Crane tip-over.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats your big kicker right there ..... looks less than 15/20 feet away

Cant speak for your locale ..but I need them covered ,and a hold-off put on the line ..then maintain .my limits of approach ..

Thats an expensive one ..

If you are talking about the power it was right at 10 foot from trunk with limbs overhanging it!
It was 2 k and I was second highest bid. Tree was worth way more. It is like this now lol no crane.
003-2.jpg

That was an impressive tree, rope. I well remember your story!!

Here's a video ya'll will like! Took nearly 5 days for Georgio and his crew to do this 10 foot sequoia. No crane access. What a waste of great wood. But they knew nothing of milling, or had anyone interested in it....They obviously knew how to get the behemoth down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmDDPCMx7M

Think you fired up the wrong vid Rog.

don't care about your noggin enough to protect it a tad?

I had a choice between my hardhat and radio comm with the CO that day,
I chose comm with the CO, it was a tad bit windy.

These days I have the peltor pro comm plus hardhats that allow me to talk with each man on the ground wearing the same.

jomoco

That was an impressive tree, rope. I well remember your story!!

Here's a video ya'll will like! Took nearly 5 days for Georgio and his crew to do this 10 foot sequoia. No crane access. What a waste of great wood. But they knew nothing of milling, or had anyone interested in it....They obviously knew how to get the behemoth down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emmDDPCMx7M

Many of your td's have impressed me you do fine work friend. That line was not matted I have done way worse just no camera then. The worst I can remember was refused by our competitor it was a 150 sweet gum in the corner of 3 phaze and leaning over it on a major highway. It had only ten inch good wood left at base and the base was 65" dbh the top was very healthy. My boss asked me if I could do it and I said yeah if time was no factor. I had that thing guyed from every direction it would not budge before climbing it. I would not climb it today I would use a crane.

What about the fact that the crane is missing three quarters of its counterweight and picking over the rear where it loses 1/3 of its cap. its typical to lose a crane backwards theres no rear stabilizer and in my estimation its the operators fault for beeing over boomed where's the oiler what was he doing or the signal man ??

Ok now view it from this angle and note the 3phaze power lines
007.jpg

Three phase sounds a bit scary, for topping.

now let me guess how to block this thing down

don't know what its called , but on your lower horizontal notch cut a bevel toward the direction you want to accelerate the piece.
wen it falls over the top of the notch catches the beveled lip and the Block shoots out about 10-15 feet from the bole.

How many lower trunk picks on big oaks do you use a jib to pick RB?

Like maybe zero, nunca, nada as in never?

You've got to take the bloody jib off to travel anyway!

Why not take it off once the tree's brushed down to big wood?

Did they intend to pick the rest of the lower trunk with the jib on too?

Why defend these dopes any longer?

jomoco

First off, I may have been doing tree work for about as long as you, but have little experience with big cranes. I've never used a jib, and have always thought I didn't want to.

But I defer to Hoister's knowledge. I believe he's made some posts that explain why some cranes can handle more with the jib on, and the main boom not fully extended. You do know that the lattice frame work is lighter.

On that same vein, there was a crane operator here would used his (180 foot) lattice boom crane for backyard conifer removals, brush and all, often in one piece. A lattice boom's chart is totally different than a hydraulic, as it is so much lighter.

Trunk work is not jib work at that point you should be somewhat scoped closed up and within reach of boom only , that just goes to show they were too far to begin with , I am sure that wasn't the first OH SNAP pic of the day but that's the gamble when ordering a crane ...

Three phase sounds a bit scary, for topping.

now let me guess how to block this thing down

don't know what its called , but on your lower horizontal notch cut a bevel toward the direction you want to accelerate the piece.
wen it falls over the top of the notch catches the beveled lip and the Block shoots out about 10-15 feet from the bole.

Lol should of rigged a speed line but done it the sure way
018-1.jpg

I had a choice between my hardhat and radio comm with the CO that day,
I chose comm with the CO, it was a tad bit windy.

These days I have the peltor pro comm plus hardhats that allow me to talk with each man on the ground wearing the same.

jomoco

sorry for bringing that up. I'm no PPE Nazi.......

First off, I may have been doing tree work for about as long as you, but have little experience with big cranes. I've never used a jib, and have always thought I didn't want to.

But I defer to Hoister's knowledge. I believe he's made some posts that explain why some cranes can handle more with the jib on, and the main boom not fully extended. You do know that the lattice frame work is lighter.

On that same vein, there was a crane operator here would used his (180 foot) lattice boom crane for backyard conifer removals, brush and all, often in one piece. A lattice boom's chart is totally different than a hydraulic, as it is so much lighter.
Yea a luffing crane can handle more weight with a luffin boom but this is not that type of crane at all ...

Trunk work is not jib work at that point you should be somewhat scoped closed up and within reach of boom only , that just goes to show they were too far to begin with , I am sure that wasn't the first OH SNAP pic of the day but that's the gamble when ordering a crane ...

I dunno. They were 90-100 feet away. And the jib, which looks super strong, looks longer than the boom sections. So, had they had the jib off, the boom angle would likely have been even worse....Ouch.

If you look at the last cut before the failed one, you can see a mismatch cut, and on the wrong side. (Too much lean on that piece for a mismatch cut as well) The pick that failed should have been made with one cut from the back (lean) side, while the operator slowly and gently brought the pick to vertical, which would have been a few feet closer to the centerpin as well. Then, the climber could cut off the remaining sliver. Done right, zero dynamic loading. Also, both cutter and operator should have known the wood weight within 10%. Maybe they did, but the improper cut caused the butt to simply fall off. Game over!

I dunno. They were 90-100 feet away. And the jib, which looks super strong, looks longer than the boom sections. So, had they had the jib off, the boom angle would likely have been even worse....Ouch.

If you look at the last cut before the failed one, you can see a mismatch cut, and on the wrong side. (Too much lean on that piece for a mismatch cut as well) The pick that failed should have been made with one cut from the back (lean) side, while the operator slowly and gently brought the pick to vertical, which would have been a few feet closer to the centerpin as well. Then, the climber could cut off the remaining sliver. Done right, zero dynamic loading. Also, both cutter and operator should have known the wood weight within 10%. Maybe they did, but the improper cut caused the butt to simply fall off. Game over!

Its the wrong rig for the job if there working that far out than pic little and often when you add the jib if you make one little mistake chart mistake that boom is a limp slong just waiting to pull it self over , a grove 350 with all it's counterweight would have a problem lifting 1200lbs flat out and with a 500 lb pill well than that happens..

Back