Considerations as I head to the dealer and online

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WRONG!!! A 60 cc and a 90+cc plan is far and away superior to a 50/70 plan and isn't much more expensive. besides a 60cc saw is much more of a work horse than a 50cc saw, hence the fact most pro saws start in this range. you are right about bar size though. 18 inch for 48 to 52cc, 25 inch for 60+cc but get a 20 inch for most of your work. 90cc 25 to 36 inch.
60/90cc plan? Yeah that's good and all, but most folks do not need anything close to that. 50cc will do 90% of what most need to do. I cut a bunch of wood in the last 10 years with a 346xp OE, 45cc. It got the job done fine! Have never needed or wanted a 90cc! I say a 50/70cc is the best plan and more than enough for most.

I found another Dolmar dealer that appears to have a good selection of units, so I will check them out today.

I'll be honest that I didn't try out a 90cc unit when I was in the Stihl dealer. That sounds like a *LOT* of saw. While I don't think I need a "training wheel' saw, I get the impression I might be pushing for injury with a 90cc saw at present (Maybe, I am just a wimp, dunno).

In unrelated news: Dealer told me about a customer who bought a new 362, got the +chain +case special at the dealer, and chose a chisel chain. He used the chisel chain once, came in scared as a sheet :)

I'm just a few minutes from the dealer at present, though, so I'll stop by and check it out and the air filter cover as well.

They didn't have PPE chaps at the dealer, so that's next. Not sure they have PPE either, but Cabella's is just an hour away in Mitchell and we've been looking for an excuse to stop by.

To another poster, correct, I have a large portion of the 9 ac in treeline, but it's not the Black Hills :)

Jim

WRONG!!! A 60 cc and a 90+cc plan is far and away superior to a 50/70 plan and isn't much more expensive. besides a 60cc saw is much more of a work horse than a 50cc saw, hence the fact most pro saws start in this range. you are right about bar size though. 18 inch for 48 to 52cc, 25 inch for 60+cc but get a 20 inch for most of your work. 90cc 25 to 36 inch.
that may work well in Oz, Home of the concrete trees... our hardwoods are softer and IMO the 660/395 series of saw is too much for most people to control all day... Ive had em all and the 50/70 is easier here.. very few trees that a 460 or a 372 cant safely drop here...

I'll be honest that I didn't try out a 90cc unit when I was in the Stihl dealer. That sounds like a *LOT* of saw. While I don't think I need a "training wheel' saw, I get the impression I might be pushing for injury with a 90cc saw at present (Maybe, I am just a wimp, dunno).

Jim

Most casual users could not even run a 90+cc saw. I have 400 acres, 2/3 timber and have no use what so ever for a saw over 70cc. :)

Most casual users could not even run a 90+cc saw. I have 400 acres, 2/3 timber and have no use what so ever for a saw over 70cc. :)

90cc is no harder to run than a 70. Personally I would start with a 60cc saw as the starting point for a plan as 60 cc (such as ms362) will pull a bar big enough to cut everything he is looking at, and in the end would be more versatile than a 50cc and smaller saw. If he did go this way He would probably find that he doesn't even need a second saw, but if he did then you could look at anywhere from 75 to 90cc, and have a respectable step up. 50cc saws are too small to be practical for anything I will ever do with a saw, however 60cc saws are no slouches, are only a very small amount heavier, and have enough balls to get the job done. As the guy said he looked at the 362 and couldn't notice the difference in weight between that and the smaller one, and if he went this route he would end up with a much more capable saw, and possibly save on having to buy a second saw for what he was doing, or regret having bought a saw that is too small.

Last edited:
I was able to visit all three dealers today (Stihll for round #2, Dolmar and Husqvarna).

