Debating between a Stihl 362 and a Husqvarna 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly are these advantages? :spam:

ummm, you cant break the airfilter off a 372 by falling on it like you can on a 44, its easier to to break a gas tank with a thrown chain on a 44, you cant trash the oiler by putting the clutch on wrong on a 372, you dont get a tea spoon of dust past the filter every 4 hours on a 372.

theres more too. . .

I have never seen or run an ms362 cuz my dealer claims they don’t exist (at least until he clears his remaining inventory of POS ms361s). I have an ms361 and about seven or so 372(s) in some form or another. Would I buy another ms361? No way in hell. Would I buy another 372? In a heartbeat. Enough said.

I'm always a little leery of getting involved with these Stihl vs. Husky Debates.:dizzy:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee too!

But sometimes I just jump in anyway, as I will do now. Even more bizarre, is I'm going to defend the "opposition" this time. The reason is the emergence of yet another AS myth: The 044 cylinder is "old" technology that doesn't measure up to the 372 style.

The quad-port cylinder of the 372 could be considered an improvement of the type on the 044, but it's absolutely silly to try and turn this slight difference into a "negative" for the 044 in one of these goofy comparisons. If you want to knock the 044 cylinder, then that same criticism would apply to the 242XP, 262XP, 272XP, 288XP, etc. Now we Husky guys wouldn't want to do that would we? :cheers:

Back to the original question: Get 'em both! :cheers:

Last edited:
Yes, as far as I have been told!

7300 as well, but not 6400.

No, the 6400 has six (open) transfer ports.
Casting quality is superb.

attachment.php

Stock 7900/1 cylinder

attachment.php

Update:
I went back and bought the 372XP today. I haven't had a chance to get out and cut some wood yet, but just starting this up and gassing the throttle it sounds like a real hot rod. It starts easier than I expected, I'm 178 pounds and there's no need for me to push the decompression button. I'll give a full report once I get some trigger time (I'm expecting a tri-axle load delivered any day now). Here's a gratuitous pic:
Husqvarnachainsaw010.jpg

Looks like a 20" with the LPX with bumper drive links. Good looking saw cleaned up.

Update:
I went back and bought the 372XP today. I haven't had a chance to get out and cut some wood yet, but just starting this up and gassing the throttle it sounds like a real hot rod. It starts easier than I expected, I'm 178 pounds and there's no need for me to push the decompression button. I'll give a full report once I get some trigger time (I'm expecting a tri-axle load delivered any day now). Here's a gratuitous pic:
Husqvarnachainsaw010.jpg

Sure wish my 372 looked like that, but I guess you get what you pay for....;)

Real nice looking saw you have there. I just bought a 372xpw a few weeks ago and have only run a half tank of gas threw it. I have other saws and don't want it to get all dirty yet:). Its my cleanest saw until I decide between a 385 or a 390:greenchainsaw:
attachment.php

attachment.php

:clap: :clap: Mine looked that good 5 months ago. :dizzy: Should be a 20'' bar anthony.:cheers:

It is a 20" bar. I paid $750 plus 6% tax. That seemed like a fair price. I'm a little confused on the chain size though. I bought an extra chain made by Stihl marked by the dealer with a sharpie "3/8 .058 72". However, online all I can find in Stihl RSC chains is .050, nothing in .058".

I'm reading my manual and it says "Note: for chains above you are free to choose between 0,050" and 0,058" gauge drive link for the corresponding bar, see the table below..."

Does that mean I can run a .050" gauge Stihl RSC chain on my Husqvara 20" bar? I'm sorry for these rookie questions, but my past chain buying expenience was "Steve, I need a chain for an 18" Farmboss". Steve's reply, "Here ya go".

I don't run any Huskys but that seems weird that you would be able to run 2 different pitch chains. New one on me if you can.

I believe they are saying that the chains listed come in both pitches and corresponding bar would mean, the bar thast matches the chain.

It is a 20" bar. I paid $750 plus 6% tax. That seemed like a fair price. I'm a little confused on the chain size though. I bought an extra chain made by Stihl marked by the dealer with a sharpie "3/8 .058 72". However, online all I can find in Stihl RSC chains is .050, nothing in .058".

I'm reading my manual and it says "Note: for chains above you are free to choose between 0,050" and 0,058" gauge drive link for the corresponding bar, see the table below..."

Does that mean I can run a .050" gauge Stihl RSC chain on my Husqvara 20" bar? I'm sorry for these rookie questions, but my past chain buying expenience was "Steve, I need a chain for an 18" Farmboss". Steve's reply, "Here ya go".

Yep, I do on mine.

Yep, I do on mine.

on an 0.050" gauge bar though, I'm guessing ;)

If he has an 058 bar, he'll need more 058 chain (or sell them and get an 050 bar and chains)

Huskie's (and Dolmar's) default pitch worldwide is 0.058", Stihl's is 0.063" in 3/8 bar/chain, it appears it's only North America that 0.050" gauge predominates.

If he has an 058 bar, he'll need more 058 chain (or sell them and get an 050 bar and chains)

Huskie's (and Dolmar's) default pitch worldwide is 0.058", Stihl's is 0.063" in 3/8 bar/chain, it appears it's only North America that 0.050" gauge predominates.

Yea I have never seen anyone be able to mismatch pitches on bar and chain of any saw and it run right.

Like I was saying before, I think in his manual it's saying he can use both chais, but with the matching bars. :cheers:

Yes, .050 gauge bar to .050 RSC chain.
.058 gauge chain is a little hard to come by. I've got two bars that are .058 gauge, but prefer the 050 and 063.

I don't run any Huskys but that seems weird that you would be able to run 2 different pitch chains. New one on me if you can.

I believe they are saying that the chains listed come in both pitches and corresponding bar would mean, the bar thast matches the chain.

.050 vs .058 is a regional deal. You can order the saws either way from Husky depending on what is popular in your area. Up here in the Northeast, it's all .058. Same for the upper midwest I believe. I'm told that down your way it's more of an .050 market, and that out west .050 is about all you'll see. I talked to a memeber out west once about this and he said nobody has run .058 out there since McCulloch faded away.
:cheers:

"For the corresponding bar" sure is the clue here! :givebeer:

The surprice here is that the dealer actually had Stihl chain in .058........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back