Dealing With Dirko...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some red high temperature gasket maker made by Permatex I think, I may try it on my next clamshell. It's not quite as fibrous as Dirko but may work...I'll have to check and see if it is fuel resistant..

If it's the red high temp RTV, that is not the correct sealant. Too thick, and what squeezes out inside the crankcase will harden up and opens up the possibility for FOD (Foreign Object Damage) whenever it breaks loose.

The correct Permatex to use is the 51813 (Loctite 518 is the same thing). The 51813 is an anaerobic sealant, which mean it only cures in the absence of air once the clamshell or cylinder is reassembled. Any squeeze out stays liquid and can simply be wiped off on the outsize. Inside the crankcase, the fuel mix washes it out with no ill effects. This is the same stuff used to seal up crankcase halves on 2 stroke outboards, from the little single cylinder ones to the big V6's. Good stuff, and easy to work with.

Back