Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fixitguy75 said:
Hey red, What part of Kansas are you in? I've got lot's of family up there around Emporia/ Council Grove area.

Just outside of Wichita, they are a bit north of me.
Andy

always wear full protective gear!

unless I have a brain fart and catch myself cutting without gear on. I'll stop immediately and put my chaps, etc on.

You will not really understand untill you see blood and meat all over, you'll know you have a sharp chain if there are strips of skin like 4" long hanging down from the wound. The nurse will snip them off at the hospital with scissors, then she will pull the meat back together with forceps so the doc can stitch the two sides back together. More fun than you can imagine, been there, do you need a picture as well?

No picture necessary, I have a good imagination. That's why I ordered the chaps to begin with. I'm curious how one cuts oneself on the leg with a saw, though, it kinda doesn't seem like something that's very likely to happen. And of course it doesn't happen very often, or there'd be groups like MASC (mothers against sick chainsawing). But I know it COULD happen, I ride motorcycles too, and nearly always wear my helmet and Aerostich. Like I say, I have a good imagination, and in the case of motorcycles, also have the memory of sliding along on my face, inside my full-face helmet, and not feeling a thing. W/o a helmet, I wouldn't have a nose...

zemmo: would you like me to send you the pics of my jeans with the saw marks across them? It's not only possible, but very easy!!!!

I SHOULD wear them all the time, I WILL NOT insult anyone that does!!! It is a good practice, I am old and set in my ways, and need to change that!!! DON'T TEMPT IT!!!! Learn young and get in the habit!!! Don't be an old fool like me!!!
Andy

Edit: How about pics of my old mans boots with the saw marks across the tops of them? He never did cut his foot, but I don't know how!!!
LISTEN to Clearance!!!!!!!

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:
zemmo: would you like me to send you the pics of my jeans with the saw marks across them? It's not only possible, but very easy!!!!

I SHOULD wear them all the time, I WILL NOT insult anyone that does!!! It is a good practice, I am old and set in my ways, and need to change that!!! DON'T TEMPT IT!!!! Learn young and get in the habit!!! Don't be an old fool like me!!!
Andy

I'd like to know how you did it! I'm afraid I'm already plenty old, if I was still a kid I wouldn't use chaps, and would ride motorcycles in cut-offs and t-shirts. It's just that I can envision all SORTS of ways to screw up with a saw, but none of them put the cutters in my leg (maybe my foot).

Limbing a tree for droping, or even bucking, hold the saw to the right of you're body, tilt it on side, and put the bar towards you're left leg before the chain stops, no throttle thank God!!! It's so easy to swing the saw and get a leg its almost funny!!! I have done that bonehead move twice now!! Sounds harder than it is, just envision getting the saw out of the way quickly, so you're help can grab a log or roll the tree for you.
Andy

always! i went thruogh a chainsaw safety course and some of HUMAN (not saw) mishaps are downright gruesome. as far as them bein hot....I don't think they are anything special in that department but the ladies seem to like them. well worth the money......period.

That makes perfect sense. Kinda the same sort of deal that got my buddy, (throttle closed, inattention open). How about a WFO throttle leg injury, anyone know of any of those, and their mechanics?

hookeroon

SRT-Tech said:
to save my back...i move rounds with it from a standing position, NO bending down or over to pick up firewood. Very useful for unloading the truck, one pickaroon in each hand, stab and chuck the chunks of wood. very fast once you get in a rythm.

:rockn:

chekc the PEAVEY, CANTHOOK thread in CHAINSAW forum, some pics of one in use there...

I use the hooks as well. Works best in pairs. Keeps ya balanced!

As for the chaps, chaps. I have some saw pants. Excellent protection, but also quite warm in summer. I don't always wear them. I fell a few feet, and saw was still winding down (uh oh). OOPS!

Just like that, in a second or so, I had a nice gash on the left knee.
It is amazing how far you can cut into your leg and not get anthing vital.
I have a nice scar for a reminder.

-Pat

chainsaw injury, including a very detailed closeup of the chainsaw pant fibers & Kevlar pad. Leg would have been completely SEVEREDhad the chainsaw pants not been worn.

WARNING: gruesome image, large file

http://www.ghettomedic.com/forum/photopost/data/503/100_4656.JPG

facial injury: (kickback)
http://www.osh.govt.nz/news/press/2006/chainsaw-kickback.jpg

Link to some stats:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AE186

QOUTE: "More than 40,000 people are injured by chain saws each year.

The two most common places for injuries are the front left thigh and the back of the left hand.

A chain saw chain can move up to 68 miles per hour.

When a chain saw is at full speed, more than 600 teeth pass a given point per second.

A muffler on a chain saw can reach as much as 900 degrees F.

One in 5 chain saw injuries are from kickback."

Unqoute

Last edited:
Yes, and helmet and steel toe boots and gloves. Your buddies will look at you funny but will get used to it. Yes, the chaps are hot temperature wise but it's better than having nurses take pics of your leg and them end up in chap threads. I wear all of my gear 98% of the time and I'm just a weekend warrior firewood cutter.

Ian

Yes they can be a little warm but thats nice when its cold out. I remember when i first started cutting R/W I walked up behind a co-worker ,I didnt have chaps on , his saw running he turns and just nips my pants very close to my manhood. I have always worn chaps since. The best tree guys you will ever see are the safest. Only a moron would laugh at someone being safe.

Got mine from Baileys. They're all over, though, Husky and Stihl both sell them Google it and you'll get plenty of links.

Gee thanks SRT-Tech, think I'll put the spaghetti dins off for a day or two (jk, jk, I loves spaghetti), I have a good mate who wasn't so lucky on his facial, he's alive but smiles kind funny. Yup on the upper leg cuts, yup on PPE. My one time fight with a saw was upper left thigh and I got off easy with 7 ragged stitches, the one day I wasn't wearing my chaps :bang: and using a big ol' dolmar, could have been far worse as I was doing a plunge cut with the saw on its side (hand away from the brake) *cringe*. Someone has 'misplaced' my half chaps and I do not intend to cut without another pair on hand (body). Buy it, use it, along with all the other gear, life is too short as it is to be muckin' about without it. Just to say, I am far more nervous using a little screamer with a short bar (well maybe not nervous but extra-extra cautious) than the bigger saws I've had the pleasure to run, and no matter what I use am always aware to stay 'outta the bite zone', being aware of where the tip is too, and that goes for any high tension rigging when yarding things. Complacency kills. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too safe. My 0.02$ worth fer the afternoon.

:cheers: and stay safe gents! Santa will and others will be very happy with ya!

Back