Could not cut wood tonight Mom and kids were in the way!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of storys about wild turkeys.While bush hogging a pasture that was about done except for a small trianangleular piece left to do.I started in there and saw a hen and some chicks.The hen was really nervous so I decided to come back tommorow.I went back the next day and they were still there.I decided to walk them back into the woods a very short ways away.I slowly pushed them towards the woods.They all made it to the woods except one.I kept hearing one peeping very close to me.It was nearly at my feet and stuck in the tall grass.I scooped him up with both hands,fingers stradling his legs.The few steps to the woods his legs never stopped "walking".He caught hell from mamma when I set gim down. Another time when blackberrys were comeing in.I was checking every other day but they reached a certain point and not get any more ripe.I'm thinking something is raiding the patch.I decided to walk back there in the late evening,just before dusk.Sure enough there is a hen and 8 or 9 chicks.The hen could pick berrys from the ground,the chicks had to jump up to get them I watched them for nearly five minutes.When I left they were still helping themselves.

A couple of storys about wild turkeys.While bush hogging a pasture that was about done except for a small trianangleular piece left to do.I started in there and saw a hen and some chicks.The hen was really nervous so I decided to come back tommorow.I went back the next day and they were still there.I decided to walk them back into the woods a very short ways away.I slowly pushed them towards the woods.They all made it to the woods except one.I kept hearing one peeping very close to me.It was nearly at my feet and stuck in the tall grass.I scooped him up with both hands,fingers stradling his legs.The few steps to the woods his legs never stopped "walking".He caught hell from mamma when I set gim down. Another time when blackberrys were comeing in.I was checking every other day but they reached a certain point and not get any more ripe.I'm thinking something is raiding the patch.I decided to walk back there in the late evening,just before dusk.Sure enough there is a hen and 8 or 9 chicks.The hen could pick berrys from the ground,the chicks had to jump up to get them I watched them for nearly five minutes.When I left they were still helping themselves.

Neat stories.

Oh cool! I miss seeing them, deer and turkeys are about all poached out around here. All the ATV trails and powerlines, etc make it easy for the poachers to get in and out. You hear shots every night. The wardens make an attempt, but obviously it isn't near enough. 8 years ago when we moved here, it was about a daily occurrence to see deer and turkeys..boy not now, just once in awhile and not too many. They caught a few poaching in my boss's biggest lake, can't prove it was one of them, but someone went in and opened the valve and completely drained it, thousands of fish gone, some hugemongous bass and assorted everything else. That just happened a few weeks ago.

He said last time some years ago when the wardens cracked down, the poachers just started shooting the cows! Cut fences, shoot cows, sometimes leave them, sometimes just peel off the sirloins, etc.

That hasn't happened yet since I have been here.

Somebody needs to hunt the poachers.

Out west some cattle were getting rustled and the ranchers had enough. They hired some retired vet to "investigate" and he was unable to find anything, but the cattle rustling stopped, guess they heard and were scared off. That is what the official report says anyway.

Mr. HE:cool:

Somebody needs to hunt the poachers.

Out west some cattle were getting rustled and the ranchers had enough. They hired some retired vet to "investigate" and he was unable to find anything, but the cattle rustling stopped, guess they heard and were scared off. That is what the official report says anyway.

Mr. HE:cool:
:clap::clap: but you know,,that by saying that,,the leftists of this forum will be along directly to admonish you. why,,those poachers just have a slight money problem,,yah know............and I concur

Oh cool! I miss seeing them, deer and turkeys are about all poached out around here. All the ATV trails and powerlines, etc make it easy for the poachers to get in and out. You hear shots every night. The wardens make an attempt, but obviously it isn't near enough. 8 years ago when we moved here, it was about a daily occurrence to see deer and turkeys..boy not now, just once in awhile and not too many. They caught a few poaching in my boss's biggest lake, can't prove it was one of them, but someone went in and opened the valve and completely drained it, thousands of fish gone, some hugemongous bass and assorted everything else. That just happened a few weeks ago.

He said last time some years ago when the wardens cracked down, the poachers just started shooting the cows! Cut fences, shoot cows, sometimes leave them, sometimes just peel off the sirloins, etc.

That hasn't happened yet since I have been here.
Jesus Christ, where do you live, that's insane having people like that, you should start trapping "fur"

Jesus Christ, where do you live, that's insane having people like that, you should start trapping "fur"

Don't know what to say there. Rural area transitioning into suburbia. Quads are the vehicle of choice it appears, from three years old on up. Somewhat bad economy. Meth epidemic. Bubba culture of shoot anything that moves, just because. In the local towns it is turning into "recent arrivals" and gangs, you see the guys with the gang tattoos now, so it is just going to get worse.

Believe me, considering a move, but..right now this isn't happening, don't have the resources.

What is the survival rate? We have various species of grouse. They have lots of babies. There's a reason for that, the survival rate is low. Grouse aren't known for their intelligence. Here's one that followed me as I was driving down the road. I stopped, got out with the camera and the bird started circling me. Zombie Grouse?

Lynching is good? I don't think so. We have laws and TRIALS for a reason. Read up on the range wars and about innocent people getting lynched, along with the guilty. I guess that's OK as long as it isn't you being lynched? :bowdown::bowdown: Out here, cows are on open range and on leased (from the gubmint) allotments in the east side woods. We seldom hear of any being stolen, or shot, although they are called Slow Elk in a joking way. I think I live in a good place. Don't move here.

Oly's trolling pretty hard these days. I love him madly. Kisses and hugs to you Olymon.

What is the survival rate? We have various species of grouse. They have lots of babies. There's a reason for that, the survival rate is low. Grouse aren't known for their intelligence. Here's one that followed me as I was driving down the road. I stopped, got out with the camera and the bird started circling me. Zombie Grouse?

Lynching is good? I don't think so. We have laws and TRIALS for a reason. Read up on the range wars and about innocent people getting lynched, along with the guilty. I guess that's OK as long as it isn't you being lynched? :bowdown::bowdown: Out here, cows are on open range and on leased (from the gubmint) allotments in the east side woods. We seldom hear of any being stolen, or shot, although they are called Slow Elk in a joking way. I think I live in a good place. Don't move here.

Oly's trolling pretty hard these days. I love him madly. Kisses and hugs to you Olymon.

Only a matter of when, not if. Once meth and the other drug gangs start in an area, that's it, you'll get crime.

Only a matter of when, not if. Once meth and the other drug gangs start in an area, that's it, you'll get crime.

Those have been here for years, cept for the gangs. In my area, the tweakers are known and some of them even work hard illegally--stealing firewood in the woods not from stacks, music wood from the forest and legally--cutting legal firewood, picking mushrooms to get their meth. They seem to have a bit of respect for the community--many were born and raised here. Our country, unless cleared well for marginal farming, is hard to ATV around in. Topography limits that and ATVs are noisy.

Gangs? Our community is small and we would know who the gangs members are and they'd have a hard time scaring our populace. This is a former major logging area and the people are not weak. Polite, and a few of us what you'd label as "liberals" cuz that has to be brought up in EVERY post by some. but we are not weak

Don't move here.

Latest posts

Back