cord size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wdchuck--ive also had it said around here a face cord is 1/2 cord--2X4X8---depends on area, i suppose

Depends on how much the seller lies and how gullible the buyer is.

There is no legal definition of a 'face cord', 'rick', 'load' etc. In many states, a complaint to the weights and measures people will result in a fine for selling by such measures. I figure any dealer trying to sell by any measure except cord or part cord is running a scam.

Harry K

A face cord is 4'x8' by whatever length of the wood. In my opinion not a very good way of measuring wood.

I believe that web site "definition" is only acceptable for the method of firewood in the State of Iowa. I do not believe that definition applies or is excepted in other states. I guess it all depends in what state you are running your firewood scam in ??

:hmm3grin2orange:

Depends on how much the seller lies and how gullible the buyer is.

There is no legal definition of a 'face cord', 'rick', 'load' etc. In many states, a complaint to the weights and measures people will result in a fine for selling by such measures. I figure any dealer trying to sell by any measure except cord or part cord is running a scam.

Harry K

Very true...Harry has it right. 128 cubic feet ...however you measure it...is a legal cord of wood. In most states the only legal way to define an amount of firewood being offered for sale iis in fractions of a cord. Out here the various county weights and measure agencies are really starting to crack down on this. 128 cu ft...tightly stacked

I have seen firewood sold as a rank, rick,face cord and cord and pickup load. Gets so confusing that weights and measures get in on the act. I just sell by the standard cord 4x8x4. 128 cubic foot.:D

I believe that web site "definition" is only acceptable for the method of firewood in the State of Iowa. I do not believe that definition applies or is excepted in other states. I guess it all depends in what state you are running your firewood scam in ??

Do not run any scams, do not even sell firewood.
What state are you scamming little old ladies in?:deadhorse:

In these days of shorter 6.5" bed pickups, would you say a load of wood to the top edge of the bed is roughly a face cord?

Here in southern Indiana where I just moved to 6 months ago, they measure wood by the rick. I was always told a rick was a face cord. Takes 3 face cords to make a full cord?

Shipper

rick = face cord

Here in southern Indiana where I just moved to 6 months ago, they measure wood by the rick. I was always told a rick was a face cord. Takes 3 face cords to make a full cord?

Shipper

A rick is the same as a face cord. 4x8 but no depth. A full cord is 4x4x8, so how many face cords make a cord depends on the length of the wood. If the wood is 18 inches long, then 3 face cords per cord. If they are 24 inches long, then 2 face cords per cord. If the wood is 12 inches long, then it takes 4 face cords to make a cord. :blob2:

A rick is the same as a face cord. 4x8 but no depth. A full cord is 4x4x8, so how many face cords make a cord depends on the length of the wood. If the wood is 18 inches long, then 3 face cords per cord. If they are 24 inches long, then 2 face cords per cord. If the wood is 12 inches long, then it takes 4 face cords to make a cord. :blob2:

I would guess you meant 16" instead of 18"?

Shipper

Let me see, if I bought 3 face cords or 3 ricks or 3 racks or 3 what ever of 12" lenghts or 3 face cords of 24" lenghts, are you sure that these 3 face cords of either 12" or 24" lenghts will stack to a full cord. Am I missing something here or anyone care to explain this phenomenon ? :hmm3grin2orange: If not, I wondering who is scamming who !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back