Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have searched and searched, my apologies if this rehashes old questions long answered.

I am a family man on $300 or less budget who just bought a few acres of heavily wooded Virginia land that was neglected for two years (no one lived here). Plus, the house has two wood burning stoves.

I would like to jump into a used pro-grade saw but am open to a decent consumer grade saw. I don't think I have many trees that are more than 8" in diameter that I will be using a chainsaw on.

I am not afraid to tinker with nor maintain tools and equipment but would prefer either a new saw or one refurbished/checked over from someone the forum recommends.

I am somewhat weight sensitive as though I am in decent shape and not weak, both my strong side elbow and shoulder have had to be surgically rebuilt. I am not entirely new to using a saw but I will damn sure be safe and wear PPE.

S/F to my fellow Marines on here.

Thank you for your time if you've read this.

Pick up a brand new poulan pro 5020 for 200$ and invest the rest in chains and proper ppe(=personal protection equipment = chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, boots, etc.). An excellent saw for someone like you on a budget and easily more than up to the task you have at hand! You could easily clear cut your whole property with the above saw, just make sure carb adjustments are correct, keep the chain sharp, etc.

But don't believe me, look at the thread here on this site about the above saw and convince youself.

On second thought, since you mention problems with your shoulder, take a serious look at the dolmar 421. Easily up to your task, built like a pro saw, BUT with an easy start your shoulder is going to LOVE! This is how difficult it is to start(this is the predecessor to the 421 but still the same easy start system). Just a tad over 300$.

How does it hold up? A few pros here use them and have run hundreds of refills through them and only replaced chains and bars.

Husqvarna 455 is a good one. I used mine for years with nary the issue. New with 4 year warranty for $379.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A light 40cc saw with a 16" bar will do everything you describe, and there are many good choices. Most are homeowner grade, but good saws anyway. You can still find new RedMax GZ4000's on eBay for about that money, and those are the best 40cc saws ever (IMHO!).

I can personally recommend a Stihl MS270. Light, cheap, reliable, 50cc. I'm not sure what the current model is (I've gotten into Huskys now) but I see them pop up used up here in Canada for $200-250, and everything seems to be cheaper in the states.

I've used mine for years and cut a lot of wood and the only thing that ever went wrong is my kill switch quit (just a poor design).

Good luck!

Used Stihl 026 would be perfect, a 028 would be suitable though some parts are getting more scarce. Husqvarna 353 or 346 or the Jonsered twins would be great. There would also be good options from Echo, Makita/Dolmar, would also work. Look for something in the 40-50cc range, keep your bar short (13-16") and get proper protective gear.

Buy a good used pro saw and it will take care of you. Metal crankcase, proper bolt-on cylinder, things like that. Skip the plastic chassis saws.

from injuries perspective i would wholeheartedly recommend a 351/421. they start very easily...just watch the video 7sleeper posted...not that a 026/260 wont start similar to that if they are in top shape but both of those models are getting some age to them and finding them in good working order that requires a minimum of effort to start is getting difficult.

I'm with the Stihl 026 crowd. Lots of them available and a good saw. Any parts needed are available. Light, nimble and long lived. Should easily carry out any required task you have for it. If you buy one right and don't like it, you should be able to get all your money back. They sell for $150 to $300.

from injuries perspective i would wholeheartedly recommend a 351/421. they start very easily...just watch the video 7sleeper posted...not that a 026/260 wont start similar to that if they are in top shape but both of those models are getting some age to them and finding them in good working order that requires a minimum of effort to start is getting difficult.

I have seen that video several times, but think that the Stihl easy start is a much better system for someone who had a bad shoulder. It is much smoother and does not have that jerky motion.

All saws mentioned will do you well. I like the Husky 445 if you wanna go new...they're just over $300 at NT. And NT always has coupons. The used suggestion of an 026/MS260 is a great option as well. Don't own any Dolmars, but their reputation speaks for themselves. They're a quality saw.

Gents, my shoulder/elbow can handle starting so long as it doesn't take many pulls. However, I would prefer the lighter saws.

I appreciate the suggestions and am searching based off of them.

All saws mentioned will do you well. I like the Husky 445 if you wanna go new...they're just over $300 at NT. And NT always has coupons. The used suggestion of an 026/MS260 is a great option as well. Don't own any Dolmars, but their reputation speaks for themselves. They're a quality saw.

NT?

Back