Did I do the right thing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
Had a incident yesterday, kinda wanted to throw it up here to get a opinion from my peers. So I used to have a guy work for me that I found out (via the police) was a really bad criminal. I soon found out that he was stealing from me and cased the homes that we worked at. I fired him right after some little police birdie dropped his actual record on the seat of my truck. OMG, I LET THIS GUY AROUND MY FAMILY! 16 pages of a life devoted to crime. Very obvious this is a bad man. So yesterday, in an exclusive hood. All million dollar homes. There he is. Working for a landscaper right next to us. I told my guys he was there and the H.O. heard me. She asked what I was talking about, so I told her. ( That is where I am debating whether or not I did the right thing) She in-turn called the neighbor and let them know that they had a convicted violent offender on their property. They were not happy and kicked him off. Now I have the landscaper calling with a WTF? Rightfully so. I told him how it went down and that I did not mean to cause him any problems, BUT.....That dude is a P.O.S. and that he needed to run checks on him and he will see for himself. Of course the criminal himself starts blowing my phone up with threats, nothing new there. I feel, that if ya know that a guy is really bad, should you not warn others. Elizabeth Smart comes to mind. I know for a fact that the convict would steal from the contractor and was probably casing the home for a return trip in the middle of the night. This guys has been convicted of Home Invasion, False imprisonment,Every type of theft and robbery you can think of. 16 pages. How he is not in jail, even the Police Chief would like to know who his lawyer is "he has a good one". This guys is so bad that the chief knows him by name and told me that if I see him anywhere near me or my crew, home, yard etc to call 911 right away. I feel that good people should warn other good people about bad people. Am I wrong?

Had a incident yesterday, kinda wanted to throw it up here to get a opinion from my peers. So I used to have a guy work for me that I found out (via the police) was a really bad criminal. I soon found out that he was stealing from me and cased the homes that we worked at. I fired him right after some little police birdie dropped his actual record on the seat of my truck. OMG, I LET THIS GUY AROUND MY FAMILY! 16 pages of a life devoted to crime. Very obvious this is a bad man. So yesterday, in an exclusive hood. All million dollar homes. There he is. Working for a landscaper right next to us. I told my guys he was there and the H.O. heard me. She asked what I was talking about, so I told her. ( That is where I am debating whether or not I did the right thing) She in-turn called the neighbor and let them know that they had a convicted violent offender on their property. They were not happy and kicked him off. Now I have the landscaper calling with a WTF? Rightfully so. I told him how it went down and that I did not mean to cause him any problems, BUT.....That dude is a P.O.S. and that he needed to run checks on him and he will see for himself. Of course the criminal himself starts blowing my phone up with threats, nothing new there. I feel, that if ya know that a guy is really bad, should you not warn others. Elizabeth Smart comes to mind. I know for a fact that the convict would steal from the contractor and was probably casing the home for a return trip in the middle of the night. This guys has been convicted of Home Invasion, False imprisonment,Every type of theft and robbery you can think of. 16 pages. How he is not in jail, even the Police Chief would like to know who his lawyer is "he has a good one". This guys is so bad that the chief knows him by name and told me that if I see him anywhere near me or my crew, home, yard etc to call 911 right away. I feel that good people should warn other good people about bad people. Am I wrong?
I wouldn't of done it on a job but I would have called the landscaper and given him a heads up thats all .... He is bad news and I would guess that he doesn't have much too lose he has 16 pages to prove it ...This type of work attracts a certain type of individual once and a while that lets just say is a bit questionable

I think you went wrong in telling the HO. Granted that was a tough situation once she stuck her nose in it but I would have just simply stated it's a personal issue and you'd rather not disclose the details. The problem is that the landscaper is the one who ultimately suffered simply because he wasn't aware of the situation. Should have just told him in private. And in the future make sure private convos with your employees aren't overheard by HOs.

And you wanna know what else as a father and someone who has something to lose if this guy decides to be pissed with you , while I laid it all on the table I would have let him know that the first thing that I will do the next time I see him WILL NOT BE TO CALL THE COPS so you better hope you see me first .. I mean in your situation he knows where you live , you need to deal with that any means necessary but that is just me .. No one will miss him I think .. But I am a little colder than most but my family oh hell no ..

Yeah, hindsight being 20 20. I debated it for a quick second in my head but then decided that I was not going to lie. She had already heard the word convict and was determined to find out what I was talking about. As you guys know, peeps in those types of neighborhoods handle things a little differently. When the Landscaper called me, my heart sank when I realized what had happened. I didn't need the distraction. Still cant believe that she called down there! I feel bad for him and apologized to him. Hopefully this little fiasco saved him from loosing some gear to the pawn shop. I keep telling myself (I guess so I can feel better about it) That although not done in the right way, that I still warned them and hopefully prevented something bad. Some years ago this individual did a home invasion where he beat them and then kept the people in the basement while he cleaned them out, then left them locked down there. This was at a home where he was working as a pool installer.
But ultimately, your both right. I shoulda known that she could hear me, just never dreamed a little conversation between me and my guys would lead to all that.

