[cs-590] Hoping for some specific B&C suggestions, the longest & most-aggressive a 590 can push :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the consensus was that it wasn't practical for regular use, but if you had to once or twice it was possible, but make sure saw could oil it, chain was sharp, skip tooth, yada, yada, yada.
The last couple comments were in jest.

No I ran that saw daily like that 6 hours a days for probably 2 years maybe more straight. My point is the thought around here isn’t always correct heck this combo is pretty common to see on yarder ground around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That doesn't look like your pulling that in hard wood either. believe me I'm the world's biggest fan of the 562xp, I have 2 and comparing a stock 562 to a 590 isn't fair let alone a ported 562xp. I've had a 24 on mine in PA hardwood and can tell you it's about at its max. I'm sure it wouldn't have near as hard a time in softer woods.

I WISH I could find some big logs around here.
I have a Pioneer P41 and a Homelite 1020 that I haven't been able to try out with some larger trunks.

Come to my neck of the woods. For the past 7 or 8 years I have been considering dropping a tree that is at least 4 feet in diameter at the base. Dead and wont fall over, and is enough wood to last a long long time. I was all set to do it this year, and primed my neighbors to help, but I am now dealing with sciatic nerve pain.

Come to my neck of the woods. For the past 7 or 8 years I have been considering dropping a tree that is at least 4 feet in diameter at the base. Dead and wont fall over, and is enough wood to last a long long time. I was all set to do it this year, and primed my neighbors to help, but I am now dealing with sciatic nerve pain.
I call it psychotic nerve pain, because it drives me crazy.
I feel for you though. Mine comes and goes and is manageable.

I call it psychotic nerve pain, because it drives me crazy.
I feel for you though. Mine comes and goes and is manageable.

I have had it since the 2nd week in April. I finally stop my procrastinating and signed up for VA benefits. They have prescribed medication, and it is helping, but I am probably going to have some scans and do some physical therapy.

The worst is not being able to go out in the forest and harvest firewood. Luckily I have plenty, but I want more.

I have had it since the 2nd week in April. I finally stop my procrastinating and signed up for VA benefits. They have prescribed medication, and it is helping, but I am probably going to have some scans and do some physical therapy.

The worst is not being able to go out in the forest and harvest firewood. Luckily I have plenty, but I want more.
Have you tried a good chiropractor?
Did wonders for mine.

Back to the OP... Best overall advice I can give you is learn to sharpen properly. There's a heap of information & advice on here.
A well sharpened chain is pretty much the most significant thing you can do to get a saw to perform it's best.
I'd suggest getting one of the Husky roller guides. If you have plenty of chains a bench grinder could be a worthwhile investment, swap chains during the day & sharpen in the evening.
I think you're looking at bar length the wrong way... The longer the bar is the more power it saps from the saw before the chain even touches wood. After a well sharpened chain, the next best thing you can do to get max power into the cut is run a bar that's just long enough to do the job. As stated earlier, that doesn't need to be much more than half the width of the log.
If you're only occasionally cutting +30" stick with the 24" bar on the 590 & focus on sharpening & cutting technique. If you find yourself cutting bigger hard stuff more regularly I'd suggest looking for a good used Makita/Dolmar/Stihl/Husky etc in the +70cc category

I run 24" on my 590s with good results. Seems to pull just fine. I've never owned a stihl husky dolmar jonserd so I can't compare it to them. But I am happy with the cut performance.

Attachments

• 20210410_101539_resized.jpg
    20210410_101539_resized.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
I have a 2011 Echo CS-600P. Got it after a tornado blew through here that year and we had some 40 to 48 inch trees to cut up. Works great with the 24" bar and OK with the 27" (a listed option). Did have to cut up one 100' tall cherry from that storm and that was HARD.

Since I just normally cut firewood for personal use (mostly oak and some hickory, ash, and maple), I typically get by fine with my 40cc 18" CS-400 only dragging out the 600P on the occasion I run into something needing the 24".

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Those cs 400s are mean for 40 cc. Probly best bang for the buck. Glad I didn't spend the $ on a 28" bar for my 590 after hearing all the info. My stock 590 pulls the 24" bar pretty good. I didn't notice much difference between skip tooth and regular chain. Thinking the regular chain performed slightly better on red oak

Back