Confession

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks zogger. So is the Pferd a good investment?

I use mine pretty much for everything. Especially nice when doing longer bars with full comp chain, speeds it up considerably being able to do cutters and depth gauges simultaneously, plus, not worry about dinging the cutters when freehand filing depth gauges.

Now you have to hold any up/down angle yourself if you do that, it's still freehand, but that isn't hard, nor is it hard to follow witness marks for your cutter angle.

I never got into minute little angle changes, most of what I cut is hardwood, the occasional pine just has to suffer being cut with hardwood angles and gauge depth..hahaha!

I haven't used any of the other various jigs or do dads except the husky roller guides, so I can't really comment if it is a good investment or not compared to a file n jig or timberline or any of the dozen others, but for what it is, it's close to automatic good chain.

I used the pferd jig and was way too harsh on the rakers. I use the pferd files exclusively but do not like their jig

I used the pferd jig and was way too harsh on the rakers. I use the pferd files exclusively but do not like their jig
You're not supposed to use it every sharpening or it will take the rakers too much.

Back