Crane Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logannnn

Reaction score
I became an arborist's apprentice about a year and a half ago. I was a ground guy for maybe three weeks before they got me on double line, and three weeks after that i'm on single line. I love how fast its progressed and I've taken to it quickly. However, a year and a half in, the owner has got me (and someone who is less experienced) on this 80 ton crane removal with no one there as support... I've only made a dozen crane picks from our small log/ crane truck and that was Thursday.. and a learning experience. Five days later the owner expects me to do this 80 ton crane removal with no guiding hands. Just me and this dude. How reckless Is this? I think very.. I'm contemplating quitting for the soul fact that he is willing to send two dudes into this crazy dangerous situation with no experience and expecting normal results. I think I can rise to the occasion however its not a game.

WOW, just wow! I think you're smarter than your boss on this.

Maybe instead of quitting, say: "I have to turn this job down as I do not believe I'm qualified." Maybe he'll fire you, but maybe not. You sound like the kind of help that won't easily be replaced.

I don't think you'll find anyone on here who'll advise--Yeah, just wing it, you'll probably be fine.

Tell him that you are not comfortable with the current plan, and express why. It may help to soften the blow if have a short list of things ready that would make you more comfortable. If he's a douche canoe, you may be looking for a new job. If so, you may have some legal ground or protection especially if your concerns are safety based. OSHA does not look too kindly on employer retaliation due to the voicing of legitimate safety concerns, especially where death could be the end result if something goes south.

WOW, just wow! I think you're smarter than your boss on this.

Maybe instead of quitting, say: "I have to turn this job down as I do not believe I'm qualified." Maybe he'll fire you, but maybe not. You sound like the kind of help that won't easily be replaced.

I don't think you'll find anyone on here who'll advise--Yeah, just wing it, you'll probably be fine.

There was a time when I was more likely to trust those around me and go for it what ever that was. I went up a crane the first time some 35 years ago and survived, but today no way. When I do any kind of tree work that needs more than myself the ground people are more than important. Your ground person or persons have your well being in their hands. You need to trust them with your life. Every one must be focused on one thing your job. A small injury could just be a crushed leg or the loss of a leg. I walked off a job that my father was running many years ago because every one was doing their thing and no one was paying attention to much of anything. It was at the end of the day when every one was tired, but wanted to do just one more cut. The upper half of the tree twisted just missing the climber and snagged a 6,000 volt power line on the way down. The power company arrived about 20 minutes latter with LE. Every one on site went to jail that night with a bond set at $100,000. Wow you have to trust what you think is safe period because there are no second chances. Thanks

Latest posts

Back