Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are the first one that I have read of with any problems at all with the 5020. Personally I believe you won't get a better saw for the money.

You are the first one that I have read of with any problems at all with the 5020. Personally I believe you won't get a better saw for the money.

What about asking the vendor to cut me a deal on say, one of their refurbished Husqvarna 440s or 450s? They have both in stock.

Gents, I'm not real cool with this development. If you were in my shoes, would you work with the vendor to exchange it for another or would you use the PayPal guarantee to just get a refund?
I think I would exchange it and if vendor balks, you still have PayPal right?

I think I would exchange it and if vendor balks, you still have PayPal right?

They've already agreed to an exchange but I'm trying to get into a better saw that they have in stock and I have the Husqvarna 435, 440, and 450 to choose from with moderate discounts applied to their refurbished models. Alternatively, I can simply push for a refund and go buy the Dolmar 421.

Insofar as I can see, the advantages to going with a Husky from them are faster shipping (instant gratification) and known good Husky dealer not far from me.

The advantages to the Dolmar 421 are pro grade saw at $20 more than the refurbished Husky 450 and it's brand new.

I can go cheaper with the 435 or 440, are they the same saw with different bars? Are they upgrades over the Poulan 5020?

Thoughts?

No, it's melted.
Nothing could get hot enough to melt in a fuel tank unless the thing was on fire. There should only be 2 lines in the tank - the fuel line with the filter and the return from the purge bulb. If it's not one of those then who knows what it is.

I think it's important to remember that this was a reconditioned saw, which is to say a used saw and someone else's problem. I don't really think you should get any used/reconditioned saws at this point. Whatever it is, get something new that hasn't had something strange done to it already along with a hope and a prayer that someone else found it and fixed it right. Recons are fine if you've got experience and want a bargain, but you need a saw you can use now.

That said, you'll be buying a saw with one of a couple of carbs made by Walbro or ZAMA that are essentially all the same. It'll have an ignition of very similar design, and regardless of popular opinion here the presence of a split mag case isn't going to improve reliability one iota for your use. So it won't be any more bulletproof than a PP5020 - it just won't be pre-broken when you get it.

Nothing could get hot enough to melt in a fuel tank unless the thing was on fire. There should only be 2 lines in the tank - the fuel line with the filter and the return from the purge bulb. If it's not one of those then who knows what it is.
Definitely melted.

That said, you'll be buying a saw with one of a couple of carbs made by Walbro or ZAMA that are essentially all the same. It'll have an ignition of very similar design, and regardless of popular opinion here the presence of a split mag case isn't going to improve reliability one iota for your use. So it won't be any more bulletproof than a PP5020 - it just won't be pre-broken when you get it.

It will also have actual dealer support (the Poulan "support" is not the same as the Dolmar or Husqvarna from I have learned).

Oh, I'm not doubting it - but what is it and when/how did it become melted, and what is it doing there?! Meh, it doesn't matter.

I had figured folks would be more interested in what had happened. I was certaint that this piece correlated with my inability to get the saw running.

Oh, I'm not doubting it - but what is it and when/how did it become melted, and what is it doing there?! Meh, it doesn't matter.
Dude! The poulan pro, the husky, and johnsered saws, are basically the same saws in different wrappers. I would NOT spend a pile more money and end.up with the same saw. That 5020 is a bangn saw. Plenty of power. Reliable. And cheap too. When you buy a gas engine anything there's a chance u may get a lemon, and a refurbished saw. More than likely it was a lemon to start with, and some jackleg repair tech (thinks) he fixed it. Just buy a new one if u can't fix a saw.

Dude! The poulan pro, the husky, and johnsered saws, are basically the same saws in different wrappers. I would NOT spend a pile more money and end.up with the same saw. That 5020 is a bangn saw. Plenty of power. Reliable. And cheap too. When you buy a gas engine anything there's a chance u may get a lemon, and a refurbished saw. More than likely it was a lemon to start with, and some jackleg repair tech (thinks) he fixed it. Just buy a new one if u can't fix a saw.

