Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the evidence, but without looking at the actual saw, it seems like it was tuned too lean. Overheated, melting the tube in the oil tank and torching the piston. I'm still new to this, so tell me if that sounds right.

With all the evidence, but without looking at the actual saw, it seems like it was tuned too lean. Overheated, melting the tube in the oil tank and torching the piston. I'm still new to this, so tell me if that sounds right.

Could be scored by now. He would have to take the muffler off to look, or perhaps just remove the sparkplug and use a borelight to see down in there and look at the cylinder walls.

I am still wondering about the fuelcap and vent. Online in some reviews I read, some people have had problems with them not working correctly as per the vent. And eventually some swell and get hard to take off.

I am still wondering about the fuelcap and vent. Online in some reviews I read, some people have had problems with them not working correctly as per the vent. And eventually some swell and get hard to take off.
It's the same fuel cap/vent used on bazillions of 42cc Poulans (incl Wild Things) for years. They do swell and get hard to remove sometimes, but the vent is a simple duckbill and I have not had them fail. It's always possible they could get stuck closed.

Still, it takes some time for the engine to pull enough fuel out of the tank to create a vacuum and become a problem, especially if the fuel is heating as the engine warms. It would not prevent it from starting.

Back