Do all loggers avoid safety like the plague?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locoweed said:
Wonder what Gypo does to keep his right hand so strong he can cut one handed? <G>

it's a device called wanker spanker a very fun equipment to work out with :p

Oh man, gypo, I couldnt stop laughing at your pictures. My wife even thought they were funny. In that one where your standing on the hang up, did you actually make that cut? I'm guessing not, since you'd have gone down with the tree!

I should come work for you, here's my safety record:

Ruined 5 different pairs of chaps due to carelessness, the last ones I cut all the way through, the chain got bound up, but the dawgs went into my leg.

Fell one douglas fir tree right on someone's fence 10 minutes after they told me "what ever you do, don't hit that fence".

Got another douglas fir tree hung up in an oak, cut the oak and both trees landed on the land owner's water well pump, destroying it.

Cut another hang up above my head and got clobered by the tree when it fell.

That's a rather good track record you have there SizzleChest, but if you haven't driven over a saw yet then to are too inexperienced I'd say. LOL
John
lumberjack4.jpg

run over saws? how about two Stihl 440s in under a week. one was only a few days old. good thing one was with a truck and one with a bobcat, we might have had to fire a truck

Ryan Willock said:
If you are on my job you WILL wear steel toe boots (or safety toe) as well as a hard hat. I've found some people just will NOT wear ear plugs or muffs so thats their problem. A guy that was cutting timber for me broke a major safety rule three weeks ago. He was felling a 5'' beech tree to open up a new skid trail and didn't cut down a dead 13'' locast snag that was free standing about 30 feet away from him (I cut down all snags BEFORE I start cutting other timber or I push'em over with the dozer or skidder) it had no noticable lean to it nor had any equipment been near it nor had any trees near it been felled. It was NOT windy. The guy was cutting the beech as I was hooking up to a turn of logs about 100 yards away on a differnt part of the strip and I saw the snag start to fall in his direction and I yelled to him ( don't know why, like he could hear me over a saw and muffs anyway) well for some reason he took half a step back just as the tree hit his head and that was enough to save him, it drove him to the ground and he was back on his feet by the time I got to him. By the grace of God he was NOT hurt (save for a headach) but if he hadn't had his hard hat on it would have KILLED him! He wanted to go back to work but I wouldn't let him. This guy had had six years experiance in the woods so he knew better than to work near a snag but got lazy. He is no longer cutting timber for me. I've gone back to cutting my own timber and letting someone else run the loader and the skidder.

I agree with all your safety equipment ideas except the STEEL TOED BOOTS!
Steel caps can amputate your toes if a log rolls on em'. At the least with "soft" boots you'll just have smashed toes that might stand a chance of being saved.

Hey Willock, I'll come cut your timber. I got an ear plug and everthing. What do you say? I'm real handy with the saw. For example, what a seasoned faller like myself would have done was put a face into that snag, then dumped that beach tree right into it, domino style. Two birds my friend, I would save you time and money cutting twice, maybe thrice as fast, depending on how many trees I could line up. See you monday morning on the landing bud!

If anyone had a brain they would know it is all mandatory when having employees. Workers Comp and lawsuits - yeah that stuff happens. I wear it all, just habit.

Heres a question what kind of moron would wear steel toe boots while working around logs? I have seen and herd of many instances wear toes have gotten snipped off just because something moved or rolled and because of a steel toe they have a club for a foot.

Sizzle-Chest said:
Hey Willock, I'll come cut your timber. I got an ear plug and everthing. What do you say? I'm real handy with the saw. For example, what a seasoned faller like myself would have done was put a face into that snag, then dumped that beach tree right into it, domino style. Two birds my friend, I would save you time and money cutting twice, maybe thrice as fast, depending on how many trees I could line up. See you monday morning on the landing bud!

Do it to get hang-ups out - call it a "Suicide Wedge" or "Gypo Jack" :)

i wear hearing and eye protection along with a hardhat. chaps only when im told to. im bad about that. ive gotten my ass chewed on for not wearing chaps a bunch of times at work. not much of a chance of getting fired now. i sit in the cab all day and trim trees. gettin kinda boring.

Back