Dangerous tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Most of us will probably agree that the chainsaw is the most dangerous hand held tool in common use but what do you think about some of these others?
1. Big powerful two handle drill turning a large bit into wood when the big catches something and stops turning.
2. One or two man auger (post hole digger) when the auger hits a rock or root and stops turning.
3. Angle grinder with a thin cutting wheel. Lose focus on what you are doing with this and you could be visiting the ER.

I saw a report some time back that said most injuries with tools were skilsaws and power drills. Chainsaw was well down the list IIRC.

The cutoff saw is Stihl's most highly litigated product.
20170620_165603.jpg
Here's what a full length of angle iron can do to a month old saw in the hands of a newbie who didn't pay attention in the safety training meeting.
Plus his boss giving him the non-approved wheel made it worse.
Scared him so badly he went home.
Luckily nobody was injured.
20181003_084156.jpg

The deflector spun almost 360°.

Anything that cuts or rotates is dangerous to some degree.

Funny you bring up augers... My roommate in college was digging holes in an old lady's front yard with an auger made for two people. Fred wasn't that big of a guy but he was strong. Anyway he decided to "drive" the auger from one hole to the next when it "got away from him." First it got a hold of his shorts- ripping them off. Then his boxers, then his shirt- all wrapped around the auger bit. So there he is buck naked except for his shoes in this old lady's front yard trying to unwind his clothes... I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the horizontal scrapes going up his inner thigh about every 6 inches.

Funny you bring up augers... My roommate in college was digging holes in an old lady's front yard with an auger made for two people. Fred wasn't that big of a guy but he was strong. Anyway he decided to "drive" the auger from one hole to the next when it "got away from him." First it got a hold of his shorts- ripping them off. Then his boxers, then his shirt- all wrapped around the auger bit. So there he is buck naked except for his shoes in this old lady's front yard trying to unwind his clothes... I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen the horizontal scrapes going up his inner thigh about every 6 inches.
Must have been sitting on it trying to make it dig.

Steve

A friend's adult daughter was killed 2 or years ago from a post hole auger.

Hoodie with strings on it.

Ive had 2 very bad incidents with drills. One with a porta mag. Was drilling some holes in a weldment upside down when a coworker kicked the cord unplugged and the unit came crashing down on me below. Broke my coller bone and the 1inch drill just missed my juggler vein but still drilled over 2 inches into my neck/shoulder area. The other was bout 10 drilling holes in a burn barrel with a big blackn decker 1/2" srill motor. Bit caught and spun me around broke my wrist and jaw.

Drills are totally underestimated. even a little battery operated drill can be pretty torque-y in low gear, especially with hole saws and other big bits that want to grab. My grandfather called his drill motor "big joe". he's an old aluminum bodied single speed on/off, Geared for lots-o-torque at 450rpm. My buddy says the poulan 5400 with the bow that he sold me last week is the only tool that's ever scared him. I am personally much more scared of big joe and broken arms. he sits on a shelf waiting an overhaul that may never happen.

Grinders are mostly a problem when some dumbass takes the guard off, or is using a cut off wheel for grinding instead of on edge for cutting. People forgetting to unplug their tools when they change blades/bits is another way the grinder gets dangerous.

Powered equipment handling machines.
Powered nailer, stapler, etc.
Ladder, lifts, manual or powered people elevators.
Manual driving devices, a hammer, magnetic tack drivers to stake drivers.
Screwdriver.
Prying tool, not screwdrivers.

Those are the things that were involved in most injury’s requiring medical care for the most people that I witnessed.

Odd stuff..
Scissors, knives, awls and sanders.

Sanders seem to spend all thier time looking to yank somebody’s hair out. Weird, sanders really hate long hair. Grinders also hate long hair. Both hate jewelry, decorative neck scarves(ties), and improper fitted and or installed clothing. “Unbreakable”necklace chains do break after causing deep laceration across neck.

Odder still,
Mops and brooms, seem as though they are always looking to slip, trip, poke, push, whack and otherwise injure people’s back, knees skulls, eyes and hands.

Chemicals, all of them. They all hate people. Love fire, burns, nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, melty skin stuff, etc.

I've read that jointers and bandsaws get more people than table saws, probably because those other machines SEEM tamer. On the other hand, the radial-arm saw seems designed to take limbs.

Wire wheel on an angle grinder without a guard can get right ugly. Metal lathes gobble up people every so often, too...

Latest posts

Back