Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the signs, he has 1, looking for more. Its like watching a crazy cat lady, first it's 2 then 3, next thing you know, the whole place smells of cat pee. Get out now, son, while it still in the early stages, unless you love the smell of gas and oil. I already have clothes that are dedicated to working on old saws. The wife understands and I try to work with her. More than once clean, freshly painted crankcases have been hung by the woodstove to dry cause it's too clod out in the garage. Hope you have an understanding wife, LL.

I ended up with a baaaad case of CAD. It started with my Homelite super xl automatic and spread from there. I now have 6 running saws and 7 or 8 projects. Kinda annoyed the wife till I started talking about restoring an old F100. She doesn't mind as much now.

Yo lebowski! Got my saw going, finally had a lil time to mess with it. Man a strato is crazy sensitive I was making 1/16 of a turn adjustment at the end that were making huge changes in the way it was running. Glad we both got things going again. You just made it out of the boat before I did.
To everyone that give advice and tips, thanks a bunch for the help.

Guys when I got that thing to four stroke just right. I cut that thing off and strutted around the yard like a fat chicken! Just further confirming my chainsaw addiction.

Great to hear Blisters. Glad you got her running. Watch out, now you will cringe when you hear other people running out-of-tune 2 strokes. :D

I ended up with a baaaad case of CAD. It started with my Homelite super xl automatic and spread from there. I now have 6 running saws and 7 or 8 projects. Kinda annoyed the wife till I started talking about restoring an old F100. She doesn't mind as much now.

Ya, it is perspective. Compared to any other hobby that involves things with engines, it's cheap.

Dude at werk got several saws. Every time one won't start or quits he buys another. I'm gonna make a deal. Maybe fix a couple for the rest.

The next logical step is to get a few tools for the diagnosis of the condition of the saws you are going to work on. First is a compression guage that has a Schrader valve in the end that goes in the spark plug hole, this is critical for two stroke engines, no compression , no run. Most automotive gauges don't need this valve in the tip, so look carefully. Second is a vacuum pressure guage, needed for doing diagnostics to find both vacuum and pressure leaks, a leading cause of two stroke engine failure. Without these tools you will chase your tail and never know exactly what's wrong. Also a compressor is very helpful as these saws are usually covered in sawdust and crud which makes it difficult to work on . Now get started, no time like the present!

Got a good compression tester, don't know much about a vac. Tester got a compressor and various air tools, couple dremel tools. Almost everything I need. Once I get this carb tuning down a bit better. I may try a mild port job. I have 2 identical saws I got about a month apart. I think it would be very cool to have a physical before and after, insted of I know it's better, but how much? I can run one then the other. Thanks grizz.

Where might I find this vacuum tester? Is this a expensive tool?

mityvac is one brand name, I got the 8500 kit

Of course I promptly screwed it up using it to vacuum bleed brakes, somehow it contaminated the seals, so took a seal kit and deep cleaning to fix it. Now it is "small engines only". I went back to the old two person method of brake bleeding.

I've got so much work to do in my yard... Yesterday, my youngest was napping so I busted out my axe (didn't want to wake him with the sound) and started felling small (in diameter, still fairly tall) trees. Next thing I know, my kids are happily watching and helping push the trees over. Gotta finish limbing them, then I'll stack them up, make sure my chain's sharpened, and chop them up with the 5020AV.

I've got so much work to do in my yard... Yesterday, my youngest was napping so I busted out my axe (didn't want to wake him with the sound) and started felling small (in diameter, still fairly tall) trees. Next thing I know, my kids are happily watching and helping push the trees over. Gotta finish limbing them, then I'll stack them up, make sure my chain's sharpened, and chop them up with the 5020AV.
Be careful lebow u will have them addicted to chainsaws.

Old guy down the road has a old stilh saw with a 4 ft. 2 man bar. Told him I gotta see that. Said he had several old saws just laying around. Mmmm chainsaws.

Old guy down the road has a old stilh saw with a 4 ft. 2 man bar. Told him I gotta see that. Said he had several old saws just laying around. Mmmm chainsaws.

I am always keeping my eyes open for a good local deal, I need to hit the pawnshops.

Most of our pawn shops here in eastern NC. don't take saws anymore said they just lay around too long. So I gave the lady my # said if anyone came in with a saw that she would have them call me. Still gota few more I can check with.

Latest posts

Back