Do Chainsaws Cut Better Closer to the Motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not following, are you guys talking about the DCO on the front of the saw?

Ok, that's something else new. I didn't know such a thing existed.

I think at Bailey's they mention in the FAQs section that you get "an extra inch above and below" with the dogs. I may have to order one of those handlebars.

Although now I'm wondering if my saw will fit in the case with those points sticking down...

what size power head are you using ?

You have confirmed my opinion of SoCal.

I'm not sure any part of Kalifornia has, or deserves, a positive image at this point.

As far as nude beaches are concerned, we have one and it's notoriously difficult to get to and the last time I was there, decades ago, was populated by people who should not have been running around naked.

If I had the bod for a nude beach, I think I'd take my business to the Caribbean. Someplace warm.

Hey, if it's true you shouldn't cook bacon naked, is the same thing true about using chainsaws?

Last night I ordered a set of Pro-Safety dogs from Bailey's.

Good luck using the 5 points in Eucalypt. Remember to bring a crowbar to lever them out when they get stuck :D The 5 points are crazy large and crazy sharp. They are probably akin to putting 24" rims on a Honda Civic.
I had a set of 5 point Pro Safetys on my ported 390XP - when falling our hardwoods I spent more time trying to remove the stuck spikes from the tree trunks than actually cutting.
I know some people like them for thick barked species like Douglas Fir etc in the US but in Eucalypts or other Australian type hardwoods they are useless.

Now that I'm done laughing...

Is it possible your bar is worn near the tip allowing the chain to "roll" and not cut square? Get the rails square and it doesn't matter what you do.

Every saw I have ever dogged in cut faster at the tip... Just sayin'.

...set you on fire. Still laughing.

You're also a lot closer to the point of torque, which is saying the point where all the torque is coming from.

Breaking new ground in physics- not. :dizzy:

WTF is "point of torque"? Just made that up? :msp_ohmy:

It's all over with torque where the chain hits the sprocket. Then it's purely tensile force, on the chain.

OTOH, cutting near the power head, it's easy to let its weight press on the chain (bucking) and to have torque YOU apply via grips or dogs result in force on the chain. Really simple physics.

The "doh" factor: if you have to press, STOP and sharpen the chain. Notice the dust?

It should not mater unless the chain is dull and you teeter totter the saw then it cuts faster.

Back