Do 2 circlips cost that much to ship?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidiro

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone had ever purchase something as small as two circlips. I have stopped by two dealers and neither had them in stock. Now, I was ready to place an order for a set of circlips which cost $2.59 for both and at checkout the shipping was $8. I guess it must be "If it fits it ships" shipping.:bang:

Can't these things be taped to the inside of an envelope and shipped in a .50 cent envelope/stamp? Or tape them both to an invoice and throw invoice in the envelope and ship it with regular mail.

This has got to be the most expensive shipping for the smallest item I've ever come across. Am I being cheap?

Wondering if anyone had ever purchase something as small as two circlips. I have stopped by two dealers and neither had them in stock. Now, I was ready to place an order for a set of circlips which cost $2.59 for both and at checkout the shipping was $8. I guess it must be "If it fits it ships" shipping.:bang:

Can't these things be taped to the inside of an envelope and shipped in a .50 cent envelope/stamp? Or tape them both to an invoice and throw invoice in the envelope and ship it with regular mail.

This has got to be the most expensive shipping for the smallest item I've ever come across. Am I being cheap?

Go to the hardware, and look in the fasteners section.
If the hardware is worth a tinkers damn, they will have 'em.

Agreed on the lunacy of shipping, and shipping costs.

I just bought a cable for the snowblower. 7 bucks. shipping was 15.
Local dealer said it would be two weeks if he ordered it, and it would be 20 bucks.

The stupid cable would fit inside one of those little postal boxes and weighs less than the junk mail we get daily. No sense..none.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Go to the hardware, and look in the fasteners section.
If the hardware is worth a tinkers damn, they will have 'em.

Agreed on the lunacy of shipping, and shipping costs.

I just bought a cable for the snowblower. 7 bucks. shipping was 15.
Local dealer said it would be two weeks if he ordered it, and it would be 20 bucks.

The stupid cable would fit inside one of those little postal boxes and weighs less than the junk mail we get daily. No sense..none.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Never thought about hardware stores carrying piston circlips. I have a couple ACE's in the area, maybe I'll swing by one tomorrow to check.

Naw you're not being too cheap.
I always try to do as much business as possible with my local guy. something like that they can always order for you. Nothing is "in stock" anymore. I went to buy a carb rebuild kit for an 066 and it was in stock. I almost fell over ! Yahoooo !!! too bad nothing else I needed was. But I expect to wait a few days for anything and if I get stuck with figuring something out they usually bail my dumbass out and show me "how the pros" do it...

I'd think the envelope shipping would work just fine if you were buying from an individual. Companies might be different. REJ2

I guess that's true but wouldn't it be shipped just the same and require less work to ship if it was just taped to the invoice and shipped in an envelope.

I wonder if it would ship in a big box full of styrofoam peanuts. Nice carbon footprint.

If its a Stihl part I can believe it. I ordered two crankshaft seals for an 029. I cant remember off the top of my head what shipping was, but I know it was high enough it made me mad.

the same thing with carb kits. you could easily drop them in an envelope with the invoice and stick a 44¢ stamp on it. a kit for an 044 costs $17 at my local dealer. baileys has the kit for $12 and shipping costs $8......oh well, sometimes you can't lose for losing!!!

I guess that's true but wouldn't it be shipped just the same and require less work to ship if it was just taped to the invoice and shipped in an envelope.

I wonder if it would ship in a big box full of styrofoam peanuts. Nice carbon footprint.

No doubt that it wouldnt work, but companies that ship parts daily and for a living just dont trust a paper envelope. Not everything they ship that's small and light is as tough as a circlip. REJ2

These circlips I need are the earless 12mm that I need to use on my 7311. The ms440 uses a Mahle 50mm piston with 12mm pin same size and brand as the 7311 so I'm pretty sure the 440 uses the same earless circlips so I stopped in two stihl dealers and neither had them. The clip size is 12mm x 1mm with no ears.

I wanted to just get them right away and didn't even ask about ordering. I'll swing by the closest one again and have a talk about adding them to their next order. I actually came across a brand of clips that I think were like .60 cents each but then those were actually 12 bucks to ship from central Europe, these clips are used in piaggio. The ones I found for 2.59 are wiseo.

No doubt that it wouldnt work, but companies that ship parts daily and for a living just dont trust a paper envelope. Not everything they ship that's small and light is as tough as a circlip. REJ2

Usps also has padded envelopes that will do just fine. Still cost less than a buck to buy and ship those padded ones.

And if a company has many parts shipping out daily then there should be many different size envelopes/boxes to safely ship them with at reasonable prices. This way if someone buys more parts they can choose what size envelope/box they can use.

Now if there is a one size fits all parts box, then that is the reason for high shipping costs.

Usps also has padded envelopes that will do just fine. Still cost less than a buck to buy and ship those padded ones.

And if a company has many parts shipping out daily then there should be many different size envelopes/boxes to safely ship them with at reasonable prices. This way if someone buys more parts they can choose what size envelope/box they can use.

Now if there is a one size fits all parts box, then that is the reason for high shipping costs.

Yeah your right, i'm almost done with a cheap bottle of Moscato wine and my rationalization skills are somewhat compromised. I guess i was just trying to avoid saying they were XXXXing us. But it is what it is. REJ2

Yeah your right, i'm almost done with a cheap bottle of Moscato wine and my rationalization skills are somewhat compromised. I guess i was just trying to avoid saying they were XXXXing us. But it is what it is. REJ2

Moscato huh. I gotta try some of that. Every friday night I go through one bottle 750ml of Monte Velho 13.5% gets me everytime.

As far as the shipping goes, it is what it is and if you don't like it go somewhere else. I'll stop at the stihl dealer again when I drive by next. I don't want to make unnecessary trips there just for these things either.

No, not cheap but sensible. Unfortunately sense does not really apply to shipping from a business from the buyer's side. You are thinking first class letter postage, but it's first class "package"actually. Costs of the envelope, proof of delivery, insurance, and handling also need to be figured from "their" viewpoint in addition to the actual postage.
Does $8 suck for a set of clips? Yup, but it is what it is.

I ordered 2 little screws for a SnapOn Ratchet. They were 2 bucks and shipped in a huge box. Oh well thats how American business runs...Bob

since we're on the topic.... I doubt I've ever installed a piston without first spending 1/2 an hour on my knees searching for a clip that had been shot out of a piston fast enough to make a particle accelerator blush. Would it kill them to throw in an extra half dozen or so?!?!?!:mad-tongue:
by the way, thsese new smilies suck ass too!

Get ready to pay even more when the postal rates go up in a little over a month. I don't think all the rates will raise but some parcels will.

Never thought about hardware stores carrying piston circlips. I have a couple ACE's in the area, maybe I'll swing by one tomorrow to check.

Hardware stores don't have wrist pin clips. OEM wrist pin clips are made from high quality steel. Hardware stores have retaining rings, not suitable for use in a high-speed modern saw. PM me your address and I'll tape two new 440 wrist pin clips to a piece of cardstock and mail them to you for free.

since we're on the topic.... I doubt I've ever installed a piston without first spending 1/2 an hour on my knees searching for a clip that had been shot out of a piston fast enough to make a particle accelerator blush. Would it kill them to throw in an extra half dozen or so?!?!?!:mad-tongue:
by the way, thsese new smilies suck ass too!

That's why I keep a tackle box full of extra wrist pin clips and other goodies. Those and carb kit parts are the little things that are good to accumulate over the years.

Latest posts

Back