, only takes a second of stupidity to last a lifetime.

Said before how neatly a 404 pitch chain cuts human soft tissue but in the end, it always takes many stiches to close up that incision...

don't want bulky and cumbersome ,
seems like that only leaves the zero as far as chaps go .
and they seem to be as safe as any other chap out there and safer than some others .
looks like i'll still be ordering them wednesday .
thanks folks , Jeff

One comment I would have as I think chaps are more dangerous than pants or pants inserts. The damn straps always get caught on brush and other stuff causing trips and slips.
Back in the day I sometimes used inserts, but with the nice pants out now I might go that route.
I really don't cut much anymore compared to then so I go bare, but I probably shouldn't be.

One comment I would have as I think chaps are more dangerous than pants or pants inserts. The damn straps always get caught on brush and other stuff causing trips and slips.
Back in the day I sometimes used inserts, but with the nice pants out now I might go that route.
I really don't cut much anymore compared to then so I go bare, but I probably shouldn't be.

Exactly why I dont wear chap type and wear full trousers- but since I converted way back in the late 1980's- chap design has come a long way and there are full leg wrap zipper fastening versions now.
Clogger have a few different options- especially good if you like to remove protective gear before climbing in to the truck cab to drive home.

thanks guys . i was initially gonna get something in the 100ish + range and go with husqvarna or stihl . then i read about the comfort and coolness of the zero wrap chaps and decided to bite the $200 bullet and get them based on many comments from many people on forums and videos about folks having chaps but not wearing them due to how hot and uncomfortable they are ..... because i'd be much more likely to use them .

i'm brand spanking new to chainsaws/fire wood . only plan to supply wood for our boiler . and plan to get the easiest wood i can , dead falls , uglies from a local arborist i met last week . and maybe a small to medium tree here and there someone wants down . the $200 for the zero chaps pushed beyond what i can afford or are willing to pay ..... but due to the enabler's here and other places i am . but $400 is just too much .

i know , cost of hospital bills and pain of in jury and recovery , or maybe death . but it is what it is .
i hope no one feels disrespected or ignored and i appreciate all the replies .
thanks , jeff

100.00$ will buy excellent wrap chaps.

Those cloggers look seriously overpriced to me. For my use, I wouldn't even consider them.

All products from australia and new zealand are expensive due to exchange rates and such.

Part of the cloggers high price is simply that.

I only have two pairs of chaps. Stihls and Foresters. I prefer the foresters. And they are less expensive. Go figure. They are both zipper bottom calf protection style. I don't want straps that low to the ground.

I wouldn't even consider the apron style ones.

Oh, and in my opinion and for my use, chaps are both cooler and more convenient.

Those cloggers look seriously overpriced to me. For my use, I wouldn't even consider them.

All products from australia and new zealand are expensive due to exchange rates and such.

I only have two pairs of chaps. Stihls and Foresters. I prefer the foresters. And they are less expensive. Go figure. They are both zipper bottom calf protection style. I don't want straps that low to the ground.

Oh, and in my opinion and for my use, chaps are both cooler and more convenient.
$100 will buy excellent chaps if you are ok with hot and heavy been there done that.

I like my insulated nylon pants with inserts in the winter.

I like my Zero pants if I am going to be cutting all day.
I like my Zero chaps for those times I do not want/need to wear pants all day.

I purchased both of my Zero's from Sherill tree as they had 10-15% off coupons and free shipping, because I am cheap.

Adjust the straps to your liking give and extra little bit, then cut them and burn the fringes. Can't stand how big the straps were in my husqy tech chaps. Like they were made to wrap around godzillas ankle.

They are pricy, compared, even, to very high quality, STIHL and Husqvarna, ‘Professional’ grade chaps. Hard to justify for some guys: might cost more than their saw.

But, side-by-side, you can see and feel some of the differences.

Some people who wear chaps, or chainsaw protective pants, all day, every day, might feel the additional cost is worth it.

Just like with boots snd other gear.

If I can get a guy to wear a pair of basic, $50, ANSI approved, chaps, that’s a big starting point. Where they go from there, is mostly up to them.

Philbert

Unless you've used cloggers your opinion is invalid.

Adjust the straps to your liking give and extra little bit, then cut them and burn the fringes. Can't stand how big the straps were in my husqy tech chaps. Like they were made to wrap around godzillas ankle.
I did do that. The problem was the straps around the ankle/calve area where stick magnets. It's not so much the excess straps catching, it's a matter of sticks getting between the chap and strap.
These where Labonville chaps btw.

Latest posts

Back