• Did not see any difference in weight between the ms261 and the ms362
  • Since the ms362 can do a 25" bar, I like that option, even if I don't plan to run such a long bar all the time.
  • He ms441 and ms460 are just too big for what I think I need for this acreage.
  • The 5105 is a nice compact machine.
  • I did not get to see a 346XP, but I did look at a 372xp.
  • I am not as enamored with the choke/run setup on the Husky. Dolmar and Stihl had a single lever for all settings.
  • Dolmar pricing was significantly cheaper
  • No compression release on Dolmar, but maybe it is not needed
  • Yes, 362 uses air cleaner clips as well as the 5105 and the 372xp
  • Not a fan of the chain brake on the Husky. If you pull the cover with it engaged, it springs out of the cover.
  • Husq dealer was not as knowledgeable as the other two. He couldn't find the oiler adjustment on the 372, for example.
  • BTW, totally off topic, but they had NIB 450 50th anniversary editions there for $299.99, if folks are interested in them.
  • I preferred the clutch setup on the Dolmar over the Husky. I need to find a picture of the MS362 to compare. Dealer had to do some serious work to get the chain off the Husky. Looks like you can simply loosen and remove on the Dolmar, given the clutch on behind the sprocket.
  • About $788.00 + tax out the door for the 372xp + oil + chain + care. Not much difference in price.
  • Dolmar dealer made a big deal about Stihl 0.063 versus Dolmar 0.050 chain width. Do I care?
  • I liked the clear tank on the Stihl. Very innovative
  • Stihl and Dolmar want Synthetic fuel additive oil only. Husky does not care.
  • The on-display 6400 had a outgrowth-like air filter cover, but it does not seem to be reflected in the pictures.

To be fair, I should get a price on a 6400 out the door, but I think it was $100 more, so I think $588 would be a reasonable price. I liked the size of the 5105, but I really liked that I could run a 25" bar on the ms362 or the 372xp without worrying.

Jim

Last edited:
I was able to visit all three dealers today (Stihll for round #2, Dolmar and Husqvarna).

• Did not see any difference in weight between the ms261 and the ms362
  • Since the 362 can do a 25" bar, I like that option, even if I don't plan to run such a long bar all the time.
  • He 441 and 460 are just too big for what I think I need for this acreage.
  • The 7105 is a nice compact machine.
  • I did not get to see a 346XP, but I did look at a 372xp.
  • I am not as enamored with the choke/run setup on the Husky. Dolmar and Stihl had a single lever for all settings.
  • Dolmar pricing was significantly cheaper
  • No compression release on Dolmar, but maybe it is not needed
  • Yes, 362 uses air cleaner clips as well as the 7105 and the 372xp
  • Not a fan of the chain brake on the Husky. If you pull the cover with it engaged, it springs out of the cover.
  • Husq dealer was not as knowledgeable as the other two. He couldn't find the oiler adjustment on the 372, for example.
  • BTW, totally off topic, but they had NIB 450 50th anniversary editions there for $299.99
  • I preferred the clutch setup on the Dolmar over the Husky. I need to find a picture of the MS362 to compare. Dealer had to do some serious work to get the chain off the Husky. Looks like you can simply loosen and remove on the Dolmar, given the clutch on behind the sprocket.
  • About $788.00 + tax out the door for the 372xp + oil + chain + care. Not much difference in price.
  • Dolmar dealer made a big deal about Stihl 0.063 versus Dolmar 0.050 chain width. Do I care?
  • I liked the clear tank on the Stihl. Very innovative
  • Stihl and Dolmar want Synthetic fuel additive oil only. Husky does not care.
  • The on-display 4600 had a outgrowth-like air filter cover, but it does not seem to be reflected in the pictures.

To be fair, I should get a price on a 4600 out the door, but I think it was $100 more, so I think $588 would be a reasonable price. I liked the size of the 5105, but I really liked that I could run a 25" bar on the 362 or the 372xp without worrying.

Jim

I try REALLY hard to stay away from any chain size except .050.
Around here you can buy that size in the drugstore, it is everywhere.
There is nothing worse than going to the woods with an extra chain and it is the wrong gauge.
When you speak of the 4600, are you talking about a 6400, or is there something new that I am not familiar with?
7105....maybe 5105?
All of the saws you mention (that I am familiar with) are really good saws and you won't be disappointed with any of them.

This is a 6400 pulling a 28" bar in a VERY hard red oak log.
Dolmar would be my first choice, then the Husky's and Stihl a distant third.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h8YsnjuTiHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike

OTD price was basically the same for 372xp and ms362?

The 6400 should have a compression release, it is a little blue button in a cutout in the starter side of the top cover. It should also have the same choke and run/stop setup as the Husky saws? The protrusive filter sounds like the saw was fitted with the HD filter kit. All of the chainbrake mechanisms should be basically the same, and the guy showing you the Husky made a dumb mistake trying to take the clutch cover off with the brake engaged. Again the with the clutch mechanism and taking the chain off the Husky is a simple procedure and basically the same for all saws with an inboard clutch, which the 372xp is. The guy that showed you the Husky probably should have handed you the saw and walked away because it sounds like he gave you more reason not to buy it by being an idiot. That is unfortunate, because that is a pretty good OTD price on a great saw.

