Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, I'll go try on the stihl helmet for $49 at dealer.

what about the stihl protective shirts? dealer wants $63, any good?
http://www.stihl.us/apparel/features_shirt.html

what's everyone else using in the way of protective shirts/jacket?

man... I'm going to look like really funny when all this comes in.
much better to look funny and be safe!

SWE#Kipp said:
046 I would buy a Peltor helmet, topnotch stuff :)
very comfortable and you change muffs on them with different dampening !
I think Stihls helmet is a Peltor helm, much more comfy then huskys ,,,,

Rivet Watcher said:
SRT - Where'd you get dat? I want one.:jawdrop:

Lee Valley Tools. only thing you'll need to do is "rehang" the pick part, and drive in some penny nails into the wedge to keep it in. oh and linseed oil the entrie thing.

046 said:
thanks, I'll go try on the stihl helmet for $49 at dealer.

what about the stihl protective shirts? dealer wants $63, any good?
http://www.stihl.us/apparel/features_shirt.html

what's everyone else using in the way of protective shirts/jacket?

man... I'm going to look like really funny when all this comes in.
much better to look funny and be safe!

I wear this husky shirt on occasion. Short sleeve.

I don't know if they are available in the US, but I use these:

http://www.abbeypro.co.uk/chainsaw-clothing/sip-freedom-clothing/showitem-FREE1.aspx

I used to have some Stihl equivalents, but they were so hot and heavy that I often skipped using them. The SIP trousers feel very comfortable, even in hot weather. I also use the Stihl gloves with a kevlar backed left hand, as well as the Peltor/Stihl helmet/shield/muffs combination.

It is all too easy to slice your left leg with a saw. It happened to me with a small saw (Stihl 024) when I was cutting a bit of firewood. I didn't engage the brake before clearing something out of the way, and the next thing I knew, I had sliced my shin. No stitches, but still have the scar, and have (hopefully) learnt the lesson.

rxe said:
I don't know if they are available in the US, but I use these:

http://www.abbeypro.co.uk/chainsaw-clothing/sip-freedom-clothing/showitem-FREE1.aspx

I used to have some Stihl equivalents, but they were so hot and heavy that I often skipped using them. The SIP trousers feel very comfortable, even in hot weather. I also use the Stihl gloves with a kevlar backed left hand, as well as the Peltor/Stihl helmet/shield/muffs combination.

It is all too easy to slice your left leg with a saw. It happened to me with a small saw (Stihl 024) when I was cutting a bit of firewood. I didn't engage the brake before clearing something out of the way, and the next thing I knew, I had sliced my shin. No stitches, but still have the scar, and have (hopefully) learnt the lesson.

They don't seem to be available in the US. All the google links are uk.

noticed that too... seems all the good protective gear is offered in UK.

all we get a SUPER loud ORANGE stihl protective shirt.
what would it hurt to offer protective gear that looks normal?

maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

Well if you think about it the orange isnt all that bad.

Most of the time when we are gathering wood its close to hunting season....and I know the rule is never work alone, but allot of us do that too. Having on the bright orange could save your life if your lying on your back immobile and someone is looking for you.

zemmo said:
They don't seem to be available in the US. All the google links are uk.

SIP pants are available from Sherrill, if that is what you were looking for.

already got a nice pair of black Stihl chaps.

sure would like to find a normal looking protective shirt, similar to Husky shirt posted. only long sleeve. without paying shipping from UK preferably...

do have a pair of stihl protective gloves en route. may have to settle for that LOUD orange stihl shirt :taped:

I have seen up close and personal ten feet from me that chap can save you from a major injury. They guy working with me was cutting a branch and when the saw came through the branch he lost his footing and slipped backwards with the saw hitting right on his thigh, the chaps went "Poof" stopping that chain so fast I could not believe it, he could not believe it either that he walked away unhurt, he had to take the chaps off because the saw was still atached to them, I also got to see a guy get the crotch cut out of his jeans when making a cut with the saw between his legs and the chain came off swung up and cut his jeans wide open, you should have seen the look on his face, :censored: looked like he saw a ghost as he shut the saw off and checked for damage lol, luckily he just missed getting himself and it only cost him a pair of pants I don't think chaps would have helped him but a close on just the same, I still tease him about that one ten years later and he no longer makes cuts between his feet! Jon

I did get chaps from Labonville and very pleased with how they look and feel. Also ordered a Peltor helmet from Bailey's. Very comfortable and I like the way the visor and hearing protection are set up. It will be a while before I get to use my new PPE, but I don't regret the purchase.

I have a pair os stihl chaps

and for my 15 year old son I got him a pair of husky safety pants.. I figure he needs more protection than I do, if you know what I mean.

Back