Considerations as I head to the dealer and online

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, an inboard cluth is a good thing.

346xp has an outboard clutch.

We did look at both, so perhaps my notes are messed up. I'll stop back by next week and verify. For now, I'll assume it's inboard and the 357xp is outboard. I do believe I'd want the 372xp over the 357xp. I would like bar changes to be pretty easy, in case I get the bar stuck. As well, I do *NOT* want to have to remember to unbrake the chain before removing the housing. Translation: I will forget, I am sure.

So, does the 346xp have inboard or outboard?

Jim

You're overthinking a smidge.

372XP=inboard clutch. Despite the drawing.
346XP= outboard clutch. JUst like the drawing.

Swapping chains on an outboard clutch saw is not a big deal, and certainly not the Humoungous obstacle that some might imply.
Takes an extra 3-5 seconds is all.

Getting the powerhead off the bar while piched?
Keep the dawgs a couple inches from the cut if you think you're gonna get pinched. Another reason for the two saw plan.

Chainbrake issue is a non issue. Don't sweat it that much.
If ya go to pulling the clutch cover off and it seems stuck, stop and take the brake off...force it and you will be cussing a bit.

Sounds like your local Husky Dealer is a Moron.
Even the zit faced kid in the Blue vest at Lowes knows where the oil adjuster is.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Keep the dawgs a couple inches from the cut if you think you're gonna get pinched. Another reason for the two saw plan.
True, I like the idea, for the above reason, and just in case something breaks on the saw and you're ready to use it.
Even the zit faced kid in the Blue vest at Lowes knows where the oil adjuster is.
The Dolmar dealer was most knowledgeable, probably since I think he owns the shop, and it's a small town company. Stihl was second, and the Husqvarna rounded out the three.

Jim

two videos

[video=youtube;694JERwc37E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694JERwc37E[/video]

[video=youtube;WOZTvF2XT4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOZTvF2XT4E[/video]

You're overthinking a smidge.

372XP=inboard clutch. Despite the drawing.
346XP= outboard clutch. JUst like the drawing.

Swapping chains on an outboard clutch saw is not a big deal, and certainly not the Humoungous obstacle that some might imply.
Takes an extra 3-5 seconds is all.

Chainbrake issue is a non issue. Don't sweat it that much.
If ya go to pulling the clutch cover off and it seems stuck, stop and take the brake off...force it and you will be cussing a bit.

Sounds like your local Husky Dealer is a Moron.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
Very well said, Yote!

Jim, like said, the inboard / outboard / chainbrake thing is a non issue. I've been running saws for over 30 years and never owned a saw with an inboard clutch. Absolutely nothing wrong with an outboard clutch, I actually prefer them.

Don't rule out the 346xp to quick, it's a small saw, but can run with the big dogs and light enough to handle all day. I've been taking care of a large track of land here with one for over 10 years. I have a 357xp, but it only comes out for trees over 20-24".

All three brands make fine saws in the pro lines, but I personally like Husky. Maybe you just got a goofball of a salesman there, owner was away or something. Is there another Husky shop around?

That said, the next saw on my radar is a 372xp. I don't need a saw that large and it wont see I lot of use, but I just want one.:)

So what saw did you buy? Nice long weekend would be a good time to start clearing.

I wish it were that easy...

All the shops closed at noon for the 3 day weekend, and I was just not comfortable picking a saw last evening.

Still, weather here is lousy, so not much harm in waiting till Tuesday.

Jim

All the shops closed at noon for the 3 day weekend, and I was just not comfortable picking a saw last evening.

Jim
No problemo...litl' bro...it's a tough decision!!
And ya wanna get what ya feel will serve ya the best...
and the best value for your $$.

I offered my suggestion...and ya liked the feel of it...
but any you are considering would likely serve you well.

However my situation is very different than yours...
Several good Stihl dealers all around me...
One Husky dealer...who is also a Stihl dealer...(not so good)...
And not a Dolmar dealer (real dealer) within 100 miles...