Good luck!

Last edited:
.......... 50cc saws are too small to be practical for anything I will ever do with a saw, however 60cc saws are no slouches, are only a very small amount heavier, and have enough balls to get the job done......

A 362 is pushing two pounds heavier than a 346.........obviously I'm not as macho as some.

A 362 is pushing two pounds heavier than a 346.........obviously I'm not as macho as some.

What?????????

Your 7 year old kid's chucking the 700 lb rounds in the truck cause you let him handle the little stuff and your not Macho? Well I think you might just be a.........................................................

[video=youtube;AO43p2Wqc08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08[/video]

Last edited:
What?????????

Your 7 year old kid's chucking the 700 lb rounds in the truck cause you let him handle the little stuff and your not Macho? Well I think you might just be a.........................................................

[video=youtube;AO43p2Wqc08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08[/video]

It's the sideways balance thing that gets me ..........

OTD price was basically the same for 372xp and ms362?
ms362 = $809
372xp = $788

both included unit, + extra chain + case + 6pack of oil, not including tax. The stihl quote also include a gallon of bar oil.
The 6400 should have a compression release, it is a little blue button in a cutout in the starter side of the top cover. It should also have the same choke and run/stop setup as the Husky saws?
I see the blue button now. It is not on the 5105

Yes, it does look like there is a run/stop and separate choke/half throttle levers/pull setting on the 6400. I thought they were integrated.
The protrusive filter sounds like the saw was fitted with the HD filter kit.
Yes, after looking online, I see that it was.
All of the chainbrake mechanisms should be basically the same, and the guy showing you the Husky made a dumb mistake trying to take the clutch cover off with the brake engaged.
I see lots of postings on the site showing an inboard clutch, but the 372xp I looked at today has an outboard clutch, and the 2008-2010 372xp manual shows it as well:

372xp manual

As a result, it made removing the chain much more difficult. It looks like Dolmar and Stihl both have inboard clutches.

As for the brake, he didn't mess it up, he just warned to make sure I removed the brake before removing the cover or the spring would pull off the cover and require work to re-integrate into the cover. He was essentially reiterating the warning in the manual.

I was just not impressed with the setup.
Again the with the clutch mechanism and taking the chain off the Husky is a simple procedure and basically the same for all saws with an inboard clutch, which the 372xp is.
It appears they have recently changed it, because the 2008-2010 372xps are outboard clutch, according to the manual and the one I looked at today.

Jim

Last edited:
Stay with a inboard clutch brake system. A in board is better if you FUBAR a tree and have to change the bar and chain out to a spare bar and chain to free the first one :rock:

I see the generic picture in the manual depicting an outboard clutch as most of the other Husky saws are, but my 372 is an 08 model and it is not an outboard clutch. To my knowledge those saws have always been inboard clutches as are the new x-torq version. Here is a thread with pics of the new x-torq version that shows the inboard clutch.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/149464.htm

Are you sure you were not looking at the 357xp?

Last edited:
It looks like you can run 0.050 chain on the 362 and 261, am I wrong?

Jim

You can run .050 on any saw. If that is what you want, ask for it when you buy the saw, they should swap the bar and chain.

edit: I guess I should mention that in .325 pitch, which is likely what would come on the 261, the .063 gauge might be more popular. Probably best to go with the guage chain that is most available in your area. In .375 pitch, which is what would likely be on all the other saws, .050 gauge is what would probably be best.

Last edited:
I see the generic picture in the manual depicting an outboard clutch as most of the other Husky saws are, but my 372 is an 08 model and it is not an outboard clutch. To my knowledge those saws have always been inboard clutches as are the new x-torq version. Here is a thread with pics of the new x-torq version that shows the inboard clutch.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/149464.htm

Are you sure you were not looking at the 357xp?

We did look at both, so perhaps my notes are messed up. I'll stop back by next week and verify. For now, I'll assume it's inboard and the 357xp is outboard. I do believe I'd want the 372xp over the 357xp. I would like bar changes to be pretty easy, in case I get the bar stuck. As well, I do *NOT* want to have to remember to unbrake the chain before removing the housing. Translation: I will forget, I am sure.

So, does the 346xp have inboard or outboard?

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back