Cylinder base sealant, expensive Stihl silicone or hi temp red RTV ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
I am going to re-ring and freshen up a friend's MS310, and since there is no cylinder base gasket, I see where Stihl uses a red silicone.

Do I REALLY need to buy the expensive Stihl brand sealant, or can I use standard high temp red RTV silicone?

Also, any suggestions you guys may have regarding the "freshen up" would be appreciated.

Since the crank seals appear good and there are no issues there, I don't see the need to take the crankcase apart.

Just new rings on the top end, new gaskets where needed, new fuel lines and a carb kit.

My vote is for Yamabond as well. The old-school Dirko that Stihl sold was the same grey sealer as Yamabond, which resisted fuel and heat really well. The newer red Dirko that Stihl sells isn't much better than red RTV.

RTV silicone is not good for sealing engines. If you don't have access to Yamabond or a decent bike shop nearby, then that Ultra Copper or whatever it's called, will work.

I paid the $20 for the Dirko, and have never had one come back with the sealant leaking. $20 is not that hard to absorb in 1 or 2 rebuilds.

Whatever you use, make sure it is fuel-proof. Many RTV type sealers are not. The bottom end of that engine will be in constant contact with fuel. If that sealant leaks, you will have an air leak and possibly a scored top end very soon.

I am going to re-ring and freshen up a friend's MS310, and since there is no cylinder base gasket, I see where Stihl uses a red silicone.

Do I REALLY need to buy the expensive Stihl brand sealant, or can I use standard high temp red RTV silicone?

Also, any suggestions you guys may have regarding the "freshen up" would be appreciated.

Since the crank seals appear good and there are no issues there, I don't see the need to take the crankcase apart.

Just new rings on the top end, new gaskets where needed, new fuel lines and a carb kit.

You will definitely be taking the "crankcase" apart.....

ThreeBond, Evinrude crankcase sealant same stuff, all essentially same stuff. I use Three-Bond cause I have lots of it since I rebuild snowmachines often.

A few years ago I was looking for yamaBond and had trouble finding it. I ended up with ThreeBond, it looked the same and I never had a problem with it. If I was shopping for a new tube now I would look for yamabond :)

I started a thread like this yesterday asking about sealer for a MS180 crankcase. One of the responses to that was Hondabond which is the same as ThreeBond and Yamabond. I googled "Hondabond substitute" today and found that Permatex Ultra Grey is the same thing.

I have been using the John Deere white sealer they use on their diesel engines for a while and it has been working very well. 10 bucks a tube and it is fuel/oil proof. It is very good stuff. Just another alternative...

Anyone tried good ol' Permatex 2B ? I've used it on a lot of things including in place of a base gasket on a couple of old Homies without any problems. It's fuel/oil resistant. I just put a thin coat on both surfaces, wait for a few minutes to let it get tacky and put 'er together. I know it's not as good as the stuff mentioned so far, but it is available at any parts store and it hasn't failed me yet.

Latest posts

Back