So, what is wrong with my 5020? Does the Dolmar differ from the rest?

I had figured folks would be more interested in what had happened. I was certain that this piece correlated with my inability to get the saw running.
I'm interested, but the saw has an unknown history and it doesn't sound like you have the time to spend troubleshooting it now. Troubleshooting over the internet is always difficult.

As to that piece - unless it melted chemically (and Poulan fuel lines may be bad, but not that bad), it's not possible for it to get hot enough to melt in a plastic fuel tank. If it did, you would have other things to worry about. Like I said, if the two lines that are supposed to be there still are it's a mystery what it is and where it came from. Could it have been in your fuel can?

Actually the Poulan shares no parts with the Husqvarna/Jonsered saws. Personally, I'd rather have the Poulan, but I'm weird that way (I like the design).

I cannot envision a way the melted line got from the fuel tank to my oil jug. I've never drained the saw before today. I first drained the fuel back into my fuel can for 40:1 fuel and the drained the oil back in my bar oil jug. I noticed something big come out of the oil tank into my funnel (did not use the funnel for fuel). I then let the thick bar oil drain out of my funnel into the jug and found the pictured melted line in the funnel. I don't think it's physically possible for the line to travel from the fuel tank to the oil tank. I guess I should just chalk it up to "refurbished."

I believe there is only one line with filter stone in my fuel tank.

The purge bulb return must go into the tank too, but the line doesn't need to be very long in the tank.

I'm baffled at how the line got in the oil tank and how the saw ran when it did for me. Definitely tempting to just trim it and reattach.

I'm baffled at how the line got in the oil tank
Oh - forget everything I wrote about the line, I read it wrong and only just caught on that it was in the oil tank, not the fuel tank. Sorry about that, it's been a long day and time for me to hit the hay.

I still don't know what it is but it really can't cause any running problems in the oil tank.

They've already agreed to an exchange but I'm trying to get into a better saw that they have in stock and I have the Husqvarna 435, 440, and 450 to choose from with moderate discounts applied to their refurbished models. Alternatively, I can simply push for a refund and go buy the Dolmar 421.

Insofar as I can see, the advantages to going with a Husky from them are faster shipping (instant gratification) and known good Husky dealer not far from me.

The advantages to the Dolmar 421 are pro grade saw at $20 more than the refurbished Husky 450 and it's brand new.

I can go cheaper with the 435 or 440, are they the same saw with different bars? Are they upgrades over the Poulan 5020?

Thoughts?

This seems like a no-brainer.

Get a full refund. Buy the Dolmar. Cut wood. Be happy.

Oh - forget everything I wrote about the line, I read it wrong and only just caught on that it was in the oil tank, not the fuel tank. Sorry about that, it's been a long day and time for me to hit the hay.

I still don't know what it is but it really can't cause any running problems in the oil tank.

No worries, your advice is greatly appreciated. I mean that. I am picking up what you're putting down about the commonalities between many saws but now I just seek one that is well executed and well supported. I'd rather spend a little extra for a well supported saw since I lack time to tinker with these things.

Husqvarna, Johnsered, poulan pro. All made by Electrolux. Yes Electrolux the vacuum cleaner ppl.

Husqvarna, Johnsered, poulan pro. All made by Electrolux. Yes Electrolux the vacuum cleaner ppl.
Electrolux sold them off some time ago, now they are all owned by Husqvarna. While the Husqvarna and Jonsered saws are mostly the same the PP5020 shares few if any parts with the others, and the design is different - it's a Poulan design with straight transfers on the sides of the cylinder using inserts to create closed transfers. It has a separate metal cap on the bottom of the engine rather than having it molded into the case housing as an insert. It has a metal clutch cover. It's just different - check out the IPL.

Back