Do our chainsaws pollute more than a full-sized pickup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
??????

Gary,

Some of the posts that commented on that article are interesting. Of course, the Ford Raptor Pickup's exhaust is cleaner than the ambient air it "breathes" in. In other words, by driving the Ford, you are CLEANING UP the air!!!!

On other hand, it would be just about impossible for any chainsaw user to saw as many hours as you drive a car in a year, other than hardcore full-time loggers.

Thus the real answer is: Chainsaws aren't worth the effort to make them cleaner.

No surprise to me. A 2-stroke engine is a massive compromise, trying to get the a/f mixture in there and the exhaust out at the same time. And a very simple carb with no means of feedback or even an acceleration circuit.

Note however, that they don't mention CO2, because that is simply a function of how much fuel you use. It's not toxic and was not typically considered a pollutant.

Last edited:
Is this thread going to lead to many straight gassed 2 strokes in the end? Or straight ethanoled?

It depends on exactly what you mean by "pollute more"

If you mean more unburned fuel going out the exhaust into the air, probably the saw hour for hour.

If you mean more CO2 total it's the truck, because that's just a case of how much fuel goes in.

NOx, not sure, don't know enough about the two different engines' exhaust gas to say.

I think when people say that a small engine pollutes more (I've heard people say that a lawnmower "pollutes" more than a car or truck) they are usually talking about the amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust fumes.

Now how about comparing a well maintained saw to an older truck with poor maintenance, i.e. dirty air filter, in need of new spark plugs, etc..?

It depends to what kind of truck you compare them to.
A Dodge Cummins going up hill will turn a white prius into a black taurus anyday
but not so much with the new saws today.

I severely doubt it but I ain't no college edumacated man either..... I would say that me driving a truck 45 miles is close to the same as running a saw for 8 hours, figuring that I would have used 3 gallons of fuel in either one in the given amount of time. Then again it is not exactly "fair" to compare a chainsaw to a fuel injected 6cyl that has 1-2 catalytic convertors. Then you would have to factor in older trucks without convertors, newer trucks with a bad O2 sensor and the list goes on and on.

How about we attack the professional drag racing circuit next?? How much emissions does a 747 Jet put out?

Last edited:
What about the gallons & gallons of bar oil slung everywhere, from the chain? I'm covered in oil after a few hrs running a saw.

I think there are some points being missed here. First of all, there are far more cars and trucks than chainsaws, so they generate far more total pollution - which is why it made more sense to put limits on cars first.

Second, they were comparing leaf blowers, not chainsaws. There is no useful purpose to a leaf blower and I'd be delighted if every last one of them threw a rod. But I use my chainsaw to collect firewood to heat my house. The few gallons of fuel I burn in the saws and tractor directly prevents the burning of many times more heating oil. So there is a major net reduction in CO2 output, and likely in other pollutants too. On the other hand, I could do that with a 4-stroke saw just as well, but then I could likely not afford one even if they started making them, and it ignores all the pollution that would be generated in manufacturing it. You gotta look at the big picture.

Pious Polluter

"You gotta look at the big picture."

Yeah, like the "Pious" battery have such toxic chemicals, you walk by one too slowly and your kids will be born with two heads.

Hey, I LIKE leaf blowers!

"You gotta look at the big picture."

Yeah, like the "Pious" battery have such toxic chemicals, you walk by one too slowly and your kids will be born with two heads.

Hey, I LIKE leaf blowers!

If you're using your chainsaw right, you don't need a leafblower.

You could be like my neighbor and go all electric.

Electric Chainsaw

Electric Lawnmower

Electric Leaf Blower

Electric Weed Wacker.

His system works real well as long as he isn't cutting more than 1/8 inch off his grass.

I take it you guys really don't like leaf blowers!! I wouldn't try to sweep all the grass I cut that ends up in a customer's driveway or street. Would defeat the purpose of trying to make a $.

You could be like my neighbor and go all electric.

Electric Chainsaw

Electric Lawnmower

Electric Leaf Blower

Electric Weed Wacker.

His system works real well as long as he isn't cutting more than 1/8 inch off his grass.

I take it you guys really don't like leaf blowers!! I wouldn't try to sweep all the grass I cut that ends up in a customer's driveway or street. Would defeat the purpose of trying to make a $.

In other words, your neighbor has a:

Coal powered chainsaw

Coal powered Lawnmower

Coal powered Leaf blower

Coal powered weed whacker

LOL!!!

Good for him! No foreign oil used to make Polar bears cry!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back