cover for seasoning? or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logjam

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Do you guys cover your green wood for drying?
Or do you leave it open for the elements, until it's seasoned. Then cover it

Uncovered

I leave mine un covered while seasoning and off the ground with pallets.Then after its seasoned I put it in a wood shed that is open on both ends.I don't cover seasoned wood even at all thats not in the wood shed.Stacking newly split wood put bark up(if it has bark).:biggrinbounce2: :yoyo:

I leave mine uncovered, but that is mainly cause I don't have anywhere to put it under. I plan on building a shed with one side open by the owb this year to put my seasoned wood in and keep the snow off of it. I think putting a tarp over it and having it sealed tight is bad. Setting a piece of tin on top of a stacked pile is fine, it just needs to get air.

All my wood goes in a wood shed, three sides open, tin roof is 1-2' above the wood, stacked on pallets, full sun comes in through two sides, good airflow.

Too much rain here

I use a lean to because I get too much rain around here, and not enough hot sunshine.

If I had plenty of sunshine I'd stack it in the elements then bring it under cover after it's seasoned.

Tarps are only good in a pinch, IMO. I've found that if the wood is still a little green a tarp will collect an drip it back on the wood and if there isn't enough airflow it will mold. my 2 cents.

I would like to put my wood in a shed.
However, with 20+ full cords, I won't build one that big.
I was thinking the same. Leave uncovered until dry.
Last year, all I cut was dry stuff on the ground. I put just a strip of poly on top. That way, air could still move thru to dry and there was somewhat a cover to keep rain off.
Thanks for the reply fella's. I will keep it uncovered until next fall when It's ready for sale.

I would like to put my wood in a shed.
However, with 20+ full cords, I won't build one that big.
I was thinking the same. Leave uncovered until dry.
Last year, all I cut was dry stuff on the ground. I put just a strip of poly on top. That way, air could still move thru to dry and there was somewhat a cover to keep rain off.
Thanks for the reply fella's. I will keep it uncovered until next fall when It's ready for sale.

Mine also stays outside uncovered. I move a winter's supply into the woodshed and back porch at the beginning of the heat season.

Even after seasoning, if a cover is used, it goes on top only, never cover it on the sides.

Harry K

Covered wood

Past years i would stack in between two trees off ground of course. I would cut tarp to length and make em 2 to 3 feet wide and nail the ends to the tree.Works great. Hate to buy tarps just for wood. This year i met a tree service guy that has been dropping off rounds at my house.Saves us both $$$. Way too much wood to stack between trees.Now i use pallets and 4 mil roll plastic from Lowes. 10' by 25' covers nice and for $12.00 is sure beats $30 to 40 for a tarp even smaller. I put 2 pallets side by side and just keep laying as i go. Starting with one end carefully cribbed and always working from the face in to the center. I learned that the hard way. My son climbs em. Solid as a cement building. My wifes family swears im selling firewood cause i keep getting deliveries. Personally i think if youve got your wood stacked on skids youve got to cover em. Bark side up only protects that piece of wood. Wheres all the water runnin off to.

Last edited:
I leave mine uncovered until late August when its HOT and DRY.... At that point I cover it until use. I am NEVER ahead of the firewood game so my wood never sits more than 1 year. I burn about 5 cords a year and have no place to store more than 15 split face cords.

I normally go to marinas in the spring when the boaters are removing the shrink wrap from thier boats. The stuff is FREE and works awesome. Sometimes I even shrink it on the wood pile.

I go both ways. (for firewood that is.)

I like to cover my (good) firewood, such as apple, oak, locust, cherry. It helps keep it cleaner, and I usually season it for 2 yrs. My other scrub wood, pine, box elder,elm, and such, is used in the firepit. For social events. Like having a few brews with friends and relatives.

I like to cover my (good) firewood, such as apple, oak, locust, cherry. It helps keep it cleaner, and I usually season it for 2 yrs. My other scrub wood, pine, box elder,elm, and such, is used in the firepit. For social events. Like having a few brews with friends and relatives.

Damn...your "scrub" wood is my "staple" wood. It's OK though, 'cause they're HUGE!!! :jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back