Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a pair. I was cutting a few weeks back and the saw took longer to wind down then usual. Maybe it was the cold weather or what ever. I wasn't expecting the chain to still be spinning and as I turned, the chain cut thru my pants. Luckily for me I was wearing my double fronted Carhardt duck pants. I think that if I was only wearing jeans I'd be able to add a picture.

I
was clearing after hurricane Ivan,never cut myself,20 years,and a friend gave me a pair as a gift as I left to do releif. I put them on to cover the bandage I used to stop the bleeding. I then threw chaps to the others that werent wearing them, they looked at me and I just said"Trust Me".worn them ever since.

Its like my dentist said when I said it was a pain to floss.

" Thats okay Rob, no problem. Just floss the ones you want to keep."

I showed my friend the forestry safety helmet by Peltor in the Bailey's catalog recently. He quickly laughed and said......."What the heck do you need that fancy thing for? "That's overkill on safety!" I looked at him and shook my head. I explained that the forestry helmet is for anybody (beginner to professional). He didn't really understand and it really didn't surprise me either. He usually only wears ear plugs and leather gloves......thats it! I'm guilty of not using chaps, which I'm looking to get some soon.

Not wanting to start a huge debate like which is better Stihl or Husky, but is there different qualities of chaps or will anything made for cutting due?

When i started out using chaps they was hard to wear for a while, but you get used to them..I even give people around here some for getting fire wood in so they would be safer.

Not wanting to start a huge debate like which is better Stihl or Husky, but is there different qualities of chaps or will anything made for cutting due?

yes, not all chaps are the same.
- are they long enough to cover into where your boot tops are
- do they wrap around at the bottom of the leg (this is nice but not all do)
- is the protective fabric high enough (to the waist) or does it start mid-thigh
- how many layers of fabric are there
- is the backing of the chaps slippery or does it have some grip to it so they don't twist around your leg as you move
- are there enough clips for the legs and do they clip tight enough so the caps aren't flapping around on you
- is the outer shell tough enough for your environment so it won't tear/snag

just some things that come to mind.

I recently got a pair of the Labonville full wrap chaps, and they are really rugged and still comfortable.
If any of you guys are still looking, check em out.

I recently got a pair of the Labonville full wrap chaps, and they are really rugged and still comfortable.
If any of you guys are still looking, check em out.

+1 on the Labonvilles. The selling point for me was the range of sizes. If you are tall, they can fit you.

I just went to the Labonville website....they do have a lot of sizes. I am looking at the full wrap as I usually use an old pair firefighter boots to cut in and I am hoping the full wrap will keep my boots from filling with chips! I found the best price on them is on the Labonville website.

Mine are from Stihl and were available in 3 lengths IIRC. I'm 6'4" and the longest size fits pretty well. I got the orange ones fron Stihl with the full-wrap lower leg sections. I think I paid $60 or so for them a few years ago and I now won't cut without them.
Finnbear

echoing what others have already said.

it's a PITA when you first start wearing chaps, but gets to be second nature quick. now I feel funny cutting without chaps.

can't comment about any other brand, but my sthil chaps goes on/off in about a minute.... faster if I hurry.

fairly comfortable to wear and use. can't say the same about stihl chainsaw mitts. they shouldn't label them gloves. no description in stihl catalog. dealer was miffed too when they came in as mitts.

can't say the same about stihl chainsaw mitts. they shouldn't label them gloves. no description in stihl catalog. dealer was miffed too when they came in as mitts.

indeed! :deadhorse:

i got mine for $6 because they sat on the shelf for 2 years... :hmm3grin2orange:

Wore my chaps for a few hours today while cutting firewood.Once they were on and adjusted,I pretty much didn't notice them.The zipper pocket on the Elvex chaps is a nice touch,and overall the quality is pretty good.I'll be wearing them whenever I'm cutting now.

Went an bought chaps

After reading through this thread I went and bought a pair of stihl chaps yesterday.

I only occasionally cut, so really hadn't thought about them before. I am 6'2" with a 36" inseam in jeans. I bought the orange 36" 6-ply apron chaps and they seem to fit well. Wore them for a couple of hours while cutting and didn't really notice they were there after about 10 minutes. They have 2 quick snap buckles on each leg and one at the waist, very easy to get on and off. Cost about $70 at the stihl dealer, the 9-ply was $83.

I will wear them when cutting from now on. Remember only takes a split second to change your life forever. And one trip to the ER would pay for them 4-5 times over.

Great Thread, should be required reading. Safety first, happy cutting!!!

I got a set of the orange work safe chaps from Bailey's for Christmas. I like the fact that they have a heavy cordura facing on them so they are less likely to get tore up working amogst the buck brush and multiflora rose that inhabits my dad's timber.

Don

Latest posts

Back