Last edited:
If you heard the neighbors house got broke into later, would you say anything? Whats done is done, you exposed him for what he is. Now keep your eyes open, doors locked, gun loaded, put the dogs out and hope the cops get him for something else, soon. Lets not get all PC over trash.

I tend to be a little laissez faire for the most part, but given the extent of his crimes and your being privy, I can't say I would have done much different. It would be one thing if he had a criminal past and was trying to move forward and work for his rice bowl, but since this is his MO, I'd have no mercy. The landscraper ought to be thanking you.

I've had a little experience with guys like this, they tend to make threats, but they always prey on the weak. Not to say he's to be ignored, they make exceptions when they find more courage and ignorance in the same bottle.

I think you did the right thing, may have saved someone a bunch of grief.

Given the choice of telling or never saying anything, you did right.

I agree a call to his boss would have been ideal, but you got put in a spot and dealt with it accordingly.

I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

I wish somebody would out Obama in public on live TV the same as you did to this guy.........

how do you know he was stealing from you..and how old is his record? maybe he's a risk, or maybe it's old news he just can't quite escape. I say this because he is working. Lost a job with you, turns around a gets another right away. That speaks well of him.

how do you know he was stealing from you..and how old is his record? maybe he's a risk, or maybe it's old news he just can't quite escape. I say this because he is working. Lost a job with you, turns around a gets another right away. That speaks well of him.

His MO, Modus operandi, is to use the job to his criminal advantage...of course he's going to run out and get another gig!

Guess I'm just saying the same as everyone else but...Sounds like you did a good thing for your customer and their neighbors but you might take the heat from him. Good for you though, you did what you had to.

Honesty is always the best policy.

Also you should have dropped a tree on him, loaded him in the chipper, and done the world a favor.

I was about to make a similar comment until i read sgreans post about the home invasion and locking the people up in the basement. Assuming this is true....which I figure it is.....he is a POS and thinking he is rehabilitated or whatever is prolly not the case. Sgreanbean did the best thing under the circumstances that was happening at that moment. Calling landscaper may have been best but what if he didnt take it seriuosly enough?? what if the family where this bum was working at were to get robbed/attacked?? THEN WHAT?????

That's a tough call. When I hear home invasion I tend to think that I would have done anything I can to warn his employer and the neighborhood he was working in but you got to be careful. There could be legal ramifications. Been a long time since I have worked in corporate management but it used to be that I could not legally disclose anything about a former employee when called and asked except that they had or had not worked there previously, their job performance and whether or not they left amicably or were fired. I could not discuss criminal records nor specifics on employee termination. That was law and we as managers were counseled on those particulars before we were allowed to work in that capacity.

Thanks for the input guys. To answer the questions. I know he stole from me because one of his buddy's (no honor amongst thieves) was angling to get a job, explained to me how bad guy took a bunch of copper pipes out of the attic of my garage and took them in for scrap. I had bought them to redo the plumbing in my basement. Only 2 or 3 people knew it was up there, only one was not family or a kid. Also, his ex told me how, when he would take a truck home, he would siphon the fuel out and put it in her car, this happened all the time, he wouldn't empty the tank, but her car was always full. She said she didn't pay for fuel while she was with him. She broke it off after he tried to re-arrange her face.Big T is right, his MO is casing the joints he works at. He only stays on long enough to score then bails to get a way, on to the next one. His love is coke, he will make some coin and be broke in the AM, so on to the next score. He has been in and out of prison his whole life, and has the demeanor that tells me he still operates with the rules of the yard, loyal to the street, not to the family. When talking to the Chief, I asked about the legal stand point, he said as long as I do not lie, I am doing a good thing and that he wished other citizens would do the same, warn others of bad people. I will scan a page of his record, just to give you guys a taste of the other 16. Name will be blocked. I knew he had been in some trouble, but not like that. I am not condemning anyone who is trying to turn their life around. But this guy has no intent. Thug Life.

Did you do the right thing?

Just stop for a moment, turn it all around and think about it. Your mother, sister, wife overhears a conversation about a criminal on her property and asks the contractor "what is that all about?" What would you want this guy to say?

What about some lowlife robs your place, your mates place, your families place and you discover that someone had a chance to speak up beforehand and stop it from happening?

Edmund Burke said "all that is required for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing".

You did good man.

Also you should have dropped a tree on him, loaded him in the chipper, and done the world a favor.

You have to be careful not to wreck your chipper blades on scum like that. Make sure you remove his brass belt buckle, gold fillings and diamond earings before attempting. :msp_wink:

ap

(I've regretfully hired some real scumbags before - out of desperation because I couldn't find any other help. Luckily, late night binge drinking kept them showing up late for work so I fired them before they had the chance to stay around long).

Of course you did the right thing. the guilt you would have had to live with should something have happened if you said nothing would have eaten you alive.

Good job. Bad things happen when good men do nothing.

Latest posts

Back