Debating between a Stihl 362 and a Husqvarna 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be able to order .058 stihl chain, im not sure, but the usa product guide has no .058 chain available made by stihl..... Or keep the .058 bar and get some oregon lgx/lpx for half the price of the stihl and it cuts just as good......if not better. :laugh:

Even though Stihl makes .058 chain in most configurations, I don't think that many have entered the USA.......

The 3/8" RSC sure is a very good chain!

True as Mike said but I've never seen a Stihl saw on the shelf with .058 locally. Kind of a odd ball size but it can be ordered. .050 and .063 is the most common. You will find .063 more common in the longer loops like 28"+. Stihl square only comes in .050 and .063. Gotta love those crazy chain configurations....:dizzy:

As far as I know, ST, you can order the 058 here. Just very few dealers stock it. I believe that most people just go to the dealer for the same brand of chain, rather than cross that divide.

I once ordered some 66dl 25RSC for my 346xp at a local Stihl dealer. The chain did arrive, but it took a month or so (if memory serves). I was in no hurry anyway, as I just wanted to try them.

My favourite chain on that saw still is Oregon 21LP though......:)

Last edited:
I can only get lpx for the 346 here. I dont like the way it bore cuts though. Always seems rough and jumpy.

I never used the LPX - my supply of chain is a few years old, but the LP borecuts better than any other chain I have used, also in 3/8".

The large ramped rakers that is used on many other chain models are more in the way at the bar tip than the small ramps and "slim" rakers on the LP models.

What exactly are these advantages? :spam:

Air filtration and AV + a more advanced (quad) porting of the cylinder, creating better top end performance. :)

The first Stihl with quad ports was the MS361, and there were no others, before the "stratos".....

Last edited:
Air filtration and AV + a more advanced (quad) porting of the cylinder, creating better top end performance. :)

No advantages in my eyes. The better top end lacks bottom, where the 440 is a better falling/longer b&c saw and the 372 a better firewood/small b&c saw. The 2171 I had acted the same, easy to stop the chain where the 440 kept on chugging. One of my many reasons for it hitting the road.:D

I always thought the 044/440 lacked torque to me. I've never used the 71 cc 372 always the 75cc or big bore. The 576 has more torque than the 75cc 372. It with a little help is running right with the stock 394. I think they have a much wider powerband.

The first Stihl with quad ports was the MS361, and there were no others, before the "stratos".....

do you realize you can obtain air filters that are just as good if not better than the husky filters? As far as the anti vibe goes, if you think the 044 has too much vibes then ya never ran one. and though you claim the 372 has a better top end, i havent seen any 372s that have outlasted any 044s that have both been maintained properly.

The only time my hands start going numb is when im running a weedeater for too long, or pressure washing. 044 is the nimblest most reliable 70cc saw ever produced.

Id still like to get a 372, but i know it wouldnt replace the 44.

No advantages in my eyes. The better top end lacks bottom, where the 440 is a better falling/longer b&c saw and the 372 a better firewood/small b&c saw. The 2171 I had acted the same, easy to stop the chain where the 440 kept on chugging. One of my many reasons for it hitting the road.:D

The bottom end mostly is totally uninteresting, unless you are using a too small saw. No saws cut fast if the bottom end is brought into play!

No saws cut fast if the bottom end is brought into play!

They have different powerbands, the 2717 I had was peaky and needed more attention to keep the rpms going. The 440 is a better falling saw, having more torque and eaiser to use imo. Both good saws though..

Too bad Stihl didn't up the cylinder technology when they went from the 044 to the 440, I guess the company felt that the pro loggers needed other more important improvements like flippy caps. Who needs more performance when you got old school reliability right? :rolleyes:Whatever!:D Rock on 372.:rockn:

Does the 7900 have quad porting?

True as Mike said but I've never seen a Stihl saw on the shelf with .058 locally. Kind of a odd ball size but it can be ordered. .050 and .063 is the most common. You will find .063 more common in the longer loops like 28"+. Stihl square only comes in .050 and .063. Gotta love those crazy chain configurations....:dizzy:

Here, all Stihl regular 3/8" bars are .063 - they refused to sell a .050 one, when I asked the importer.

They said .050 was "too weak" for a MS361, and refused to listen to the truth!

I guess that they just want to keep the logistics as simple as possible. :givebeer:

[QUOTEDoes the 7900 have quad porting?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. I found one picture of a 7900 cylinder here.

015.jpg

I once ordered some 66dl 25RSC for my 346xp at a local Stihl dealer. The chain did arrive, but it took a month or so (if memory serves). I was in no hurry anyway, as I just wanted to try them.

My favourite chain on that saw still is Oregon 21LP though......:)

I have some 25rsc on my 55 and like it....plus, as we dont stock it the boss gives it to me at cost....

21LPX is a good chain also...

I have some 25rsc on my 55 and like it....plus, as we dont stock it the boss gives it to me at cost....

21LPX is a good chain also...

The 21LP cuts a bit faster than the 25RSC when both are close to new, as it cuts a slightly narrower kerf. More important is that it has longer cutters, that taper off slower - so it will last longer. I guess that the cutting speed will even out at some point........
The 21LP also will bore-cut better, if you care. I don't really, as I don't do too much of that anyway, and a slight speed difference is a non-issue, really.

Last edited:
Back