Cut marks left on log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
What made these marks? It doesn't look like anything I've seen from a regular hand held chainsaw. Maybe some type of harvester?

sawmasrks01.jpg

What made these marks? It doesn't look like anything I've seen from a regular hand held chainsaw. Maybe some type of harvester?

sawmasrks01.jpg

Hmm... maybe one of those saw blade harvesters?

Like this?

Tigercat%20Imprving%20harvester%20productivity.jpg

Can't find a good pic of the saw blade harvester head.

what was around it?

tracks? marks on trunk? that branch in front of your hand looks like it has scarring from equipment use? also looks like it was cut from one side and broke off the last couple inches?

I'm guessing some sort of harvester...something "likeish" this

Turbo Saw - Tree and Brush Cutter for Skid Steer

love a good CSI case!

Cheers!

maybe a really dull saw, looks like it was rocked back and forth, those harvesters cut really smooth.

That is my thinking as well -- a lot of rocking back and forth.

So the thought is that someone with a really dull chainsaw dropped that tree without notching it? Don't know what did the cutting but I doubt it was done with a chainsaw.

Not enough of the picture to tell, the notch may be on the bottom side we can't see, or it broke when it hit or my guess is that the notch would have been further behind the camera and it went in the truck already.

I use a very small notch on tree's that are leaning hard over. If it was a harvester it would have taken the tree instead of left it wouldn't you think, the piece were looking at is still pretty good sized, probably 10"+ across. Would have been good firewood size, maybe he didn't want to mess with sharpening again and the load was close to full and he left it for next time.

maybe a beaver with a chipped tooth.

I go with the chain saw and a lot of rocking.

Here's what I know:

I found this log from a strip of land that was cleared for the future installation of a fence through a wooded area (all hardwoods). There are a few treetops that are still around, so I presume the big logs with felling cuts went to the mill. These logs look like treetops. The ground shows evidence of a small tracked vehicle going through the area, but that could be some skidder and not necessarily a harvesting machine. I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for your opinions. Sorry if this is a little off topic for the chainsaw forum.

is it possible that not all the teeth of the chain from one side were filled evenly ?
also nonparallel marks may indicate rocking the saw up/ down ?

Holy old thread batman...and it ain't even Easter!!

believe it or not, this thread has been in the back of my mind for over a year now...

and today I might (might) have found the answer.

2012-12-03_13-12-47_415.jpg

this is a piece of hedge from the firewood pile (2 years old), that I'm making into a "pretty piece of hedge" to use as a paper weight

the face you're seeing was cut partway with a bow saw, then part way with a sawzall (don't ask...and yes, there are now chisel marks on the face)

then I set it on the bench, put my left hand on it for stability/support, and pared the bark/cambium off with a chisel...took about 30 mins or so

when I got done, I saw these ridges...I surmise that the oils/moisture from my hand wicked into the grain and caused them

and so, I surmise that the marks in the OP's pic are so pronounced because of moisture...probably uneven drying caused by saw dust blocking up the grain in some places, and not others...and probably a dull saw caused the non-uniform marks?

there...I feel better :bang:

Last edited:
You see any track or wheel marks in the ground around there? there would be obvious signs and way more trees than that one if someone was in there with a machine. that being said i've been around logging for quite a while. i've watched feller bunchers ( we call 'em shears usually ) and dangle head processors plenty. two of my good friends both run each of those machines. they don't cut that irregularly. they are close to perfectly symmetrical marks even when you hit a tree multiple times with a buncher because of its diameter it'll have sets of symmetrical marks. and processors go through logs in one go and leave a perfect looking buck. that is definitely somebody with a dull messed up power saw.

Ill get CSI New York on this asap well get DNA and search the scene for other incriminating evidence.

When I was younger I got the bright idea to cut my rakers down a little too far... My saw would yank and pull and would leave marks on the wood very similar to these. Not sure if that's what it is, but I had pieces that year that closely resembled these.

Latest posts

Back