cord size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pick-up truck cords

i stacked a cord a wood 4'x4'x8'= 128 cubic feet. then i threw it in the mason dump to see what it measured out to be. about 175 cubic feet! the body on the truck is 7'x9' with a tapered side rail there's no way someone can fit a cord of wood unstacked on a pick-up truck!!:angry2:

PC cords...

Yep, I wood have to agree. We have a Ford diesel 250 long bed 3/4 ton, and if we load it all nice with the wood tightly stacked parallel we can get maybe 3/4 of a cord in there, w/o stake sides.

I run 7 rows piled on my 6' by 10' brimar dump with racks totaling 4' high from the bed and that is nice 5 face cord load.People in this area look @ $ per face cord, you would starve if you tried to sell by the pulp cord .I know i tried it and the phone quit ringing.

i stacked a cord a wood 4'x4'x8'= 128 cubic feet. then i threw it in the mason dump to see what it measured out to be. about 175 cubic feet! the body on the truck is 7'x9' with a tapered side rail there's no way someone can fit a cord of wood unstacked on a pick-up truck!!:angry2:

If that is aimed at my post about "near a cord" you may have missed the racks. Bed 5' (wide) x 4' (tall) x 8' (long) comes to 160 cu ft. Then I heap up over the top of the racks a bit. Then since the bed is a bit over 8' long and near 5 1/2' wide, racks a bit higher...

No problem at all to put a thrown full cord on a 1/2 ton pu VOLUMN WISE. The problem is the weight. Even with my dry Willow, I am overloading it at under a cord.

Harry K

A reply 9 months later

Sorry just ran across this thread again and somehow realized there were some questions as to the size of the bed on my one ton truck. The truck I haul my wood with is an 76 gmc 1ton dually, cant remember exact diminsions at the moment but its something like 8'L x 7'6"W x 36" its a small grain bed.

Last edited:
Sorry just ran across this thread again and somehow realized there were some questions as to the size of the bed on my one ton truck. The truck I haul my wood with is an 76 gmc 1ton dually, cant remember exact diminsions at the moment but its something like 8'L x 7'6"W x 36" its a small grain bed.

I had 5 replies to this post in my email this morning? Anyone else have this? Can a moderator look into this for me?:confused:

Thanks
Shipper

I'm guessing that a person could legally sell wood by whatever they want to call it; face cord, rick, rack, crock (haha!), pickup load, whatever .....as long as they include in their 'for sale' description the percentage of a true cord (4'x4'x8') that they are peddling.

To just sell a 'face cord' (or whatever) with no standard measurement or legal definition as per what percentage of a legal cord it is, is a scam.

I'm guessing that a person could legally sell wood by whatever they want to call it; face cord, rick, rack, crock (haha!), pickup load, whatever .....as long as they include in their 'for sale' description the percentage of a true cord (4'x4'x8') that they are peddling.

To just sell a 'face cord' (or whatever) with no standard measurement or legal definition as per what percentage of a legal cord it is, is a scam.

In states where firewood is included in teh weights and measures regs, you are correct. The problem is that enforcement only seems to happen if someone complains. I am convinced that most buyers have no clue about what a standard measure is and thus don't complain.

I make it a practice to 'call' anyone in this and other forums that refer to amount of wood other than in cord terms. I don't know if I am accomplishign anything but it 'feels good'.

Harry K

Last edited:
In states where firewood is included in teh weights and measures regs, you are correct. The problem is that enforcement only seems to happen if someone complains. I am convinced that most buyers have no clue about what a standard measure is and thus don't complain.

I make it a practice to 'call' anyone in this and other forums that refer to amount of wood other than in cord terms. I don't know if I am accomplishign anything but it 'feels good'.

Harry K
Harry, the solution is way simple, give a bit more, then there aren't any complaints.

:)

Latest posts

Back