Cylinder base sealant, expensive Stihl silicone or hi temp red RTV ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. But you'll have to switch to 'Fourbond' and 'Fivebond' for your next couple of saws...

Yes, it appears it will come to that. I only used very little of out of the tube of Threebond and now I'm going to have to get rid of that tube and now get a Fourbond and so on consecutively higher. Hopefully they sell it in smaller quantities, otherwise this is going to get expensive, LOL.

Sam

I started a thread like this yesterday asking about sealer for a MS180 crankcase. One of the responses to that was Hondabond which is the same as ThreeBond and Yamabond. I googled "Hondabond substitute" today and found that Permatex Ultra Grey is the same thing.

Correct. Hondabond, Yamabond, Threebond 1104, Threebond 1194 (subsituted 1104), and Permatex Ultra Grey are all the same thing and will work great for sealing up a crankcase or cylinder base. Threebond 1211 can also be used, but its near 3X the cost and not really needed.

The other sealant type I've seen people use, and I'm not the most fond of it, is Permatex Anerobic Sealant. It hardens with the absence of air and is red sticky gelly stuff. I would stick with the semi-hardening threebond 1194.

Last edited:
Anyone tried good ol' Permatex 2B ? I've used it on a lot of things including in place of a base gasket on a couple of old Homies without any problems. It's fuel/oil resistant. I just put a thin coat on both surfaces, wait for a few minutes to let it get tacky and put 'er together. I know it's not as good as the stuff mentioned so far, but it is available at any parts store and it hasn't failed me yet.

i just used the Permatex 1 form a gasket sealant on my MS250 and it seems to work real good. i haven't had a problem out of it yet.Knock on wood

From the Permatex line, the only one that I found to be gasoline proof and heat proof was the Permatex MotoSeal. I only was able to find the Ultra Grey locally so decided to get the MotoSeal instead that is labeled as gasoline and heat proof and odered it on Fleebay.

It's a grey sealant and was a bit watery when applied. You have to wait a bit before mating the jug to the bottom end and make sure not to put too much that it will bleed into the crankcase.

That will work perfect!!

I had trouble with sealing a clamshell crankcase using RTV. I read this thread and ordered the Threebond that Northwood sells. It arrived lightning fast and I've already used it to seal two. Works great!!

Thanks for the information!

Rep for mopar1rules!

I found this thread looking for info on what to use for sealing the bottom of the jug on my little Echo CS-3000. Nothing is mentioned in the parts schematic, gasket or sealer. What would you guys recommend for this purpose? I'm leaning towards Permatex Ultra Gray because I have used it so much on auto engines, but is there something better?

I use Permatex Motoseal as well. I never had a problem with it and it's easy to work with.
I just used some on a CS-3000 a couple weeks ago. Sealing the jug. It looked like the factory stuff was some kind of shellac?? It was leaking terrible.

Last edited:
Arrowhead, I'm rebuilding my own CS-3000 right now and am deciding what sealant to use on the bottom of the jug. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used Permatex Form a Gasket #2? It is supposed to be highly fuel and heat resistant and non hardening. I've used it with success in many other applications but not a cylinder jug. I ask because I already have it at home, if #2 works just as well I'll just use that. Otherwise I'll go get the Motoseal.

Arrowhead, I'm rebuilding my own CS-3000 right now and am deciding what sealant to use on the bottom of the jug. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used Permatex Form a Gasket #2? It is supposed to be highly fuel and heat resistant and non hardening. I've used it with success in many other applications but not a cylinder jug. I ask because I already have it at home, if #2 works just as well I'll just use that. Otherwise I'll go get the Motoseal.

I've never used #2 on saws. I've used it a bunch on auto stuff though. I wouldn't take any chances, get either the motoseal, dirko, 3bond, yamabond etc... they are all proven winners.

That's what I figured, best to stick with what's proven. I'll pick up some Motoseal after work.

I did call Echo this morning and ask what they recommend. After some delay, the helpful (but not tech savvy) lady on the phone got ahold of a technician, who said that any automotive gasket maker product that resists gasoline should work and that there is no specific sealer listed in their data.

I've used #2 Permatex for a pan gasket on the 500, and as a gasket sealer on the head gasket of other stuff I've fixed. Also used it as a tank sealer on the Mac 10-10S.

Seems to be working so far...

Will add the absolute worst stuff I've tried to get off is the Indian head gasket shellack. That stuff is horrible to remove.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back