Debating between a Stihl 362 and a Husqvarna 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on an 0.050" gauge bar though, I'm guessing ;)

If he has an 058 bar, he'll need more 058 chain (or sell them and get an 050 bar and chains)

Huskie's (and Dolmar's) default pitch worldwide is 0.058", Stihl's is 0.063" in 3/8 bar/chain, it appears it's only North America that 0.050" gauge predominates.

I believe that is all true! :agree2:

ummm, you cant break the airfilter off a 372 by falling on it like you can on a 44, its easier to to break a gas tank with a thrown chain on a 44, you cant trash the oiler by putting the clutch on wrong on a 372, you dont get a tea spoon of dust past the filter every 4 hours on a 372.

theres more too. . .

I dont know how you would break an air filter off a 44 by falling on it, unless you crushed the entire saw. As far as breaking gas tanks with a thrown chain...not gonna happen. And finally i happen to be smart enough to properly install a clutch so i have no worries. Iv never had a speck of dust through my air filter, if i were in a dusty enviorment id get a better filter. Do you have any other absurd and un-true statements to back up your theory?

I believe that is all true! :agree2:

I'm learning about chain sizes and types quickly. I'm thrilled that my Stihl dealer stocks Stihl RSC chain in my Husky's size of 3/8 .058 72. I bought three extra chains today and this weekend I plan to buy another three more. He said he'll sell me all the Stihl chains for my 372XP I want for $20 a pop.

That's not too bad of a price at $1 an inch. The 24" chain I got the other day was $28.

ummm, you cant break the airfilter off a 372 by falling on it like you can on a 44, its easier to to break a gas tank with a thrown chain on a 44, you cant trash the oiler by putting the clutch on wrong on a 372, you dont get a tea spoon of dust past the filter every 4 hours on a 372.

theres more too. . .

WoW! :monkey:

Thats the first I've heard on any of these.

And if you can't pull out the filter and beat the dust out of it you just need to keep your husky! Stihl may not be everything, but they are the toughest saws made IMO!

I'm used to about $.50 an inch for oregon. I just got one chain to see if I like it. It's an RSK chain that supposed to clear chips better than RSC and is round ground.

I'm used to about $.50 an inch for oregon. I just got one chain to see if I like it. It's an RSK chain that supposed to clear chips better than RSC and is round ground.

Ihave been getting the urge to try other brands too, just to see whats out there. Like to find something good for my 260 P.

Not really a fair comparison, the 372 is a better choice of the two though, unless you talking about qaulity :D (thats a joke, iv been getting urges to buy a 372) I personally think the fellow should get himself a used 044 and be done with it. (save money as well)
Yeppers ... equipped with a hole shot (max flow filter) that saw wood serve him nicely ; 046;460;461 equipped the same wood be even better ... better yet a used ported 046,460,461 with a 20” bar wood be an absolute beast of a saw in PA hardwoods ... I’m up north in NY and I’ve got a ripper 461 (ported with max-flow) that will out cut a stock 362 2 to 1 in 20” timber although it will use more fuel ... definitely will spankola a stock 372xp x-torque no problem ! I’d stay away from the 372xp x-torque and go STIHL but that’s my opinion ...

Let me start by saying I'm a newbie on this site and I've already learned a lot from you guys. I’m thinking about buying a new saw. I live on approximately 100 acres of mixed hardwood and softwood trees in NE PA. I usually buy one tri-axle load of hardwood logs each summer for my firewood needs, but I also occasionally cut and trim trees from around the property. My Dad gratuitously loaned (more or less gave) me his Sthil MS290 a couple of years ago. It has been very reliable, but sometimes I wish it had more power, especially when cutting tri-axle loads of logs. Most importantly, I put a lot of hours on the saw each weekend and don’t feel right wearing out his saw (which was brand new when he left it here for me to use).

I went to my local Sthil/Husqvarna dealer this morning and looked at saws. I narrowed my choices down to the Stihl MS362 (best price was $625) and the Husqvarna 372XP (best price was $750). While the saws weighed nearly the same in my hands (both had 20” bars), the 372XP has a considerably larger displacement and more HP. It may just be my perception, but the Sthil felt like it might have been of slightly better quality.

My brain tells me the Husqvarna is probably the right choice because it bridges a larger gap beyond my current Farmboss. However, I wanted to get everyone’s input before I made a choice. Does the 372XP cut substantially better than the MS362? Do you feel the 372XP is worth the extra cost based on my needs? Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit to add: every employee in the store tried to steer my toward the Stihl. They said they simply felt that Stihl makes a better saw. I assumed these guys were just "Stihl guys", but I want to make sure there's no merit in their recommendation(s). Had they not stongly recommended the Sthil, I probably would have bought the Husky right on the spot. The only professional logger I know said he likes Husqvarna saws better. Also, the most I can spend on any saw is $750.
GET THE 372XP HUSQVARNA OR STIHL MS 441 SAW EITHER WILL SPIN 24 EVEN 28 INCH BARS ,20 BAR PERFORMANCE EXCEPTIONAL

Back