Controlling wood consumption. Anyone try it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a wood fired hot air furnace that is outside of my home. If it didn't go a min' of 8 hrs I would think there was something wrong with it. I couldn't imagine having to load one every three hours. Even in this frigid weather I can easily get 8 hrs overnight as long as I don't mind the house getting down to 69-70. It was 6 below zero here this morning, I filled the stove at 9:45 last night, at 5 am it was 73 in here. I'm heating a walk out ranch so about 1900 sf total, the basement is finished.
Stay warm my friends!

I don't keep it warmer than 70 that's to hot. Everyone starts complaining. Not sure how I'd get any longer burn time. I'd need a different furnace. I have a cheap daka but I can't imagine a hotblast burns any longer. The fire box may be bigger holding more wood? If I could fit 8 logs in then yea I'd get about twice the burn time maybe more.

I havent split any wood in over a year and half. I'll make it thru this winter and if I split whats piled up, maybe next winter too. I have two year old wood stacked under my shed for when it snows or rains, but I have been using out of my outside stacks most of this winter. I roll the wood inside and store next to the stove, the wood is seasoned, just wet from rain. I pick rounds out of the unsplit wood for over nite fires. If it will fit inside the stove door, I figure this is wood I dont have to split or stack, but you wont catch my wife putting it in the stove. Its 75f in the house right now and I dont intend to go outside until it warms up some. No work that important it cant wait for a day or two, or a month.

I havent split any wood in over a year and half. I'll make it thru this winter and if I split whats piled up, maybe next winter too. I have two year old wood stacked under my shed for when it snows or rains, but I have been using out of my outside stacks most of this winter. I roll the wood inside and store next to the stove, the wood is seasoned, just wet from rain. I pick rounds out of the unsplit wood for over nite fires. If it will fit inside the stove door, I figure this is wood I dont have to split or stack, but you wont catch my wife putting it in the stove. Its 75f in the house right now and I dont intend to go outside until it warms up some. No work that important it cant wait for a day or two, or a month.
Are you still planning on relocating at some point?

I love your drive in basement. Definitely doing that if I ever build.

I have a raised ranch half my basement is my garage. It's pretty cool big garage, nice work shop in the basement, and easy access to the wood burner with the wood. The down fall is that I have to walk up and down steps every time I leave.

I have a raised ranch half my basement is my garage. It's pretty cool big garage, nice work shop in the basement, and easy access to the wood burner with the wood. The down fall is that I have to walk up and down steps every time I leave.
Stairs are good for you though. ;)

For the last two months we stayed at a place where my car was parked in a ramp that was 550 steps (about 1/4 mile) from our condo. Great exercise!

Stairs are good for you though. ;)

For the last two months we stayed at a place where my car was parked in a ramp that was 550 steps (about 1/4 mile) from our condo. Great exercise!

I agree but 50 years from now I'm not going to like them. My little old Chihuahua hates them she can hardly walk as it is.

Yea, one day, I have the house up for sale, but I didnt price it for a quick sale. Plans are to build a house on my wife's farm. A lot smaller house, with a lot of solar and hydro features. I think I can get my wood consumption down to using just for times like we are having now, It was 4*f this morning. I wont have a basement or up stairs in the new house, I cant hardly get up and down the basement stairs now. For now, I just plan on keeping enough wood on hand for current usage. No need to plan for two or three years ahead. I pick up the occasional free tree just so I dont run out.

Back