Do you guys really wear chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting pics to prove this point might give you one more red box.

Punch.gif

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I bought chaps as soon as I started using chainsaws. I don't mind them at all. I do have a confession though:

When I first bought them they looked too new so I wiped down my bar oil and greasy sawdust mixture with them and then smeared them in the dirt to give them a little patina. You know, more of a seasoned look! I didn't want to look like the guy on the ski slopes that has brand new gear with the tags still on them.

Shhhhhh! Do not tell anyone. ;)

Aside from saving your legs (and life) they are great for working on hillsides that have a lot of sticker bushes!

How Many Stitches ?

Pretty bad cut. You might not want to look.

No reason for chaps?

We told you not to cut nude :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The time I cut without chaps, tiny 136 saw, up a tree, hot summer day. Just missed the patella, 8 expensive stitches in the $$$ emergency room. The ER nurses and SWMBO got a big kick out of the tears in my eyes when they ripped ( "you want it off fast or slow") the tape and hair off my leg. :chainsawguy:

Chaps and me

I never thought I would write this for someone to read. But after running a saw off and on for over 20 years and not wearing chaps, it happened today.

I was using my 460 with a 24 inch bar and was cutting a downed locust tree my neighbor had put on the ground yesterday. I was cutting the tree to firewood size and turned the saw to my left as I always do when I am done with a cut.

I felt the saw bump my leg and the next thing I knew the bar had my chaps wrapped around the chain and the saw had stopped. I will admit I dont have that much experience with a bigger saw and bigger bar. I used to use my 034 with a 20 on it.

So I had no injury to my leg, the chaps are still use able as they only have a 7 inch gash in them. So yes I wear chaps and dont have any cuts or injury thanks to them.:)

Shipper

I never thought I would write this for someone to read. But after running a saw off and on for over 20 years and not wearing chaps, it happened today.

I was using my 460 with a 24 inch bar and was cutting a downed locust tree my neighbor had put on the ground yesterday. I was cutting the tree to firewood size and turned the saw to my left as I always do when I am done with a cut.

I felt the saw bump my leg and the next thing I knew the bar had my chaps wrapped around the chain and the saw had stopped. I will admit I dont have that much experience with a bigger saw and bigger bar. I used to use my 034 with a 20 on it.

So I had no injury to my leg, the chaps are still use able as they only have a 7 inch gash in them. So yes I wear chaps and dont have any cuts or injury thanks to them.:)

Shipper

Shipper50, glad to see you are OK!

You should throw those chaps away. They served their purpose. Get news ones now that they have been cut.

Shipper

If any of the protective material came out of the chaps, the particular layer it came from is compromised.

Here's a little game to play:
Open up the cut in the nylon and see how many layers have been "used".
Count how may are left to protect the next hit.
Go look up the deductible on an emergency room visit.
Place your order for new chaps... :popcorn:

my new saw scares the bejesus out of me so i got a new set of chaps and a helemt yesterday - gonna use them all day today cleaning my lot, felling dead trees and bucking firewood

If any of the protective material came out of the chaps, the particular layer it came from is compromised.

Here's a little game to play:
Open up the cut in the nylon and see how many layers have been "used".
Count how may are left to protect the next hit.
Go look up the deductible on an emergency room visit.
Place your order for new chaps... :popcorn:

I can count the layers that came out as most of them are laying in my garage. I get the message from you guys that I should just buy new ones and throw the old ones away.

I will see if I can find another bargain on Ebay as I did with these. $50 shipped was better than $100's on doctor bills.:(

Shipper

I can count the layers that came out as most of them are laying in my garage. I get the message from you guys that I should just buy new ones and throw the old ones away.

I will see if I can find another bargain on Ebay as I did with these. $50 shipped was better than $100's on doctor bills.:(

Shipper

Labonville. They're a sponsor here. Good product and good people.

Keep the one good leg. You can double up the left leg when you start running a race saw... :)

bar safety

Shipper50:

I think any reasonable person would agree that we all are a little less of a sawyer when we change equipment.

Even just a four inch longer bar messes with us a little.

Glad they worked.

Labonville. They're a sponsor here. Good product and good people.

Keep the one good leg. You can double up the left leg when you start running a race saw... :)

:clap: Double them up on the left leg? Good idea! The left leg on my chaps always has more wear and tear than the right so when I wear out a pair I'll just save the right leg and double 'em up on the left side. :cheers:

:clap: Double them up on the left leg? Good idea! The left leg on my chaps always has more wear and tear than the right so when I wear out a pair I'll just save the right leg and double 'em up on the left side. :cheers:

Yeah, I come up with a good one every once in a while... :laugh:

Just make sure you stitch it on the seams, where it's already sewn...

Full PPE

I wear all of my PPE.
The helmet w/faceshield, and hearing protection, gloves, chaps and steel tor boots.
I bought it all at the sametime I bought my first saw. So it's been habit from day one.
I don't wear the chaps if I'm climbing, though. But I'm not doing that as often as I'm on the ground.

I'm a machinist, welder and recently been to aircraft sheetmetal school. So wearing PPE has been ingrained in me due to always working in a shop environment.

Mitch

I wear everything, except the head gear and protective gloves - unless when needed........:monkey: :monkey:
Here is Witchy, with more PPE, and the MS361:

attachment.php

Looks like you two are going to have to have more long nights with fires and less cutting.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back