Just posting to say you're doing the right thing by keeping us updated...
If or when you should happen to need help later down the road...
It will be remembered!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:

Jim

Take your time. You don't want to end up second guessing your decision,

which is real easy to do when you spend too much time here on AS :msp_ohmy: :dizzy: :laugh:.

Jim

Oh heck, you are just being shy. You aint gonna marry the thing. Just put your money down and have at it. Pro saws are all pretty much the same and they do not depreciate too quickly. Just go for it. Don’t like it? Sell it and get another. Now lets see some chips fly.

Do not feel pressured by any one on here, we are all keen to help is all.

I don't know but I am told that stihl have better resale value.

Maybe some of those with CAD that are on flea bay all the time can give an opinion on that with more authority :)

So....... Have you picked out a saw yet?

Yep:

50cc:

Of the 3, I preferred the 5105 and the ms261 over the 246xp. Call me names, but the outboard clutch folks were not convincing. Sorry. I also like the unified choke/run setup of the ms261 and 5015 better. Given this will be a very heavily used saw, I was also worried about the dealer support locally, but that's not the saw's fault.

It was a tossup between the 5105 and the ms261. But, the 5105 offered more saw for the money, lighter weight (trivial, but still), and performed well. I missed the clear gas tank and the compression release on the 5105, but I can live without them for the significant savings. I think the dealer is excellent and knows his stuff.

70cc:
Husky 372xp. Lighter than the Stihl, and inboard clutch. Since this will be a felling saw for me, I can live without the best dealer support. The ms441/ms460 were heavier still. The Dolmar 7300 was a competitive option, but I thought it best to diversify a bit. (7300 was cheaper, but not by as much as the 5105/346xp spread Dealer also did not have the 7300 in stock)

Truthfully, I could go with either the 372xp or the 7300, I saw little to differentiate. The 441 wasn't that much heavier, but every pound adds up.

I'll grab a homeowner 30cc saw for quick stuff and a loaner from eBay.

I feel bad about not giving Stihl a nod anywhere, but the dealer support wasn't as good as Dolmar, and the saws were heavier and more expensive than the Dolmar or the Husqvarna. Of course, if someone is more comfy with the brand and can buy online, neither is an issue. I will admit there are far more parts and such with Stihl online. If this were not my first saw, dealer support were not such a high priority, and I could buy online, I would have selected the ms261 for the same price.

I appreciate all of the help everyone has given. Now, off to clean the treeline!

Jim

Well done! Both good saws, you should be very happy with them. Have fun!

Congrats on the purchases...Very nice 50 and 70cc combo!!!
Thanks for keeping is updated as you went along...:msp_thumbup:

Please...make sure that 5105 ain't set too lean!!!!
Many accounts of 5100's frying from factory lean carb setting!!!
Mnfg. replaced/repaired most instances...but a nuisance for the buyer...
Best to just "nip it in the bud" at the get-go!!!

J2F

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchases...Very nice 50 and 70cc combo!!!
Thanks for keeping is updated as you went along...:msp_thumbup:

Please...make sure that 5105 ain't set too lean!!!!
Many accounts of 5100's frying from factory lean carb setting!!!
Mnfg. replaced/repaired most instances...but a nuisance for the buyer...
Best to just "nip it in the bud" at the get-go!!!

J2F

That was a concern of mine, and I outlined it to the dealer. He noted it had been an issue, and he retunes them before they leave the shop now. He also asked me to come back after a tank or two and he would retune it again and check it over to make sure everything is set up correctly.

It's a nit, I'm sure, but it does give a perception of completeness to the new owner. And, the experienced buyer is not bound to use the service.

He also sharpens chains for $5.00 a chain in batches. For that price, it might be worth it to send some business his way.

Jim

Repped you.

Congrats on the choices, sounds like you really thought it all through. I like your picks and your reasons. Great saws, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. Thanks for sharing your buying experience too.

Back