Debating between a Stihl 362 and a Husqvarna 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt33

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm a newbie on this site and I've already learned a lot from you guys. I’m thinking about buying a new saw. I live on approximately 100 acres of mixed hardwood and softwood trees in NE PA. I usually buy one tri-axle load of hardwood logs each summer for my firewood needs, but I also occasionally cut and trim trees from around the property. My Dad gratuitously loaned (more or less gave) me his Sthil MS290 a couple of years ago. It has been very reliable, but sometimes I wish it had more power, especially when cutting tri-axle loads of logs. Most importantly, I put a lot of hours on the saw each weekend and don’t feel right wearing out his saw (which was brand new when he left it here for me to use).

I went to my local Sthil/Husqvarna dealer this morning and looked at saws. I narrowed my choices down to the Stihl MS362 (best price was $625) and the Husqvarna 372XP (best price was $750). While the saws weighed nearly the same in my hands (both had 20” bars), the 372XP has a considerably larger displacement and more HP. It may just be my perception, but the Sthil felt like it might have been of slightly better quality.

My brain tells me the Husqvarna is probably the right choice because it bridges a larger gap beyond my current Farmboss. However, I wanted to get everyone’s input before I made a choice. Does the 372XP cut substantially better than the MS362? Do you feel the 372XP is worth the extra cost based on my needs? Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit to add: every employee in the store tried to steer my toward the Stihl. They said they simply felt that Stihl makes a better saw. I assumed these guys were just "Stihl guys", but I want to make sure there's no merit in their recommendation(s). Had they not stongly recommended the Sthil, I probably would have bought the Husky right on the spot. The only professional logger I know said he likes Husqvarna saws better. Also, the most I can spend on any saw is $750.

Last edited:
Yep, I'd go with the 372XP as well, even at that price difference. That saw is nearly legendary and the 362 is new and unproven. But did you also have a look at the Husky 576XP. It's new as well, but has an electronic carb. (the first one ever, I believe) and is generally very well thought of. Might be even more money, however.

The only con of the 372XP against the MS362 would be the lesser fuel economy, IMO; but that may be mitigated somewhat by the faster cutting times of the more powerful 372XP.

Here's the deal: You live on 100 acres of forest and heat with wood. You're going to own more than one saw eventually. Plan on getting a lighter limbing/small bucking saw and a larger displacement felling/big bucking saw. This two saw plan often ends up being a 50cc & 70cc saw combo or a 60cc and 80+cc saw combo for the firewood producer.

Last edited:
Here's the deal: You live on 100 acres of forest and heat with wood. You're going to own more than one saw eventually. Plan on getting a lighter limbing/small bucking saw and a larger displacement felling/big bucking saw. This two saw plan often ends up being a 50cc & 70cc saw combo or a 60cc and 80+cc saw combo for the firewood producer.

Well said! If one was available, a 440 would be my choice.

Yeah

The only con of the 372XP against the MS362 would be the lesser fuel economy, IMO; but that may be mitigated somewhat by the faster cutting times of the more powerful 372XP.

Definitely what he said!

Olyeller

Not really a fair comparison, the 372 is a better choice of the two though, unless you talking about qaulity :D (thats a joke, iv been getting urges to buy a 372) I personally think the fellow should get himself a used 044 and be done with it. (save money as well)

It may just be my perception, but the Sthil felt like it might have been of slightly better quality.

I'm always a little leery of getting involved with these Stihl vs. Husky Debates.:dizzy:

Quality of a 372 is just fine. That saw has been produced for over ten years (it started out as the 371) So all the bugs have been worked out long ago.
I've owned and run both the MS440 and The Husqvarna 372's and they're both Great saws, To me Stihl and Husqvarna is like the 'ol Ford vs. Chevy debate (IMHO).
BTW, Aftermarket Parts for the 372 are easier to get than a MS362. So my vote goes to The 372.:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm always a little leery of getting involved with these Stihl vs. Husky Debates.:dizzy:

Quality of a 372 is just fine. That saw has been produced for over ten years (it started out as the 371) So all the bugs have been worked out long ago.
I've owned and run both the MS440 and The Husqvarna 372's and they're both Great saws, To me Stihl and Husqvarna is like the 'ol Ford vs. Chevy debate (IMHO).
BTW, Aftermarket Parts for the 372 are easier to get than a MS361. So my vote goes to The 372.:cheers:

I appreciate everyone's response so far. I recognize that the Sthil vs. Husky is probably a Ford vs. Chevy type thing. However, if the are real benefits or drawbacks with either saw please let me know. Does the 372XP cut noticeably faster than the MS362?

Also, I notice a lot of guys modify the exhaust on their saws. Is that something you recommend? Lastly, I run Sthil's Ultra synthectic 2 stroke oil with 92+ octane gas and Sthil bar and chain oil. Are these same lubes/ratios safe to use with a Husky?

..... Lastly, I run Sthil's Ultra synthectic 2 stroke oil with 92+ octane gas and Sthil bar and chain oil. Are these same lubes/ratios safe to use with a Husky?

That will work just fine, and the ratio should be 1:50 on any reasonably modern Stihl or Husky.

Regardless of the saw, try to avoid gas with Ethanol in it!

I can't add a comparison, but the 372XP is a cutting machine. Big difference from a Stihl 028 I've been using. I bought the 372 used from a lumber co. that used it every day all week for 2 years. He was going right out to buy a new one - they trade out that way. From guys I know doing it for a living, they are 50/50 Husky vs. Stihl.

Not really a fair comparison, the 372 is a better choice of the two though, unless you talking about qaulity :D (thats a joke, iv been getting urges to buy a 372) I personally think the fellow should get himself a used 044 and be done with it. (save money as well)

there is nothing wrong with the quality of the 372. Inface ide say that the 372 has a big advantage over a 44...

I appreciate everyone's response so far. I recognize that the Sthil vs. Husky is probably a Ford vs. Chevy type thing. However, if the are real benefits or drawbacks with either saw please let me know. Does the 372XP cut noticeably faster than the MS362?

Also, I notice a lot of guys modify the exhaust on their saws. Is that something you recommend? Lastly, I run Sthil's Ultra synthectic 2 stroke oil with 92+ octane gas and Sthil bar and chain oil. Are these same lubes/ratios safe to use with a Husky?

Oh yeah, A Husky 372 will snort right past a MS362, especially if you port the muff. If you run a ported muff, be sure to retune your carb afterward.
Stihl Ultra Synthetic is good stuff and is safe to use in a Husky, so is their bar oil (although you can get some fairly decent bar oil for way cheaper, at Tractor supply, assuming there's one near you).:cheers:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, A Husky 372 will snort right past a MS361, especially if you port the muff. If you run a ported muff, be sure to retune your carb afterward.
Stihl Ultra Synthetic is good stuff and is safe to use in a Husky, so is their bar oil (although you can get some fairly decent bar oil for way cheaper, at Tractor supply, assuming there's one near you).:cheers:

There's a TSS nearby (30 minutes). Is the oil you recommend their house brand?

Back