Cylinder base sealant, expensive Stihl silicone or hi temp red RTV ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a ton of #2 in auto and 4 cycle applications. It works great as both a gasket maker and a gasket treatment. Hi Tack gasket sealer is really good stuff too, especially for gaskets that need to be glued in place for correct assembly. Finally, Super 300 is a great gasket treatment that is my go to for most paper and cork gaskets. It can be applied alot more thinly with the brush top can and is not as gooey as the others.

I sent Permatex an e-mail asking which product they recommend for sealing chainsaw jugs and crankcases and they quickly replied. Motoseal is what they recommend so I guess it's official now. Hopefully O'Reilly's has it in stock here also, Advance has to order it.

So the only one that will seal plastic crankcase like husqvarna 235r is Permatex motoseal? Or others like permatex ultra grey would be enough?
Cause i used few others without luck.

That's what I figured, best to stick with what's proven. I'll pick up some Motoseal after work.

I did call Echo this morning and ask what they recommend. After some delay, the helpful (but not tech savvy) lady on the phone got ahold of a technician, who said that any automotive gasket maker product that resists gasoline should work and that there is no specific sealer listed in their data.

Loctite 518 or equivalent. I have also seen them recommend Loctite 515

Another option that I haven't seen on a sealer thread is a contact cement type glue/sealer. I've used one that came from Tilton Eq. called Pliobond. It came in a 3oz glass bottle with a brush that made for easy application with no mess. Applied thin layer to both sides. Dries quick but stays pliable. Done a dozen or more cylinders with it with no signs of leakage (without gasket). It was time to re-order and found Tilton no longer carries it. Searched the net for Pliobond and found it on Amazon in an 8oz can w/brush vs 3oz glass for about same $$$. Should last me a few years!!

Permatex MotoSeal here as well. Most other sealers don't say they are gasoline resistant, MotoSeal does. Most auto parts stores will have it.

Latest posts

Back