dirty rusty hydraulic tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootall521

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was digging around in Dad's garage and found a hydraulic tank that I remember building 15 or so years ago. It is never been used but it has some rust and dirt and the like in it. Is there a good way to clean it, it is too good to throw away. I thought about cutting the top off and buffing it really good, but would like some other ideas. thanks

Could have it media blasted or shot blasted maybe depending material and tank config?

Lot of work but yah cut the top off and clean it out. Im cheap and thrifty and hate to throw anything away but I wouldnt take a chance with a dirty tank.:cheers:

Dont cut the top out of anything. Take it to a radiator shop and ask them to run it through their cleaning tank; tell them what you're going to use it for and how clean it needs to be - they will understand. If you want to go hog wild you could even ask them to pressure test it while they had it. The cost will be peanuts.

I clean old gas tanks the easy way.Fill the thing up half way with old paint thinner, gas, or anything else you got laying around that is oil based.then drop a handful of large ball bearings in it.Shake the snot out of it for as long as you can stand it, tip the thing on its side and repeat.I leave the tank in the shop and shake the daylights out of it until Im tired then leave it for another time.A few times of doing this will have that tank nice and shiny.

Or, you could send it to me and I will throw it in the back of the truck and have it ride along on firewood deliveries.With some of the roads this week that I have had to travel, itll be clean before you know it.

Back